BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

you know how they say don't pick for need, pick the best available. can't really do that here, you have to pick for need, especially at this point. you got a roster to fill up.

I agree, to an extent. There are a few positions that I know I can wait on, because I don't see that much of a difference between what's available (say... #10 at the position) and would be at #15, because I don't think anybody will take any backups until they fill out the rest of their roster a little more, giving me some time before I have to allocate a pick to that position.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree. I'm not giving any secrets away, but you both are right. The first 2 rounds were easy, but with that I'm sure all of us were seeing our dream players quickly dropping off the boards. Since then it's been kind of a combo BA/need. Like Dexter said, need is probably a little bit of emphasis in these middle rounds. Boudreau wasn't on my early board. I had Yount, but then he got taken 3 picks before me. The good thing is that it made me think a little harder, and quite pleasantly a few very good players fell into my lap.

packchampionslfroh.png

Thanks for the good pick Dex. I'm sorry, but things weren't moving and I went out to dinner and when I was out I realized that I didn't check in but thought that even if someone selected at 5:30pm EST, I still had a chance to make a pick after I got back. Actually, I love the pick. Thanks again Dex, and I was fine with whomever you drafted for me because it was my responsibility to check in and get a list to someone, and I don't have a problem with you making the pick for me to speed up the draft today.

Since it went unnoticed the first time, I'll post it again.

The Modesto Nuts are for sale!

For-Sale-Sign.jpg

I'm going to be going to camp soon, and won't be able to run a team. Should I not find a buyer, I may fold and redisburse the players into the draft.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Anyone willing to make my picks as needed between 9am and 4pm tomorrow (er, today)?

I will if you would like me to, even though everybody else will go

What a retarded move scotty, he'll just pick some washed up player on the Mets

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Did pmoehrin send his picks to anyone? Did he say he was going to be away? He hasn't been online all day.

I'm going to be away today all day as well, although I did forward my picks to someone as I did yesterday.

Where I am has no AC and its just too hot to be sitting in front of a computer waiting to my a selection, and I don't have a smart phone.

I should be back full time Sunday at which point I will be accepting picks from people who want to forward them, but right now as you can probably tell I'm just not around that much, so don't send me anything.

Did pmoehrin send his picks to anyone? Did he say he was going to be away? He hasn't been online all day.

I'm going to be away today all day as well, although I did forward my picks to someone as I did yesterday.

Where I am has no AC and its just too hot to be sitting in front of a computer waiting to my a selection, and I don't have a smart phone.

I should be back full time Sunday at which point I will be accepting picks from people who want to forward them, but right now as you can probably tell I'm just not around that much, so don't send me anything.

I would do the same, this heat is unbearable.

Anyone willing to make my picks as needed between 9am and 4pm tomorrow (er, today)?

did Scotty send his picks to anyone? He's on the clock.

He sent them to me two days ago. I don't know if anyone got an updated list. If not, I could just give him one of the 5 players he sent me.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

did Scotty send his picks to anyone? He's on the clock.

He sent them to me two days ago. I don't know if anyone got an updated list. If not, I could just give him one of the 5 players he sent me.

Go for it.

I'm glad Robin Roberts fell to me - I'm really starting to get lucky as my targets are starting to fall in my lap. I know some people will scratch thier head at Roberts' W-L and strikeouts, but the fact of the matter is that 1) with the exception of the "Whiz Kids" of 1950, Roberts pitched for usually bad teams, and 2) Roberts wasn't a strikeout pitcher, anyways. He challenged the batters to put the ball in play. While strikeouts are obviously great, it's outs, in any way, shape, or form, that matter first and foremost. Also, as seen by my selection of Don Sutton earlier, I like the durable "workhorse" pitchers. Robin Roberts was the premier workhorse of his era. From 1950-1955, he posted the following: 138-78 W-L, 24 ShO, 161 Complete Games, 232 Games Started, 1,937 IP, 964 SO, and a 2.93 ERA. That's stepping up with effort, if you ask me. I'm treating this as a real team here - I want to draft pitchers that are going to give thier all on the mound.

And Cool Papa was another pick I was glad to obtain. A switch-hitting speed demon (believed to have been the fastest man in baseball at the time) centerfielder who was reported to have accumulated a .350 avg. over 25+ seasons - that's remarkable. He'll definetely bat leadoff for me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

This isn't going any faster today, hopefully it picks up later.

are you going to be able to select for scotty again? or are his picks all taken by now?

Unless Eddie Murray is still there. Is he? If not, his picks are gone.

I can't believe Dizzy Dean was available, he had the last 30 win season in the NL, and I wanted one player from the Roid Era on my roster, so I went with Palmeiro.

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I can't believe Dizzy Dean was available, he had the last 30 win season in the NL, and I wanted one player from the Roid Era on my roster, so I went with Palmeiro.

Dean was my next pick. It was a very good pick on your part.

Archived