Question about NFL rules regarding alternate unis

DuckFats

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The browns have throwbacks???? Funny, they don't even wear them and won't wear them as they aren't wearing brown at home this year.

Uh...they retired their orange alternate and replaced it with a 1960 throwback with their official uniform change back in 2006. They've worn the 60's throwback at least once every season except 2010. Regardless if they wear them in 2011, it IS still their official current 3rd uniform. The Dolphins orange alternate also went dormant for a few years before it came back too.

This is their current uniform set:

800px-AFCN-Uniform-CLE.PNG

PoolCle.jpg

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I don't like numbers on the Browns' helmets. If you're going to commit to no logo, then go all the way. The numbers seem like a half hearted attempt to please everyone.

I'm the opposite. I love numbers on the sides of helmets versus shoulder/sleeve numbers and I wish more teams (NCAAF, NFL, CFL, UFL, and etc) did it.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

but my point was it would be cool if teams with t-bax were also allowed to make an away version of them, like for AFL-50 in 2009.

The Colts have a white throwback.

Nevertheless, I know where you're getting at. I remember the Jets vs Raiders legacy game in 2009. I watched that game. You could barely tell the difference between the Raiders AFL throwbacks and their current uniform.

About what you wish they do. That is one reason why I am for an NFL 18 regular season. But you see, there is a problem I find in having double alternates with a 16 game season. Some teams will probably have too many uniform combinations, and that will make things a bit too much. For instance, in 2009 the Chargers didn't appear in their navy jerseys until their 5th home game against the Eagles.

They've worn the 60's throwback at least once every season except 2010. Regardless if they wear them in 2011, it IS still their official current 3rd uniform. The Dolphins orange alternate also went dormant for a few years before it came back too.

The Browns didn't wear them in 2009 either. They haven't worn them under Eric Mangini.

The Browns didn't wear them in 2009 either. They haven't worn them under Eric Mangini.

The team as a whole, you are correct. But I do believe Derek Anderson accidentally wore the alternate/throwback jersey for the entire 1st half of a home game and then corrected the issue at halftime in 2009. B)

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Nevertheless, I know where you're getting at. I remember the Jets vs Raiders legacy game in 2009. I watched that game. You could barely tell the difference between the Raiders AFL throwbacks and their current uniform.

About what you wish they do. That is one reason why I am for an NFL 18 regular season. But you see, there is a problem I find in having double alternates with a 16 game season. Some teams will probably have too many uniform combinations, and that will make things a bit too much. For instance, in 2009 the Chargers didn't appear in their navy jerseys until their 5th home game against the Eagles.

Although that's true, the Chargers being one of the many NFL teams who don't like to wear their home jerseys during September home games due to the heat, that was their choice. They were home in weeks 2 and 3 and elected to wear their white away uni's ... with the dk blue pants ... against the Ravens and the Fish Flipper's. So although they didn't wear navy at home 'til week 5, it was due to their own choosing. Also it was the NFL who setup the Legacy games so they'd be finished by the 1st weekend in December.

As far as the Raiders, you don't think that Al Davis would ever let his team be seen in the old black & gold from '60-'62 do ya, ha .... The '63 was the only year they had that other Raider logo that's more silver and the white away jerseys had the silver numbers. I knew ahead of team that was gonna be a given.

What surprised me was Denver, I never thought they'd use the brown & mustard from their inception with the bowling sox when I first heard about AFL Legacy, I was expecting the '66 set with the bucking bronco and star-eye like they wore in 1994 for NFL-75. :grin:

I'm totally with you about the 18-game season .... the Soccer Leagues play a minimum of 38 games from Aug - May with a mini off-season yet the NFL players are playing the injury-card as reasons to fight against it. The top Soccer teams play even more than 38 games, they also play on Tue-Wed-Thu if in Euro competitions, plus all the League and FA Cup games during the week.

I'm totally with you about the 18-game season .... the Soccer Leagues play a minimum of 38 games from Aug - May with a mini off-season yet the NFL players are playing the injury-card as reasons to fight against it. The top Soccer teams play even more than 38 games, they also play on Tue-Wed-Thu if in Euro competitions, plus all the League and FA Cup games during the week.

Well, while soccer is a very physical sport, and arguably more demanding than gridiron football, it's hard to compare the two.

So long as football players wear body armor that allows them to push the consequences of hits a few years down the road, it will remain the more dangerous game to play.

Well, while soccer is a very physical sport, and arguably more demanding than gridiron football, it's hard to compare the two.

So long as football players wear body armor that allows them to push the consequences of hits a few years down the road, it will remain the more dangerous game to play.

You're right ... it is hard to compare the 2 ........... but ............. bottom line is soccer players play 9 month season ... they only get 2 mos off before training camp

NFL players if not in playoffs are off for 7 mos for offseason ............

NFL players are not on the gridiron for 30 + 30 straight mins ..... Soccer players are running on that pitch for 45 + 45 minutes with no clock stoppage .... that takes a toll on ones body too, especially when playing continually for 9 straight months, with additional games in mid-week.

