Worst College Logo and Uniforms

JamesCraven

Allrighty, since there's been a lot of talk about Syracuse's new insignia and the talk of the worst pro logos and unis, I'd extend this into the college world as well.

We'll start with the worst logo, and it's Eastern Michigan's Eagles. The 1960's cartoon eagle leaning against an "E" is crying out "HEY! I SUCK, BITE AND BLOW ALL AT THE SAME TIME!" I think they should have stayed with their old name, the Hurons, not as an Indian thing, but for the area they represent.

As for uniforms, how about Marquette's 1977 disaster they wore to the NCAA Basketball Championship in Atlanta. I thought it looked like a dress women would wear today, because we never saw the shorts.

That's my $.02, what's yours?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Another bad college logo and uniform set.

Logo - Bowling Green State University. It looks like someone was drinking India Ink while making this 1970's relic. Don't get me wrong, I like the Cleveland Browns inspired brown and orange combo, it's just the logo needs to be upgraded.

Uniforms - Remember Apex? They made some of the worst uniforms to come on the scene before they went belly-up. They made uniforms for Big Ten foorball rivals Iowa and Minnesota that were so bad, even Chris Fowler of ESPN quoted Susan Powter (remember her?) by claiming to "Stop the insanity" with those Iowa uniforms.

I'm gonna have to agree with those Marquette unis being the worst. They might not look so bad with the longer shorts they wear today, but back then... nah.

For football, Cal has the worst unis. I know they were probably trying to distinguish themselves from Michigan, but dammit... either go completely modern or keep it the way it was.

Pitt has the next worst... that's right, I'm not buying the whole "We wanna be Notre Dame and you WILL call us Pittsburgh," farce they got going on. Seriously... their game against the Irish last year looked like an intrasquad scrimmage. And what the hell is up with that font? It looks like something a 4 year old drew in magic marker.

To think this is what they gave up some of the best unis in college football history for them. In fact, I'm basing my IFL unis on the old mustard & blue.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

worst logo= michigan wolverines as they have none but could make an awesome one

worst uniforms= tennessee lady vols bball

Are you insane? That yellow block M on a blue background is classic. Just because they choose to emphasize "Michigan" over "Wolverines", doesn't make it a bad logo. That "M" is way more effective than any cartoonish, snarling Wolverine would be.

I'm with pflav on this issue. You don't need to show off an animal that a Wolverine is (ask Hugh Jackman about it) to have a classic logo.

worst logo= michigan wolverines as they have none but could make an awesome one

worst uniforms= tennessee lady vols bball

I love the Lady Vols--Orange and light blue. It's unique and I think it works.

Anyway--I hate when schools update logos and colors too much. Western Michigan, for example. I also agree with the Pittsburgh criticism.

Worst Football Helmet: Michigan--the rest of their stuff is fine, but I hate that stupid helmet. Also bad are Oregon State and Northern Illinois.

Best football helmet: Wisconsin. I actually believe that, so I had to bring it up.

Worst Football Jerseys: Oregon. It's an easy pick, but c'mon. They are rediculous.

Worst Basketball jerseys: Valpo--I don't think cutting your school name short is the way to go in college.

Worst Basketball Logo: I don't know if they ever use this anymore, but does anyone remember when Iowa had a basketball specific logo with all of their letters (IOWA) sort of piled up along with an exclamation point? The "O" in Iowa was a b-ball. It was pretty lame.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

"Worst Football Helmet: Michigan--the rest of their stuff is fine, but I hate that stupid helmet. Also bad are Oregon State and Northern Illinois."

Whoa, you're messin' with tradition! Sure, the thing may be outdated, but Delaware wears that same helmet which was adapted from Fritz Crysler's original design...at Princeton! They brought it back a few years ago. * points to the Helmets, Helmets, Helmets web page for picture. *

"Worst Football Helmet:  Michigan--the rest of their stuff is fine, but I hate that stupid helmet.  Also bad are Oregon State and Northern Illinois."

Whoa, you're messin' with tradition! Sure, the thing may be outdated, but Delaware wears that same helmet which was adapted from Fritz Crysler's original design...at Princeton! They brought it back a few years ago. * points to the Helmets, Helmets, Helmets web page for picture. *

Yeah, I actually read that history on the Helmets x3 page. I don't necessarilly think they should change it, but I still think it is pretty ugly.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Uniforms - Remember Apex?  They made some of the worst uniforms to come on the scene before they went belly-up.  They made uniforms for Big Ten foorball rivals Iown and Minnesota that were so bad, even Chris Fowler of ESPN quoted Susan Powter (remember her?) by claiming to "Stop the insanity" with those Iowa uniforms.

Those nasty yellow wings! Those giant Ms on the shoulders! Oh sweet Jim Caviezel... I've been trying to block those horrible images from my mind for nigh on a decade now... Hey Discrim, did you used to work at Apex? They looked like some of your work. :P

You can kinda see some of the Golden Gopher look from this shot:

Prepare to be dazzled!

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

I must agree on the whole Pitt deal... The logo is crappy, the numbers are crappy, the colors are definitely a wannabe-ND idea... They wanted to be more respectable in appearance and failed miserably.

AND they tore down Pitt Stadium. Hmph.

They should go retro... Remind everyone of the halcyon days of Dorsett and Marino. It'll help people forget that the Big East is essentially a mid-major football conference now...

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

"Worst Football Helmet: Michigan--the rest of their stuff is fine, but I hate that stupid helmet. Also bad are Oregon State and Northern Illinois."

Yeah, I actually read that history on the Helmets x3 page. I don't necessarilly think they should change it, but I still think it is pretty ugly.

Dude, you're insane. That is the most original helmet there is. Right up there with the Rams. The block M is a classic. How Michigan even came into this conversation is beyond me. They have one of the best brands in college sports.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

I don't understand the Michigan bashing. The winged helmet (reminescent of the stripes on a wolverine) and the block "M" are classics and are instantly recognized in college sports.

Worst logo, uniforms, etc.?

I'd have to say this distinction belongs to the Oregon Ducks football team. The highlight marker yellow one or the all green monstrosity, take your pick, they both are terrible. I cringe whenever I see them.

there is one thing you'll only hear once, and never again...that was a Gerbils uniform i actually liked. i didn't work for apex, but i think i should have :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

As a Pitt alumnus, I have to disagree with the comments about Pitt. I like their new concept. I will agree about the colors, though. I liked the old mustard and blue, but I think the logo is much better than just "Pitt" written in cursive.

As for Pitt stadium being torn down... admit it, the place was a plophole. I'm glad it's gone, and the Petersen Events Center (built in its place) is one of the finest college basketball arenas in the country.

Plenty of bad logos to go around: Ball St. cardinal head, West Virginia WV, Temple's T, the Southern Ill dog head, but my winner is Univ. Alaska Anchorage, the Seawolves have a ridiculous look.

Unis: hands down, U of Miami's baseball greenish grey abortions from last year (not sure if they are wearing them again this year)

About Pitt's "mustard & blue" uniforms:

As a former resident of Pittsburgh (not an alumnus so I might not indeed know the whole story), as I recall Pitt had the bright yellow and blue uniforms, then switched back to the "mustard" color because Johnny Majors, the coach who they won so many games under, came back to coach them. They bolstered it up like it was a "return to tradition" and they ended up tanking that season...and the next....etc.

I'm glad Pitt Stadium is gone, that place was right smack in the middle of the Projects, I feared for my life when I went to see the Panthers play.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I'm glad Pitt Stadium is gone, that place was right smack in the middle of the Projects, I feared for my life when I went to see the Panthers play.

Well, when I went there, Pitt Stadium was right smack in the middle of dorms. They must've cleaned up the area between when you lived there and I did. Or my definition of projects is much different than yours. ^_^

Wow, I guess im too much of a traditionalist. I see nothing wrong with the Eastern Michigan logo. Better than having some stupid monster Eagle or something. It doesnt stand out to me as good or bad.

Best: I like the old "UF" florida logo with the gator over the state outline. I also like the K-State logo.

Worst: New Troy State logo or any logo featuring an animal that has nothing to do with the mascot of the school.

Best uniform: Syracuse football (we'll see what the new changes bring) and Duke basketball.

Worst Uniform: BYU two-tone football and K-State two tone basketball.

Archived