2011 MLB Road to the Postseason

KDubK414

Wild Card is making the AL East race boring.

Not true. It is so hard to go to the world series behind the wild card, or win a postseason series at all for that matter. I can guarantee whether it be the Sox or the Yankees, whoever wins the AL wild card will not get past the ALCS. if you want to go far, the division is a must

This couldn't be further from the truth. In a lot of cases the Wild Card team is better than the Division winner they are playing in the first round. There is no real reward for winning the division like there is in other sports. Several Wild Card teams have made it to the World Series and several have won.

Yeah, the Tigers were the Wild Card in 2006 and look what they did. If I remember right, the Cardinals were the NL Wild Card that year too.

Nope, they won a weak NL Central.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

Not true. It is so hard to go to the world series behind the wild card, or win a postseason series at all for that matter. I can guarantee whether it be the Sox or the Yankees, whoever wins the AL wild card will not get past the ALCS. if you want to go far, the division is a must

This couldn't be further from the truth. In a lot of cases the Wild Card team is better than the Division winner they are playing in the first round. There is no real reward for winning the division like there is in other sports. Several Wild Card teams have made it to the World Series and several have won.

Yeah, the Tigers were the Wild Card in 2006 and look what they did. If I remember right, the Cardinals were the NL Wild Card that year too.

Yes, there are examples, but in this instance the wild card team, have it be the red sox or the yankees would have to play all 3 series on the road. Honestly, I don't think either team would win an ALDS match up against texas with the Rangers holding home field advantage. All I'm saying is the way that I look at it, the only way the Red Sox have a legitimate shot of winning the world series would be if they first win the division.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

2002 World Series was between two Wild Cards, Angels and Giants.

4 Wild Cards have won the World Series (97/03 Marlins, 02 Angels, 04 Red Sox). 5 other teams have been to the World Series as Wild Cards (00 Mets, 02 Giants, 05 Astros, 06 Tigers, 07 Rockies).

So in the 17 seasons we've had the Wild Card, we've had 8 World Series with a Wild Card participant. A little under half.

But in most of those instances, it's not like this season with the Yanks/Sox in the AL or the Braves in the NL. Most of those Wild Card World Series teams were hot or fighting all the way to the end of the season just to get that Wild Card and they take that momentum into the playoffs. It's not like this season where we practically know who's going to the playoffs with the WC.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm sorry come Playoff time all bets are off. I don't care if your the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, whatever. Anything can happen, not just what ESPN and FOX think, or want to happen.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm sorry come Playoff time all bets are off. I don't care if your the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, whatever. Anything can happen, not just what ESPN and FOX think, or want to happen.

Exactly, I agree 100%. Baseball is a crazy sport. Any correct predictions in the postseason are 80% luck and 20% knowledge, if that. With so few games to play in the postseason, one unsuspected hot/cold streak could make or ruin a postseason for a team.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

And that is the great thing about having playoffs. If you get the best few teams from the league like the NFL and MLB. Once the postseason starts, all bets are off, unless there's that one or two holy crap unbelievable teams that are going to dominate at will no matter what. This year is going to be one of those all bets are off kind of years. It looks like all the teams in the postseason are going to have decent to good winning percentages. What it's going to come down to is home field, pitching, and timely hitting IMO. And that's why I think they will start Sept. 1. The teams that are in are going to be jockeying for better position, more home games, and figuring out how to get rest for some of their starters when the call ups happen.

packchampionslfroh.png

Yes, there are examples, but in this instance the wild card team, have it be the red sox or the yankees would have to play all 3 series on the road. Honestly, I don't think either team would win an ALDS match up against texas with the Rangers holding home field advantage. All I'm saying is the way that I look at it, the only way the Red Sox have a legitimate shot of winning the world series would be if they first win the division.

Red Sox: 2-10 at Texas last three seasons. C.J. Wilson: 3-0 1.35 ERA against Red Sox in his career. I'd be very scared to settle for the Wild Card if I was a Red Sox fan.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

2002 World Series was between two Wild Cards, Angels and Giants.

4 Wild Cards have won the World Series (97/03 Marlins, 02 Angels, 04 Red Sox). 5 other teams have been to the World Series as Wild Cards (00 Mets, 02 Giants, 05 Astros, 06 Tigers, 07 Rockies).

So in the 17 seasons we've had the Wild Card, we've had 8 World Series with a Wild Card participant. A little under half.

But in most of those instances, it's not like this season with the Yanks/Sox in the AL or the Braves in the NL. Most of those Wild Card World Series teams were hot or fighting all the way to the end of the season just to get that Wild Card and they take that momentum into the playoffs. It's not like this season where we practically know who's going to the playoffs with the WC.

Thank you for those numbers. I knew it was relatively high. The statement that the team has a better shot if they win the division is completely false. Last year the Yankees pretty much handed the Division to the Rays on purpose. they ended up in the ALCS and the Rays ended up on the couch. The division means so little, that if you already know you are getting in the playoffs it's almost better to rest your guys.

Nope, they won a weak NL Central.

Oh yeah, I just remembered them having a bad record.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Red Sox: 2-10 at Texas last three seasons. C.J. Wilson: 3-0 1.35 ERA against Red Sox in his career. I'd be very scared to settle for the Wild Card if I was a Red Sox fan.

Exactly my point. I'm not saying a wild card team can't win the world series, I'm saying in this instance it will make things MUCH tougher for the Red Sox / Yankees

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

HOLY CRAP YANKEES. I am not a fan of them, but I respect the tradition. And now, HOLY WOW! Three Grand Salamis in ONE Game! IMPRESSIVE! Much props to the apropos Bronx Bombers tonight. I am totally geeking out as a baseball fan. Look out Boston fans, it looks like New York is getting the swagger back.

Standings update.

AL East

Red Sox 80-50 0

Yankees 78-50 1.0

AL Central

Tigers 71-59 0

Indians 63-64 6.5

AL West

Rangers 74-58 0

Angels 71-59 2.0

NL East

Phillies 83-45 0