North Alabama (UNA) Lions

RevNet

Current (apologies for it being so small):

athletics-logo.png

Old:

LION_UNAONLY2C.jpg

From USA Today:

FLORENCE, Ala. (AP) ? The University of North Alabama board of trustees has voted to move up to NCAA Division I after a six-school defection from the Gulf South Conference left Division II competition in the area scarce.

The trustees voted 6-3 Monday in favor of the move that is projected to nearly move the annual cost of running the athletics program to $7.5 million from $4 million. The school plans to raise student athletic fees and attract more money from private donations and corporate sponsorships to help pay for it."This is an exciting time in the history of UNA ? a time of growth and momentum, for academics, for student life and for athletics," university President William G. Cale Jr. said in a statement. "As we move forward with the board's decision today, I am excited about our future. We have a plan to move ahead strategically and to build upon our very successful athletics program.

"University concerns were heard from our faculty, staff and students, and the resolution that was passed today includes benchmarks to address those concerns."

This is the same UNA that won three straight national championships in DII football (the first three-peat in NCAA history) in 1993, 1994, and 1995. Their transition website can be found here.

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

That's a shame. When I was in school at A&M-Kingsville, I knew the DII title went through UNA. We even got clipped in the title game in Florence once.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

My mother-in-law grew up in Florence, and went to what was then known as Florence State Teachers College. Her sister (who is 94 and is 14 years her senior) still lives in the house right across the street from the main entrance to the school, next to the lion's cage where Leo lives. For years, UNA has been panicked to buy Miriam's house and turn it into student housing . (It's a HUGE house.)

I went there a few years ago, and my mother-in-law, my wife and I will be going back there to visit Miriam a couple of weeks.

[/selfindulgence]

Only question left is which conference are they finna join?

(personally, my money's on the OVC...would be a good rivalry with Jax State, plus the playoff format would remain that they all love so dearly)

bYhYmxh.png

(personally, my money's on the OVC...would be a good rivalry with Jax State, plus the playoff format would remain that they all love so dearly)

Jacksonville State is joining the sunbelt.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Grrrrrrrr, North 'Bama. >:/ Still sour about that playoff-play in game Saturday against them.

Logo: Its just their helmet logo with UNA on top. They really do have a nice identity. Shame they dropped the T, it makes for some fun signs when we play them. (TUNA)

D2 wise: Shame they're leaving, like Bouj said, our championship is played in their stadium along with our hall of fame or something like that. They are also one of the Big 3 and a really good conference rival. Always a good game when we go head to head.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Ugh, major gear-grinder. There is no reason for this phrase to exist, especially in writing.

Linguistic professors disagree.

Best news is with the preparations for the move, they've actually increased their admission requirements. Minimum ACT score was upped from a 14 to a 16. Roar Lions, Roar.

They had a minimum of 14!? Are they really that desperate for students?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

This thread is fantastic. There's more historical information about UNA than actual talk of the logo. :lol:

Wouldn't call it an upgrade, but not a downgrade at all. It's been more "Phoenix'd" than anything...

Exactly, it is less of a change than the Arizona Cardinals did.

The bigger shame is that the program is going to place the additional cost of moving up to D-1 on the student body via fee increases.

This thread is fantastic. There's more historical information about UNA than actual talk of the logo. :lol:

Wouldn't call it an upgrade, but not a downgrade at all. It's been more "Phoenix'd" than anything...

Exactly, it is less of a change than the Arizona Cardinals did.

The bigger shame is that the program is going to place the additional cost of moving up to D-1 on the student body via fee increases.

And the chance that Florence retains the D2 championship game is between slim and none. The move from D-2 is perhaps the most idiotic thing the area civic leaders have done since building a revolving restaurant in a tower.

Archived