• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CFL-NFL Comparison

Dear CFL,

Sincerely,

The NFL

Ya the CFL isnt locked out....

Beat me to it. I just watched a actual live on TV CFL game last night. So far the only thing I've heard about the NFL recently is that their "negotiations" have actually been backsliding and they're about a week from losing their first preseason game.

I would compare the Eskimos to the Packers they look a like and both have 13 titles.

And are both community owned. I like this more then the Saskatchewan comparison, but Green Bay has had more success recently.

I could buy Edmonton as the Packers, but I thought that Saskatchewan's smallest market status, the fact that they're Regina's only "major" pro team and how they're a "province-wide" team where Saskatoon is just as important to the Riders' market the way Milwaukee is to the Packers (in fact, didn't the Riders used to play some home games in Saskatoon like how the Packers played in Milwaukee?) just made the Riders a better fit for the Packers.

Interestingly enough, I was thinking the Broncos for the Eskies, but the Broncos performance in Super Bowls (2 wins in 6 appearences) is more akin to the Riders (3 wins in 18 appearences) whereas the Eskies (13 Grey Cups, as Tank pointed out) is more like the Packers.

I think the Raiders comparison to the Lions might be a lot more accurate than at first glance. I mean, this is a city that tried to burn itself down for pulling a New England in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

However, I think the Roughriders would probably be more like the Broncos as was pointed out earlier, and the Eskimos, more like the Packers, not only in colors, but history also. I mean, the Broncos have grown in popularity since their Orange Crush season in 1977, and with the drafting of Elway, because a national favorite. Sometimes, when I attend NFL games, and the Broncos are involved, I'll spot quite a few Elway/Davis/Sharpe jerseys. Plus, you can't doubt the marketability of Tim Tebow in the states either. If he can live up to expectations and be a solid quarterback, the Broncos might have found another face of the franchise for years to come.

However, despite not having as many championships as this team, I'd actually call the Roughriders more like the Cowboys. They're the most popular football team in Canada, with their merchandise sales only trailing the Maple Leafs and Canadians in the great, white north. Plus, Ron Lancaster/Roger Staubach, Rider Nation/America's Team, and both teams have their share of bad years and good years.

Problem with the Lions/Raiders comparisons though are that the Lions actually have fans who show up to games and they've actually won alot in recent years unlike the hapless Raiders.

Nah, I was just joking about the riots and Raider fans in general. Honestly, the Lions are an interesting team, because there's not one NFL team I could easily compare them with. Maybe the Broncos, due to them having orange in their uniform and having a legendary quarterback lead them to their first title and later be a part of their front office, a Joe Kapp/John Elway comparison, but that's the best I can come up with.

However, despite not having as many championships as this team, I'd actually call the Roughriders more like the Cowboys. They're the most popular football team in Canada, with their merchandise sales only trailing the Maple Leafs and Canadians in the great, white north. Plus, Ron Lancaster/Roger Staubach, Rider Nation/America's Team, and both teams have their share of bad years and good years.

As much as I hate the cowboys its hard for me to argue that logic...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I love the live ball on missed field goals. Makes it that much more interesting when someone opts for it, rather than the "Allstate" net going up behind the goalposts and an almost sure thing happening every time.

B)

(even though it was against my team) :flagcanada::shocked:

Levingston's return > Cromartie's return

Also All Day going All Day on the Chargers defense was a bigger story in that game. :P

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

B)

(even though it was against my team) :flagcanada::shocked:

The NFL would like to respond by saying, "no fair, your field is bigger." In addition, Goodell will now assess an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and a $20,000 fine to the CFL for trying to upstage the NFL. :P

The CFL would like to respond with this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYOz8LxnTw0

At least they don't rig championship games up in the great, white north.

All in all, both leagues are different codes of football, and both are fun to watch, so it's a push to me.

Yes, both have their individual moments. I know it's tough for Americans to look at the CFL and understand what it's really all about. I just hate it when it's given nicknames, like the no talent league or the crappy football league.

It's entertaining ball and guys just trying to earn some money for playing the game they love. Be it here or down south.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yes, both have their individual moments. I know it's tough for Americans to look at the CFL and understand what it's really all about. I just hate it when it's given nicknames, like the no talent league or the crappy football league.

It's entertaining ball and guys just trying to earn some money for playing the game they love. Be it here or down south.

Agreed. Although their codes of football vary, I view Canada like the United States is in hockey. Both countries can produce a lot of talented players, but like Canada is when it comes to hockey (I'm speaking of the highest level of it) the United States specializes in football, while Canada would be a respectable 2nd Place, just like the United States usually is in hockey. It doesn't mean the product is vastly inferior, just different. And it also doesn't mean a CFL team couldn't beat an NFL team, or CFL All-Stars vs. the NFL All-Stars, but they would definitely have a chance.

I find it amazing that people don't realize, that only 40 years ago, the CFL was considered a legitimate option alongside the NFL, and that the reason why the CFL lost some ground to the NFL has nothing to do with talent, but with the fact that after the Super Bowl, Monday Night Football, the lucrative television contracts is what set the NFL apart from the CFL, from a financial resources perspective.

Archived