Minor Majors?

bosrs1

I was thinking the other day about the Tucson Padres and Wochester Sharks and it got me thinking about minor league teams that take their parent team identities and it inspired me to want to compare all of them across the big 4 leagues since being so "unoriginal" with team names can so easily backfire or lead to lack of a distinct identity. I'm referring specifically the ones that don't take a different name not the ones that while having a different name might take some aspect of their parent team's identity (ie think Pawtucket Red Sox, not Portland SeaDogs). So without further ado I'm going to start with MLB since I think they have the most offenders, specifically the first team I'll do the Braves. I'll list them by parent and then descending order of unoriginal offspring. This will probably take a while and multiple posts so bear with me.

Atlanta Braves

Logo: 200px-Atlanta_Braves.svg.png

Cap Logo: 200px-Atlanta_Braves_Insignia.svg.png

Gwinnett Braves - AAA

Logo:Gwinnett_Braves.PNG

Cap Logo: Gwinnett_cap.PNG

Mississippi Braves - AA

Logo: MississippiBraves.png

Cap Logo: MississippiBravesCap.png

Rome Braves - A

Logo: RomeBravesLogo.PNG

Cap Logo: RomeBravesCapLogo.PNG

Danville Braves - Rookie

Logo: Danville_Braves.PNG

Cap Logo: D-Braves.PNG

I'd give Johnson City a pass there - sure, they're still the Cardinals, but the logos don't look like either Springfield or Palm Beach.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The 1993/94 AHL season was filled with teams like this.

Adirondack Red Wings

Binghamton Rangers

Cape Breton Oilers

Fredericton Canadiens

Hamilton Canucks

Providence Bruins

Saint John Flames

St. John's Maple Leafs

Not too mention other teams such as the:

Capital District Islanders

P.E.I. Senators

Utica Devils

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Colorado Rockies

200px-Colorado_Rockies_logo.svg.png

Logo

200px-Colorado_Rockies_Cap_Insignia.svg.png

Cap

Grand Junction Rockies - Rookie

GJ_Rockies.png

Logo

I'd give Johnson City a pass there - sure, they're still the Cardinals, but the logos don't look like either Springfield or Palm Beach.

I'm kinda looking for team like them and Daytona. Teams that have taken the name but have chosen to go the original route and try to create their own identity with the name rather than just outright stealing from their parents team (present or past). An example of the "past" being the Mississippi Braves cap logo which is not far off the old Milwaukee Braves logo.

The Jays are bad for this too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Shocked no one mentioned the Dunedin Blue Jays.

At one point they wore jerseys identical to the ones worn by the Jays:

otm4atlsif1h7udia73qifxwh.gif

...explained to me here by Chris (and on a side note, I can't believe I forgot that the road greys never had "BLUE JAYS" on them).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Wait, I'm confused. Are we on the boards or the mothership?

Was it really necessary to post all these logos? You could have just listed them and people could've gone to the mapmaker to check them out for themselves.

It's a lot easier than clicking on a link and then the back button thirty times or searching them up. Plus, you can have a visual comparison.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Wait, I'm confused. Are we on the boards or the mothership?

Was it really necessary to post all these logos? You could have just listed them and people could've gone to the mapmaker to check them out for themselves.

Mapmaker?

Shocked no one mentioned the Dunedin Blue Jays.

The Jays are bad for this too.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived