Team Re-brand Salaries

chickenfish13

Hi Guys,

I've been searching the web for this information, but can't really find anything. I'm curious as to how much a designer/design team makes for a re-brand of a team's identity. For example, how much would Studio Simon make for doing an entirely new identity package for an MiLB team? That's just one example.

I realize these numbers would vary greatly, but if anyone has any idea of even a rough number, that would be awesome.

Thanks Guys

GFB would probably be the best person to ask, after his work with the Mallards.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Well, lets just say the team is the Marlins

Whatever they paid him, I hope they got a refund.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Thanks Gordie, yeah I realize that almost no 2 projects would have the same compensation. Let's say Studio Simon's work for the Toledo Mudhens. Developed a new Primary, a Typeface, and 3 cap logos. They play in a AAA league. I know there are so many more factors that can go in there, but I think it's a better example.

I reckon for professional outfits you'd be looking at a 6 figure sum for a complete rebrand. However some leagues may have an internal design agency that handles stuff.

It also may not be a massive original fee but be royalty related over a certain amount of years

logo.png

I reckon for professional outfits you'd be looking at a 6 figure sum for a complete rebrand. However some leagues may have an internal design agency that handles stuff.

It also may not be a massive original fee but be royalty related over a certain amount of years

I doubt there's a royalty involved. The logos surely would become the property of the team once the project is completed in most cases.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I doubt there's a royalty involved. The logos surely would become the property of the team once the project is completed in most cases.

Probably not for major team rebrands but smaller teams who can't afford a massive initial fee

logo.png

all the variables involved will effect price. theres also the client's budget that you have to work with. i cant comment on how large companies like Pentagram and such do it, but for a single independent designer like myself, i have to take into consideration

1. client budget - how much they have to spend. will work/time be worth the effort

2. total deliverables - say a primary logo, secondary logo, and uniform design. thats much more work than a single logo

3. deadline - when its due. rush orders are more expensive

4. value to client - is this a mon&pop shop or Coca Cola? work is more valuable to larger clients. charge more

5. revisions - i generally offer 1 solution, then charge for revision steps. usually, thats $35 per step but the others 4 variables above affect this as well.

all this gets figured into a flat rate. i only do flat rates because it allows the client to budget for this, and everyone knows what to expect. negotiations can be made upon this. my flat rate for a single original logo (i do research, concepts, and production myself. not executing someone elses idea or doing a "refresh") starts at $400, and honestly thats low but its affordable and fair (based on the above) for the majority of my clients which are "small to medium" business. some national brands, some local start ups. if im doing work for a major pro sports team, its a 4 figure deal. its very rare that i do an original logo for less than $400 because if you dont want to spend that much on a quality design then go to a crowd sourcing site and get some terrible :censored: for $200. also if thats not in their budget, then its probably not someone i want to work with anyway. im flexible, but if you only have $50 for uniform design (true story) then you are not ready to start this project and need to re-assess your current situation and goals.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I've worked for a few agencies that deal with national brands and charged in two different ways.

1. Flat Fee - A price was determined at the start, along with hours devoted to the project. This way keeps changes/revisions to a certain minimum, but are you really giving them the best product possible?

2. Hourly Fee - We all know what this means, so I don't need to go into detail, but one agency I worked for would charge for every single print out, xerox made, CD burned on top of the hourly fee. What seems like a fair price suddenly balloons at the end a lot of times.

I work full time in a design studio now, but still freelance. I tell clients I can work either way for payment, and I have even done royalty-based projects. I will negotiate based on the size of the company, or if it's non-profit or will this lead to other/more work.

I've worked for a few agencies that deal with national brands and charged in two different ways.

1. Flat Fee - A price was determined at the start, along with hours devoted to the project. This way keeps changes/revisions to a certain minimum, but are you really giving them the best product possible?

2. Hourly Fee - We all know what this means, so I don't need to go into detail, but one agency I worked for would charge for every single print out, xerox made, CD burned on top of the hourly fee. What seems like a fair price suddenly balloons at the end a lot of times.

I work full time in a design studio now, but still freelance. I tell clients I can work either way for payment, and I have even done royalty-based projects. I will negotiate based on the size of the company, or if it's non-profit or will this lead to other/more work.

for me yes. a client is not necessarily buying my time or a number of concepts. they are buying a solution to a problem. thats the value. each project takes a different amount of time and sometimes the process varies. ultimately, the only thing that matters is the final result. theres some additional value for the freelancers because they wont (well, most) charge for all those things an agency will invoice for. if a client of mine comes back 2 months later and wants to change the color of a business card, then no problem. knock it out and send the file.

good insight to the agency world though.

oh also, i agree, i should say non-profits and more work from a single client will adjust my prices. i dont care for potential for more work, but as it comes in then i will cut them a bit of a break. be sure not to cut your prices on a "ill have lots of work for you down the road" line. respect yourself and profession and make them show it first

GRAPHIC ARTIST

for me yes. a client is not necessarily buying my time or a number of concepts. they are buying a solution to a problem. thats the value. each project takes a different amount of time and sometimes the process varies. ultimately, the only thing that matters is the final result. theres some additional value for the freelancers because they wont (well, most) charge for all those things an agency will invoice for. if a client of mine comes back 2 months later and wants to change the color of a business card, then no problem. knock it out and send the file.

oh also, i agree, i should say non-profits and more work from a single client will adjust my prices. i dont care for potential for more work, but as it comes in then i will cut them a bit of a break. be sure not to cut your prices on a "ill have lots of work for you down the road" line. respect yourself and profession and make them show it first

the "best product" was in reference to agency work, where your art director and account executive say when to stop.

the "lead to more work" comment was based on clients saying, "here do this one, and we have X-amount of projects ready to roll". don't confuse this with spec work.

the "best product" was in reference to agency work, where your art director and account executive say when to stop.

the "lead to more work" comment was based on clients saying, "here do this one, and we have X-amount of projects ready to roll". don't confuse this with spec work.

good points. i just advise being cautious of those new clients who say they have lots of future stuff they want done. not to say its just a line every time, but stranger things have happened.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

good points. i just advise being cautious of those new clients who say they have lots of future stuff they want done. not to say its just a line every time, but stranger things have happened.

i've been doing this a long time, i know what's up.

Archived