Winnipeg Falcons

Patchey13

I've been sketching around the past few days when I heard about the Thrashers to Winnipeg rumors. Since theres so many Jets concepts out there I figured I would go down a different road, and name the team the Falcons. The Falcons were the first team to win Olympic gold for Canada and I thought it would be a nice throwback. I had gone through a few different poses, before settling down on a simple 2d view, and the pose was heavily inspired by an low res image I found deep in a google search, unfortunately I can't find it, and post it as a comparison. I tried to use simple shapes to define the details. I realize that it turned out to be very similar to the Capitals old eagle logo, which I didn't even have in mind at the time.

For the alternate logo, I was going for something like the Thrashers overhead logo, while trying to work in a 'W', with the bird taking the shape of a maple leaf.

falcons2.png

I was determined to finish the logo set before posting, but I've got about as far as I can, and I'd love to get your guy's help to bring this along for what would hopefully be the final steps. The big problems I see are the lack of details on the Alternate, and meshing the logos and colour scheme to tie them together. Hope you like it and I hope to hear your comments.

Whatever you do, please have a gold jersey. It wouldn't be the falcons without it

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Whatever you do, please have a gold jersey. It wouldn't be the falcons without it

Already got one made out. I plan on having the Falcon Leaf logo on the front. Thanks for your comments so far, but any tips on how to improve these?

I was tinkering around with some different colour schemes, and thought I'd get your opinions. I replaced the Dark Grey in the original with Brown, and tested out a Red white and Blue colour scheme, as well as a double blue and gold scheme

falcons3.png

falcons4.png

falcons5.png

I'd still love to get ANY feedback possible to improve this.

Logo on left:

Well you need to have only 3 colors. Which is why I like the 2nd one. But the 3rd (gold/blue) color scheme could really work if you got rid of that darker blue/black. I can barely tell the difference but then again I'm color blind. The dual dark does not work.

Other than that it looks great. I would definitely thicken the white strokes A LOT. Every line could be cleaned up too (I don't know what program you are using but it's pretty choppy). The 2 line wings should also come to a point (as opposed to a square like they are now. imagine them as tips of the wing). Main thing is the white outline though. it looks great. it's simple and sleek and a great design.

Logo on Right:

Same things with color issues. I LOVE the IDEA, but I dislike the way its rendered. The white line is better on this one, but all the lines need to be cleaned up. The whole silhouette can be much better. The tail, wings, and head can be sleeker and the tail feathers need to be much, much bigger.The leaf is great, and try to render the rest in that style.

I hope this helps. I'll be checking back!

Logo on left:

Well you need to have only 3 colors. Which is why I like the 2nd one. But the 3rd (gold/blue) color scheme could really work if you got rid of that darker blue/black. I can barely tell the difference but then again I'm color blind. The dual dark does not work.

Other than that it looks great. I would definitely thicken the white strokes A LOT. Every line could be cleaned up too (I don't know what program you are using but it's pretty choppy). The 2 line wings should also come to a point (as opposed to a square like they are now. imagine them as tips of the wing). Main thing is the white outline though. it looks great. it's simple and sleek and a great design.

Logo on Right:

Same things with color issues. I LOVE the IDEA, but I dislike the way its rendered. The white line is better on this one, but all the lines need to be cleaned up. The whole silhouette can be much better. The tail, wings, and head can be sleeker and the tail feathers need to be much, much bigger.The leaf is great, and try to render the rest in that style.

I hope this helps. I'll be checking back!

THANK YOU! That was perfect. I don't quite understand the bolded part though.

no problem. I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I know what its like to not get the criticism you want/need.