Bottom line, it's only 2 more games ....the injury-card just don't cut it for me, IMHO.

You're right ... it is hard to compare the 2 ........... but ............. bottom line is soccer players play 9 month season ... they only get 2 mos off before training camp

NFL players if not in playoffs are off for 7 mos for offseason ............

NFL players are not on the gridiron for 30 + 30 straight mins ..... Soccer players are running on that pitch for 45 + 45 minutes with no clock stoppage .... that takes a toll on ones body too, especially when playing continually for 9 straight months, with additional games in mid-week.

Bottom line, it's only 2 more games ....the injury-card just don't cut it for me, IMHO.

Well, it's two more weeks. Two more weeks of practice, to more weeks of holding your starters together until the playoffs. It's rare for a quarterback to make it through the season now. And unlike soccer, when an NFL player is carted off on a stretcher, they aren't coming back anytime soon.

When an NFL team undergoes a uniform change, like the Bills in 2011 & 2002 .. (Throwbacks in 2005), Browns in 2006, Lions in 2009, and SD 2007 .......how many seasons before an NFL team is able to change them again if they so choose .... what are the NFL rules pertaining to this, does anyone know ??

Also ... is there a separate policy for throwbacks / alternates only?

When an NFL team undergoes a uniform change, like the Bills in 2011 & 2002 .. (Throwbacks in 2005), Browns in 2006, Lions in 2009, and SD 2007 .......how many seasons before an NFL team is able to change them again if they so choose .... what are the NFL rules pertaining to this, does anyone know ??

Unless it has changed recently without my knowledge, there is a 5 year minimum in the NFL for uniform changes and they can wear a 3rd jersey (throwbacks or alternate colors) for two games a year. The league allows exceptions for anniversary years. They limit uniform changes for marketing purposes.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I don't like numbers on the Browns' helmets. If you're going to commit to no logo, then go all the way. The numbers seem like a half hearted attempt to please everyone.

I agree with you, but they really do look good there. Again, the Browns seem to be the exception to all of my "rules", just because I like orange, gray, and brown.

Thought - with TV numbers on the helmets, could they take their sleeve stripe, turn it vertical, and run it up to the neckline? There's no need for numbers on the sleeve, and there's no room for a horizontal stripe, so how about it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Unless it has changed recently without my knowledge, there is a 5 year minimum in the NFL for uniform changes and they can wear a 3rd jersey (throwbacks or alternate colors) for two games a year. The league allows exceptions for anniversary years. They limit uniform changes for marketing purposes.

Okay, but 3 seasons after the Donahoe-Bledsoe uniforms came out in 2002, the Bills unveiled a throwback uniform in 2005 .... t'was based on the uniform for the 40 year anniversary of the 1965 (back-to-back) AFL Championship ...

The Bills have been wearing them ever since .... that's why I also asked if there's a different policy for throwbacks. Those throwbacks were not included in the 2002 set and put on hold for 3 years.

The Eagles looked so damn cool with their '60 throwbacks last year, way better than the blacks alts IMO .... yet word has it that was only a 1-season thing, for the 50 year anniversary of their '60 NFL Championship tea, ... So it makes me wonder if they could have kept them this year if they wanted to ....

Thanks to all for helping to answer my initial query and for turning the thread into an interesting discussion. I have a couple more questions, some team specific, but the first one isn't, to wit;

Why isn't the NFL as stringent regarding teams wearing alt/3rd pants as they are with jerseys? Being as the league is beyond anal about uni violations, this doesn't make very much sense to me, as it could possibly lead to say the Cowboys pairing their throwback pants with their current dark jerseys. You know the NFL would jump all over that in a second.

Speaking of the Cowboys, disregarding the throwback unis that they currently have which they also wore from 1960-64 are there any teams that have never played Dallas when they, the Cowboys wore their dark jerseys?

Finally, regarding the alt/3rd orange jersey of the Browns, has that ever actually been worn in a regular season game? I've only ever seen it worn by the qb's in practice?

Finally, regarding the alt/3rd orange jersey of the Browns, has that ever actually been worn in a regular season game? I've only ever seen it worn by the qb's in practice?

The QB practice jersey for the Browns is different than the alternate orange jereey they wore from 2002-2005.

colt-mccoy-sm1.jpg

51773125_display_image.jpg?1287247470

51898551_display_image.jpg?1296189463

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Why isn't the NFL as stringent regarding teams wearing alt/3rd pants as they are with jerseys?

An excellent question.

I wish the NFL was.

because fans don't buy the pants of their favorite player and when the league wrote the rule there weren't many teams with 3 pant options and they were only concerned about jersey sales

The QB practice jersey for the Browns is different than the alternate orange jereey they wore from 2002-2005.

colt-mccoy-sm1.jpg

51773125_display_image.jpg?1287247470

51898551_display_image.jpg?1296189463

Thanks for the pics. Were those regular season games? Who did the Browns play when they wore the orange jerseys?

Archived