Detroit Lions Refresh

drdougfresh

In celebration of another season of self pity and depression (totally kidding), I did a one-off of a rebrand I did of the Lions last season. It seemed to ruffle the feathers of the Lions faithful, mostly because I kept black in the color scheme. Look, I understand tradition and wanting to stick to those roots, but when those roots include (coming up on) a 54 year championship drought? It's time to get rid of the losing 'stink' that the Honolulu Blue and silver seem to give off. And I'm not just adding black because it's already there, I'm adding it because it makes the blue stick out a bit more, and it makes for a bolder look.

This Lions team is probably going to be one of the best we've seen in our lifetimes (God & Stafford's shoulder willing), and I think this look fits the youthfulness and spunk that this team has. For the loyalists, I've also included a second alt for Thanksgiving and other fun occasions-- I like that jersey too, just not as a primary.

REMOVED. Click here for the updates.

Thoughts? Also, don't bother insulting the team, I've heard it all before. C&C on the jerseys, por favor.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good, but the NFL only allows one helmet, so this concept can't be seen on the field, but it is still good.

I would make the following changes

Make the helmet, sleeve and sock stripes the same

Remove the logo on the Thanksgiving Alt.

Add a pants stripe that is the same as either the helmet or pants or socks stripe

And make the cleats either black or white

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I don't know about that much black on the Lions. The white away looks really good and I think you should just go with the white helmet all around besides the throwback. Personally, I'm not a fan of silver/gray when there is white.

It's good, but the NFL only allows one helmet, so this concept can't be seen on the field, but it is still good.

Add a pants stripe that is the same as either the helmet or pants or socks stripe

The ironic thing is that almost every team has more than one helmet, so unless you can prove that, I'm calling BS. The Lions have 2 helmets right now, anyway.

The ironic thing is that almost every team has more than one helmet, so unless you can prove that, I'm calling BS. The Lions have 2 helmets right now, anyway.

He's right. A team can only have one helmet, unless they wear a throwback set. Then they can have a different helmet. I don't have proof, but I know I'm right happy.gif

The second helmets are ONLY allowed as part of a throwback package. You'll notice that every single second helmet you're talking about is a throwback helmet only worn with a throwback set.

When I saw a Detroit Lions concept, I instantly knew it was a good one once I saw your name up there drdoughfresh. A fellow Lions fan, I knew would get it right and it is perfect. It's a shame there don't utilize the black. In my opinion, it makes the team very edgy and slick which they need right now as they have finally found an identity. The all-black alt would look very cool on the field. Also, don't worry about the helmets it's a concept. The throwback is exactly what I've been wanting them to do. Very nice work and Restore the Roar.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

The helmet thing is true but it is a concept.

If he wants two helmets he can have them. As for the uniforms, they are nice but I think you should add matching stripes to the pants.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

The white set looks excellent. I'd like to see it with blue pants as opposed to monochrome. I like the idea of the Lions in a white helmet.

The blue/black sets remind me too much of the Carolina Panthers. I just can't get past that.

And for the record, I think the NFL "rule" about having only one helmet is stupid. It would be awesome to see some teams with two or even 3 different helmets. Like baseball caps. It would lead to a bunch of interesting design ideas.

It's very Carolina Panthers in that it's dark at home and all white on the road. I kind of dig that look in general, but I think it's a bit too close to what the Panthers have now. (Granted, you may have red and green Carolina Panthers in your concept world, so it may be just fine :) )

I don't care for the black pants regardless, especially without a stripe.

As for the throwback, what you did with the helmet is excellent. In reality, the silver and honolulu blue throwback (without the white) is nice in its simplicity, but the helmet is lacking. Your helmet keeps with the no-white look, but it adds enough to make that throwback truly appealing.

Pant stripes I will definitely add. It will take some experimenting to get them just right.

And as for the helmet debate, screw the NFL regulations (I've decided). Nike may just be able to change that, anyway. And I sincerely hope they do.

The Panthers thing keeps coming up, and I'm kind of confused as to why. They have silver helmets, silver pants. Their home uni is black, and their alternate is some tealish-blue color. Honolulu Blue is a bit darker, but to most it looks fairly similar. I get that the black and blue is close to the Panthers' colors, but I just don't see it. Uni design and all, it's fairly different. But I do agree with Ted said, the away is fairly similar. I'll look at that.

Thanks for all the C&C so far, guys!

Pant stripes I will definitely add. It will take some experimenting to get them just right.

And as for the helmet debate, screw the NFL regulations (I've decided). Nike may just be able to change that, anyway. And I sincerely hope they do.

The Panthers thing keeps coming up, and I'm kind of confused as to why. They have silver helmets, silver pants. Their home uni is black, and their alternate is some tealish-blue color. Honolulu Blue is a bit darker, but to most it looks fairly similar. I get that the black and blue is close to the Panthers' colors, but I just don't see it. Uni design and all, it's fairly different. But I do agree with Ted said, the away is fairly similar. I'll look at that.

Thanks for all the C&C so far, guys!

All I'm saying is that it's non-white over non-white at home and white over white away. With that and the emphasis on black and honolulu blue as opposed to silver and blue, it takes on a fairly Carolina feel.

Ok so I almost like this haha... I have a couple of things that I personaly would like to see.

To help get away from that "Carolina" feel that some say it has I would remove ALL silver (except on the throwback) . So the colors are just black, blue, and white.

On the home set I think it would look kinda cool if you had black helmet, black jersey, and blue or white pants. While I am a total sucker for a white-out away set I think you should have the black helmet on that set. Then have the black-out and white-out as alts.

As many have already said, uniform stipes including the addition of pant stripes and remove the logo on the throwback helmet.

This is almost an upgrade, with a little more work it could be, cant wait to see an update.

Stay strong fellow lions fan. Next year is our year :P

When I saw a Detroit Lions concept, I instantly knew it was a good one once I saw your name up there drdoughfresh. A fellow Lions fan, I knew would get it right and it is perfect. It's a shame there don't utilize the black. In my opinion, it makes the team very edgy and slick which they need right now as they have finally found an identity. The all-black alt would look very cool on the field. Also, don't worry about the helmets it's a concept. The throwback is exactly what I've been wanting them to do. Very nice work and Restore the Roar.

Lies.

A team with 75+ years of history (granted, most of that recent history has been associated with failure) doesn't need to be "edgy", "slick", and "cool". While the current set is far from the wild, modern uniforms of today, it is a fine modernization of a classic look.

Archived