BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

I've noticed that a lot of people have been biased towards the '50s or earlier while my roster is mainly out of the '90s. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally I think if you hit 500 home runs in the 30's and 40's like Mel Ott did, I value that more than someone who did it in the 90s and 2000+, like say Jim Thome

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that a lot of people have been biased towards the '50s or earlier while my roster is mainly out of the '90s. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Neither. It's just different. When you go back and look at stats, most players have 4-5 really good years and then about 10 solid years total. It's interesting that one player is favored over another and yet for example their stats are .265 to .267, 18 homers per season to 15 homers per season, 78 RBI per season to 82 RBI per season. And that's comparing modern players to older players.

Neither if you ask me. Like Dex said, I think you just have to value the 90's guys at a bit of a discount; in real life anyway. Here? They're all playing on the same page. I'm saving 90's guys for when i run out of players on my "GOAT" list. Well, you already saw that Alomar was my first choice at second.

BB52Big.jpg

See, I don't buy into the media's yearly circlejerk over THE GOOD OL' PURE YEARS OF BASEBALL, WHERE THEY PLAYED THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY*. The '50's, say, weren't any more "magical" than the '90s. Most of the love for "old-time baseball" is probably a backlash against the steroid era, but cheating has been a part of baseball forever. I dunno, it's just dumb.

*By the way, is there any dumber platitude in sportswriting than "playing the game the right way"? What, did the other teams try to dribble and shoot the baseball at home plate?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think I got EXCELLENT value with Jackson at this round.

Hell yes you did. I almost took him two rounds back; and I was surprised he was still there then. I just saw 3B as having less depth than OF so I rolled the dice and took Brooks Robinson. Jackson was on my radar again for my next pick but I couldn't pass up the guy who is arguably the best 2B ever. So I took Joe Morgan and held my breath again on Jackson.

Getting Jackson this late is one of the steals of the draft so far in my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

I have to say great pick with Jackson too. I was hoping he'd slip through the cracks until it got back to my pick because I really wanted him.

This round really took out a lot of good players. I have a line in all my positions where I think I need to get my starter at that position by and this round has that line quickly approaching at most spots.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

See, I don't buy into the media's yearly circlejerk over THE GOOD OL' PURE YEARS OF BASEBALL, WHERE THEY PLAYED THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY*. The '50's, say, weren't any more "magical" than the '90s. Most of the love for "old-time baseball" is probably a backlash against the steroid era, but cheating has been a part of baseball forever. I dunno, it's just dumb.

*By the way, is there any dumber platitude in sportswriting than "playing the game the right way"? What, did the other teams try to dribble and shoot the baseball at home plate?

I agree 100%. Every era had/has it's issues. I can't totally buy Babe Ruth et al were the "GOAT" because they played in a segregated league. Same deal with the 50's. The 50's weren't totally segregated but MLB was hardly color blind at that point either. And so on...(I already made this argument somewhere in another thread.) In my case, I'm going off a list of SABR's top players. If my guy isn't there then it's just gut instinct and who I like.

I will say this about the 90's. As someone who has been a baseball fan for a really long time, and someone who had a pretty good idea of what was going on, even as the 90's were happening, they felt cheap or whatever less than complimentary word you want to use to describe the era. I knew something wasn't right.

BB52Big.jpg

It could be depending on who and how you are picking.

My picks have been spread around pretty evenly I feel in terms of eras. I also feel alot of the reaches though are coming from modern era guys simply because they are the names people are familiar with. Not to say that everyone from the modern era sucks. Far from it. But your much better off using all the eras equally, which I've tried very hard to do.

Upcoming picks:

Pittsburgh Crawfords (infrared41)

Detroit Stars (YessSir32)

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (Lights Out)

New York Mets (NJTank)

Chicago Cubs (Billy B.)

Modesto Nuts (nash61)

Los Angeles Dodgers (knnhrvy16)

Los Angeles Dodgers (knnhrvy16)

Modesto Nuts (nash61)

Chicago Cubs (Billy B.)

New York Mets (NJTank)

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (Lights Out)

Detroit Stars (YessSir32)

Pittsburgh Crawfords (infrared41)

Newark Eagles (pmoehrin)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Entire list of players taken: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=81413&view=findpost&p=1588486

Round 6.

Don Sutton

Tony Gwynn

Ryne Sandberg

Lou Brock

Roberto Alomar

Wade Boggs

Joe Morgan

Robin Yount

Dennis Eckersely

Pedro Martinez

Paul Molitor