I thought the bolded part may be a problem. here is my best to explain it.

you see how in these logos, the inside lines come to a point (2 lines meeting to make a point) as opposed to a square like yours? (3 lines- 2 long and then 1 short to connect the 2)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/TheFixerGraphics/grandforkslogo-1.png

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/TheFixerGraphics/chickenhawks.png

if you don't get it-it's not that big of a deal. I just think the 2 lines within your wings would look a little better "pointed"

and this old topic of mine, may or may not help. There is another one (I think called "eagle logo" or something, that may help more)

edit- second thought. the head of #1 might look a little better, smoother like my ice hawks logo. just an idea-feel free not to take it! :)

no problem. I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I know what its like to not get the criticism you want/need.

I thought the bolded part may be a problem. here is my best to explain it.

you see how in these logos, the inside lines come to a point (2 lines meeting to make a point) as opposed to a square like yours? (3 lines- 2 long and then 1 short to connect the 2)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/TheFixerGraphics/grandforkslogo-1.png

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss224/TheFixerGraphics/chickenhawks.png

if you don't get it-it's not that big of a deal. I just think the 2 lines within your wings would look a little better "pointed"

and this old topic of mine, may or may not help. There is another one (I think called "eagle logo" or something, that may help more)

edit- second thought. the head of #1 might look a little better, smoother like my ice hawks logo. just an idea-feel free not to take it! :)

Oh, you mean the F I added inside the wing right?

Sigma kappa did a falcon logo (possibly for winnipeg) that's crazy similar. And he had the F too. I'll see it I can ffind it. May help

Edit

http://www.puckdrawn.com/puckdrawn/2010/05/friday-afternoon-nhl-expansion-design-concepts.html

Yeah, I looked at his before starting. It was actually the inspiration for adding the F, because going with a more detailed wing seemed like it would have clashed with the simplicity in the rest of the logo.

I like where this is going though. The bird/leaf logo is pretty cool!

Your link didn't work, but I'm fairly sure I know which logo you're talking about. Yeah, I was definitely proud of the Bird/Leaf when I first sketched it, and I think it could become a VERY strong mark once it's fine tuned.

I really like where this is going, and the back and forth with feedback and design is exactly what this board needs more of.

I don't have much to contribute, other than to point out that the rumored colors of the Winnipeg franchise will be Blue, Red and Gold. I think vegas gold would work better (a la pre-edge Penguins), but an athletic gold would match the original Falcons. You've experimented with blue/gold, why not try blue/red/gold? It would be a great high-contrast color, and it might already be in the works.

I also think the original shoulder patch should be incorporated somehow, either as a tertiary logo or as an element of the secondary, which kinda looks like it should be on a beer bottle. It looks very professional and well executed (really, couldn't you see that for a new American Labatt? It really does look like a professional brand), but just doesn't seem to have that substance for a sports team just yet.

konniejerseybadge.jpg

Keep at it, this is one of the best threads on this board right now, hands down.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I updated the Primary, I figured out how to get a nice clean outline on inkscape. I got rid of the F in the wing for the moment, as I'm not satisfied with how to integrate it. I tried the Red Blue and Gold scheme Hockey Week suggested. I'm still working on the Secondary logo, but I'm having some trouble with the bird.

Falconsprimary1.png

Keep the comments coming.

Great update. I would now:

-Thicken the blue line in between the head and the body

-still thicken the white line

-retrace it all using as little anchor points and big (and not sharp) curves just so it looks a little be more natural.

-and MAYBE try to make it consistent and not have any red touch the white. So put a blue outline inside the wing so it goes: redwing/ blue outline/ white outline.

-I'd like the see the F in again too

But the design is great, its a really solid and well designed logo. It just needs a little cleaning :)

I updated the Primary, I figured out how to get a nice clean outline on inkscape. I got rid of the F in the wing for the moment, as I'm not satisfied with how to integrate it. I tried the Red Blue and Gold scheme Hockey Week suggested. I'm still working on the Secondary logo, but I'm having some trouble with the bird.

Falconsprimary1.png

Keep the comments coming.

That is REALLY sharp. I think the outer line of the wing should be kept, though, or at least some sort of definition on the wing to give it a little more depth. Seriously though, if I found that logo on a hat, I'd wear it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived