Question about NFL rules regarding alternate unis

DuckFats

The NFL has some rules regarding the wearing of alternate (third) unis, mainly that they can only be worn for certain games. My question is whether this applies to jerseys or to pants as well. For instance, the Redskins have three different colored pants, white, burgandy and gold, with gold being the alt. Are they limited to wearing the gold pants x number of games or could they wear them all season, while still keeping them as their alt pants?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure of the answer to that one, but I think a better question would be to the Redskins themselves: Why are you wearing a pair of throwback pants and socks - with mismatching Burgundys - with current jerseys?

If they truly want Gold pants, it would make more sense to come up with a pair of Gold pants that actually work with the current uniform style.

it just applies to jerseys IIRC. Taking the Texans as another example, they can only wear the red jerseys x number of times, but if they wanted to wear the red pants for every game nothin's stoppin em from doing so.

The rule I wish the NFL would at least think about tweaking though, is the one stating alt jerseys have to be recolors of the home/away design or throwbacks (or at least bearing resemblance in the Cowboys' case). I aint against throwbacks, but I figure if there's a different design a team's considered but can't do without overhauling the home & away, that's what the third should be for.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Duckpants ... there are no restrictions on pants, only jerseys ... That's why you saw the Redskins mix it up last season with their gold pants and white ones both at home and on the road. I don't remember if they wore their mono look last season. The Rams mix it up alot too with their gold, white, and blue pants.

Right now each team can only wear their alt / throwback jersey twice in regular season, and once in preseason, although there was some talk about possibly restricting it to regular season only, before week 10, and only during Sunday day games .... which would be a really idiotic marketing move if they did so. I don't think anything became of that. This was mentioned on ESPN 'uniwatch' this past spring.

Discrimihater ... I don't agree with that one bit. That would have meant that Green Bay wouldn't have been able to have those navy throwbacks that they wore against SF last season. With a history like theirs, it's interesting to see what teams wore all those years ago.

Also, many had wondered what the Jets uniforms looked like when they were the Titans and playing at the Polo Grounds. They weren't the best, but they weren't the worst either. As ugly as Denver's home set was, it was still interesting to see both their home & away sets. 2009 was a fun year with AFL-50 IMO ... I so enjoyed that.

Other than Carolina who have many times worn their blue alternates on the road, and the Bills who wore their throwbacks at Tampa Bay in early 2005, throwbacks and alternates have generally only been worn by the home team .... (except for NFL-75 in 1994 and AFL-50 in 2009).

What I'd like to see, is If a team produces a throwback as a 3rd set rather than just an alternate, I'd like to see them allowed to produce both a home & away version and be able to wear each twice at home and twice on the road. Perfect example would be NO at ATL .... it would be cool to see the Falcons wearing their '66 throwbacks with the black jerseys while the Saints wore their away throwbacks with those white jerseys with the gold numbers in that other shade of gold they used to wear.

Duckpants ... there are no restrictions on pants, only jerseys ... That's why you saw the Redskins mix it up last season with their gold pants and white ones both at home and on the road. I don't remember if they wore their mono look last season. The Rams mix it up alot too with their gold, white, and blue pants.

Right now each team can only wear their alt / throwback jersey twice in regular season, and once in preseason, although there was some talk about possibly restricting it to regular season only, before week 10, and only during Sunday day games .... which would be a really idiotic marketing move if they did so. I don't think anything became of that. This was mentioned on ESPN 'uniwatch' this past spring.

I know we had an entire thread devoted to this earlier, but I believe it was pointed out from a strictly marketing standpoint its a great move. Watering down your visual brand is never a great marketing idea. Your hardcore fan will still see and buy the alts, the more casual fan never was gonna buy them, and its those fans who should be exposed to your "real" brand as much as possible.

Personally, I think there's a lot of stuff you might want to critisize the NFL over, but poor marketing sense? Nah.

I'm sure this idea was tabled by the NFL during the lockout, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't reappear. I'm hoping it does.

All these sports leagues came up with the alternate 3rd uni's for marketing, to sell more team apparel .... Soccer is the worst!!! Kits used to at least have a 2-year run, now every season for both home, clash, and many even have a 3rd kit or a special one for Champions League or Europa League play.

Soccer is the one sport where it gets very difficult for many to figure out who the away team is at 1st-glance .... I'm referring mostly to the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A. I don't follow MLS or all the others.

What I meant in my wording is that if the NFL were to limit throwbacks or alternates to strictly day-games during week 1-9, and teams were unable to wear their 3rd set during nationally televised games, it defeats the purpose marketing-wise. There's no way that won't have an impact on team apparel sales, and I really don't believe it 'waters-down' a teams identity.

In the last 5-6 years, teams who have worn throwbacks or alternates that made it difficult for the average NFL fan to figure out what team was playing (at 1st-glance) unless one knew ahead of time, like most people who post on this forum .... I can name four, which isn't many.

Broncos 1960 throwbacks .... Packers 1929 throwbacks last season .... Eagles 1933 throwbacks worn a few seasons ago ... Jets 1960 Titans-Polo Grounds throwbacks .... None of these to be worn in 2011

We all knew that was Philly playing in those Kelly greens last season against the Packers ... if one didn't know that was their color back in the day, the helmet totally gave it away ... same thing with da Bears throwbacks with the orange stripes and numbers ....

My point was, that restricting clubs from wearing throwbacks or alternates during nationally televised games makes no sense marketing-wise .... not to mention if it comes to pass a team can only wear them during weeks 1-9 ........they're trying to sell as much team apparel as possible, so these proposed restrictions are not a smart marketing move ...

Again ... I really don't see it as watering down a teams identity ... not in the NFL

I never said throwbacks shouldn't be worn, I'm saying there should be a third option. Right now there are basically two types of thirds:

1) Recolors of the home/away design (Panthers, Broncos, Chargers, Titans, Texans, Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals, Seahawks)

2) Throwbacks (Cowboys, Packers, Bears, Lions, Eagles, Bucs, Falcons, Browns(?), Steelers, Patriots, Rams)

Some teams wanted a third color option, they have it. Some wanted a nod to their histories, they got that. But what if, say, the Chiefs were considering a third jersey that was still red, but had gold numbers and shoulder stripes that incorporated the arrowhead, eh? If they were in the NHL, they could do so. If they were a college team, they could do this. However, since it's not a recolor of their home/away jersey or a throwback, they couldn't. Granted, I'm not sure how many people would want to see such a jersey, just that I'm one such person and I needed an example to get my point across.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Roger that ....

I know what you are referring to ... I've seen a few concepts on various websites for some different NFL teams that peeps have concocted.

Don't think it'll happen tho' .... given their supposed concern about alts & throwbacks watering down a teams identity which i totally do NOT agree with. They're so strict as-is with their uniform rules & regulations, even how they remain in effect off the field after the game ends.

Mine was more of a rant, not just about the NFL talking about restricting the alts & throwbacks, but overseas footy too ....

I'm a Leeds United supporter and every year the kits become outdated, whether it's the home, clash, or 3rd kit. That's one thing I gotta give respect to the NFL for. It wasn't always like that in Soccer, they used to have at least a 2-year run. Also Leeds had been one of the few clubs to stick with their team colors as primary on their clash and 3rd kits, and now the clash kit for '11-'12 is going to be black with fluorescent yellow trim. It also appears Macron has messed with the Grange Hill badge similar to what Addidas did to the US flag on LA Galaxy new 3rd kit. .... Don't like it all ....

BTW, If anyone could use a 3rd look, KC is definitely is at the top of the list. Chiefs have had alternate jerseys in their set from what I know , they've just never worn them . They have a black one that's part of their current set, and years ago I think they also had a yellow one with red stripes and numbers in their set ...

It'd be interesting to see a team like KC or others come up with something like you spoke of .....

.............................. Current KC Chiefs alternate jersey ??? â–¼ â–¼ â–¼........................................................ Leeds United away kit '11-12 â–¼ â–¼ â–¼

NFL%20Kansas%20City%20Chiefs%2016.jpg0,,10273%7E9816730,00.jpg

Yeap .... that's why I put the question marks there CWx.

When I had seen it advertised, it wasn't from one of the NFL.com shops ... was referred to as KC Chiefs 'alternate' jersey.

Probably one of those lovely China jersey outlet stores ! chuckle.gif

I never said throwbacks shouldn't be worn, I'm saying there should be a third option. Right now there are basically two types of thirds:

1) Recolors of the home/away design (Panthers, Broncos, Chargers, Titans, Texans, Ravens, Bengals, Cardinals, Seahawks)

2) Throwbacks (Cowboys, Packers, Bears, Lions, Eagles, Bucs, Falcons, Browns(?), Steelers, Patriots, Rams)

A few corrections...

For the 2011 season, it is the following concerning 3rd uniforms:

RECOLORS

Panthers

Broncos

Chargers

Titans

Texans

Ravens

Bengals

Cardinals

Seahawks

Eagles

Bears

Dolphins

THROWBACKS

Cowboys

Lions

Bucs

Falcons

Browns

Steelers

Patriots

Rams

Jets

Giants

Vikings

The Eagles and Bears wore throwbacks in 2010 for anniversary purposes.

The Packers wore their throwback to pay tribute to their "blue" era during the 1929-ish time frame. From what I've heard, they will not return this season. Gotta wait and see with this one.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Which throwbacks for the NY teams Johnny?

NYG .... the GIANTS one ... the upper case NY from '75, or something even older than that from the mid-20s upward ??

NYJ .... Titans-Polo Ground uni's .... 80s .... or 90s with the black trim?? Wouldn't mind seeing 'em in the 63's with the Jet on it

Which throwbacks for the NY teams Johnny?

NYG .... the GIANTS one ... the upper case NY from '75, or something even older than that from the mid-20s upward ??

NYJ .... Titans-Polo Ground uni's .... 80s .... or 90s with the black trim?? Wouldn't mind seeing 'em in the 63's with the Jet on it

The Jets still have their throwback home Titans jersey as part of their 2011 uniform set. If they decide to wear them is another question.

As for the Giants, their anniversary patch pretty much sums up their plans. B)

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

The ... Packers wore throwbacks in 2010 for anniversary purposes.

Not quite - the Packers' navy throwbacks were created to celebrate the franchise's history in general, not for any particular anniversary.

Yea, my bad. I was typing that one too quick...had sirloins on the grill. God bless the edit function. ^_^

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

An anniversary patch makes it a throwback jersey ... Good one lol2.gif

So this means the Bills will be considered in throwbacks against the Redskins when the Maple Leaf patch is sewn on the jersey for the Toronto game ...

I'm sure I had read somewhere that the J-E-T-S have permanently grounded the Titans uniforms after the AFL-50 season in 2009. Too bad too, they established more memories bringing them back than the entire time when they were the Titans. I'll forever remember Mark Sanchez eating a hot dog at Oakland in the away throwback version .... that was classic.

mark-sanchez-eating-hot-dog.jpgmarksanchezhotdog.jpg

Other than Carolina who have many times worn their blue alternates on the road, and the Bills who wore their throwbacks at Tampa Bay in early 2005, throwbacks and alternates have generally only been worn by the home team .... (except for NFL-75 in 1994 and AFL-50 in 2009).

The Jets wore their Titans throwback in 2007 at Miami.

If preseason games count, the Panthers and Bills have also worn them on the road during that period. Another time Buffalo wore their throwbacks on the road was at the nations capital in Washington. The Panthers have also worn them at Washington, along with games at Cleveland and back to back years at Philadelphia.

The Jets wore their Titans throwback in 2007 at Miami.

If preseason games count, the Panthers and Bills have also worn them on the road during that period. Another time Buffalo wore their throwbacks on the road was at the nations capital in Washington. The Panthers have also worn them at Washington, along with games at Cleveland and back to back years at Philadelphia.

I figured I may have left 1 or 2 off, which is why I wrote 'generally'.

But yes you're right, the Jets did wear their Titans t-bax at Miami in '07 ... I missed that one, so good on you, but my point was it would be cool if teams with t-bax were also allowed to make an away version of them, like for AFL-50 in 2009.

In '07when the J-E-T-S wore their t-bax in Miami it was their Polo Grounds version in blue, while Miami wore their white on white at home. The J-E-T-S wore their white away Titans uni's at Oakland in 2009, just as all 8 original AFL teams had sets of both home & away throwback uniforms. I thought it was great ... seeing the old Oilers away uni's, Bills all-white w/ grazing Buffalo, KC in their white Texans look, Oakland with '63 logo and white w/ silver numbers, SD in all white w/ powder blue & yellow trim, etc etc ..

Preseason I never include .....

Archived