St. Petersburg Times article on fake jerseys

CrookedThumb

I was just reading the paper and I came across an article about fake NHL merchandise. It had a picture of a fake Vinny Lecavalier jersey sold on eBay, and I knew I had to show it to you guys. Luckily I went on the St. Pete Times website and found the article with a pic.

sptimes.com

I know a lot of us here are "die hard sports fans" but does it really matter if it's authentic or not to the average person?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

absolutely it matters

If you are thirsty for a Coke, but you go to the store and grab the first red can you see, because you know Coke comes in red cans, you are going to be very disappointed when you drink it and realize you bought a generic cola. Just because you can make it look similar to the original doesn't make it the same quality as the original.

These fake jerseys are just a scam to con innocent people out of money (although I think the average fan would know how to spell their favorite player's name). Bad knockoffs give the authentic licensed vendors a bad reputation. You pay more for the real thing, but the quality is much better. You would hope you are getting what you paid for. And if you do buy one of these fake jerseys, you are taking money from those who legitimately and honestly procured the proper licenses to manufacture the merchandise.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

A few thoughts pop-up in my minds, on both side of the coin:

-First of all, REAL Fans (those who are willing to invest their hard earned dollars) shouldn't buy without seing, this one is a little obvious, even without the mis-spelling, the shape of the white shoulders look quite fake to me...

-On the other hand, after being gouged $75 for tickets in the "nose-bleeds", $20 for a beer and a hot-dog, do I feel sorry to deprive these whining millionaires of $12,5M? NO!

I miss the days where as a kid, we'd get the "felt logo" shirt from Sears... In today's "Vintage" Pop Culture, there are now "IN".

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I know a lot of us here are "die hard sports fans" but does it really matter if it's authentic or not to the average person?

All the complaining people do about stealing each other's ideas on this board and you make a comment like that.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

A few thoughts pop-up in my minds, on both side of the coin:

-First of all, REAL Fans (those who are willing to invest their hard earned dollars) shouldn't buy without seing, this one is a little obvious, even without the mis-spelling, the shape of the white shoulders look quite fake to me...

-On the other hand, after being gouged $75 for tickets in the "nose-bleeds", $20 for a beer and a hot-dog, do I feel sorry to deprive these whining millionaires of $12,5M? NO!

I miss the days where as a kid, we'd get the "felt logo" shirt from Sears... In today's "Vintage" Pop Culture, there are now "IN".

The new guy makes the best point.

This makes me laugh because about 2 years ago when the "retro craze" was really big in the NBA I was bidding on this old 1984 Utah Jazz green road jersey and somebody happened to steal it away from me at the last minute. So I emailed the buyer and asked why he was so persistent on getting this jersey and he said that he was putting together this little side business where he was going to create replica jerseys from the past. He said the only difference between his and Mitchell & Ness's was that he was going to replace the screened on numbers and logo with actual cloth. I thought this was a really cool idea at first because they didn't use cloth back in the 80's like they do today and if I could have gotten my hand on a 1984 green Adrian Dantley jersey, I would have crapped my pants. So as time went on I stayed in contact with this fellow and I asked to see some proof or examples of what he created using the jersey he got off of Ebay and he said that he only takes orders from people who have enough money that this wouldn't be a concern to. In other words he meant that he just wanted money from people who collected retro jerseys and didn't really care if they looked like crap or not. After time I just assumed what he was doing was just scamming people out of money. So in reference to what you said, I totally agree. You have to see the product before you actually buy it. Ebay is a sellers dream house for this kind of crap.

All the complaining people do about stealing each other's ideas on this board and you make a comment like that.

What are you talking about? In reference to what jpslapshot22 said, some people like Coke and some people don't care if they get Shasta or a generic store brand. Obviously the average person in American doesn't have a whole lot of money to just blow $250 here and there on a jersey so they may buy a lower quality version. I see this all the time!

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

What are you talking about? In reference to what jpslapshot22 said, some people like Coke and some people don't care if they get Shasta or a generic store brand. Obviously the average person in American doesn't have a whole lot of money to just blow $250 here and there on a jersey so they may buy a lower quality version. I see this all the time!

If you can only afford, or preffer low-quality products that's one thing. Shasta's beverages come in a Shasta can! It says it clearly on the label. You know what you're buying. Shasta doesn't come in a Coke can. I have a feeling that if i were to take one of your designs, put it on a hockey jersey and sell it on eBay for $50 a pop that you'd probably have a problem with that. I don't know, maybe not.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

If they don't care about it, I guess not... but the sellers shouldn't mislead them by saying it's authentic.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

dude, do you have a french mind and a canadian mind?

Not sure I'm following here???

Did I make an obvious grammar error? or just having fun with my "Rich Cultural Heritage"?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

If you can only afford, or preffer low-quality products that's one thing. Shasta's beverages come in a Shasta can! It says it clearly on the label. You know what you're buying. Shasta doesn't come in a Coke can. I have a feeling that if i were to take one of your designs, put it on a hockey jersey and sell it on eBay for $50 a pop that you'd probably have a problem with that. I don't know, maybe not.

That's a whole other issue. If you read my first question again you'll see that I didn't mention them being mislead. I was just curious if people really care if they buy a authentic than a lower quality. I'm with you, I'm against people misleading buyers.

Retired Number's To Come

Well this does matter.

Ill say that straight up. Not everyone has expertise we have in spotting the sometimes minute details in some of these.

I think the market for them is there, not everyone wants to pay for these, but thats capitalism. Either you can afford it, or you cant. The opportunity to come up with the money is up to you, but ill spare you my economic mumbo-jumbo.

That said, i think that there is a great market for cheaper knock-offs. Ask any girl who has a fake Louis Vuitton bag. These sports should be offering a cheaper solution for like-authentic pieces, especially throwbacks.

That doesnt forgive the lawlessness behavior, but it DOES underline a great need.

Basically, if these people were up front with what they are selling, i think people would be better served, but they wont ever do that.

Counterfeiting will always be, and there will always be stiff consequnces for it, thats just how things work.

Well this does matter.

Ill say that straight up. Not everyone has expertise we have in spotting the sometimes minute details in some of these.

I think the market for them is there, not everyone wants to pay for these, but thats capitalism. Either you can afford it, or you cant. The opportunity to come up with the money is up to you, but ill spare you my economic mumbo-jumbo.

That said, i think that there is a great market for cheaper knock-offs. Ask any girl who has a fake Louis Vuitton bag. These sports should be offering a cheaper solution for like-authentic pieces, especially throwbacks.

That doesnt forgive the lawlessness behavior, but it DOES underline a great need.

Basically, if these people were up front with what they are selling, i think people would be better served, but they wont ever do that.

Counterfeiting will always be, and there will always be stiff consequnces for it, thats just how things work.

I agree. The NHL needs a standard cheap replica jersey with Iron on features and a NAME ON THE BACK for about $50-$60 US. Yeah, I know about Slap-Shot jerseys, but it should be like NFL jerseys, which promote the player and are seen everywhere. In essence, it should be like the NBA: Heat pressed at bottom, "Swingman" stiched and lighter material in the middle, authentic at top

Archived