The NHL realignment thread

nash61

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I missing something here?

Why can't they just do the 4 divisions where you play everyone else once home and once road setup, only call 2 of them Wales and 2 of them Campbell? Why are they all distinct? Just do the divisional playoffs of the Patrick/Adams meeting in the Cup Semis (I know, I know, the names will change) and Norris/Smythe the same and then play for the cup.

Is that so hard?

And how about something like the CFL, where the lower 4-seed can be given to someone in the other division who may have a better record as a 5-seed in another division.

Random made-up example: I.E. the Devils finish 5th in the "Patrick" but have more poitns than the 4-seeded Sabres in the "Adams" then the Devils become the 4 in the Adams.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Why can't they just do the 4 divisions where you play everyone else once home and once road setup, only call 2 of them Wales and 2 of them Campbell? Why are they all distinct? Just do the divisional playoffs of the Patrick/Adams meeting in the Cup Semis (I know, I know, the names will change) and Norris/Smythe the same and then play for the cup.

Is that so hard?

And how about something like the CFL, where the lower 4-seed can be given to someone in the other division who may have a better record as a 5-seed in another division.

Random made-up example: I.E. the Devils finish 5th in the "Patrick" but have more poitns than the 4-seeded Sabres in the "Adams" then the Devils become the 4 in the Adams.

Crossovers aren't necessary because of the balanced non-division schedule IMO. Everybody in the division plays the same non-division schedule, so really its how you play inside the division that controls your playoff destiny. Which means its fine with me for teams to sit at home if they can't crack the top 4. It's not like one of the teams ahead of #5 gorged themselves on a comparatively weak schedule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In theory with this new schedule couldn't a teams with better records than some of the playoff teams actually finish out of the playoffs?

I am all in favor of the divisional playoff system since it is so close to the one I grew up on, but my scenario could happen right?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Just throwing this idea out there, but how about naming one of the conferences after Ace Bailey (the conference with the Maple Leafs in it, obviously) and another after Marcel Dionne (the conference with the Kings in it)? Dionne is quietly one of the greatest hockey players ever.

spacer.png

Just throwing this idea out there, but how about naming one of the conferences after Ace Bailey (the conference with the Maple Leafs in it, obviously) and another after Marcel Dionne (the conference with the Kings in it)? Dionne is quietly one of the greatest hockey players ever.

Marcel Dionne has to the the only case of when an all time great in any sport where playing in Los Angeles actually hurt their exposure and popularity.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Marcel Dionne has to the the only case of when an all time great in any sport where playing in Los Angeles actually hurt their exposure and popularity.

Which is why naming the far-western conference after him would help people know about him. I'd be willing to venture that 8 out of 10 self proclaimed hockey fans have never heard of him, let alone Los Angelinos, where hockey is solidly the fourth sport behind the Lakers, USC Football and Dodgers (and it'd be the fifth when/if they get an NFL team).

If he had played in Montreal or Chicago or Boston, he'd be a household name.

spacer.png

In theory with this new schedule couldn't a teams with better records than some of the playoff teams actually finish out of the playoffs?

I am all in favor of the divisional playoff system since it is so close to the one I grew up on, but my scenario could happen right?

Absolutely. It happened during the 80s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I know, I just wondered if the NHL would want that to happen now.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Is that so hard?

Now why on earth would the NHL follow a playoff gimmick implemented within MLS?

That's almost sort of enticing but for the globetrotting it would entail, which this plan is supposed to be eliminating in the first place. There's no real reason why the West has to battle the East for the championship, when you think about it. The conferences aren't descended from independent leagues, after all. 1-16 would thus eliminate the most randomness and come closer to giving you the best two teams. Maybe the NBA should take it up, since the idea of having good teams go deep in the playoffs is a real "fire BAD!" for many hockey fans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1980s? It happened last year. Both Calgary and Dallas had better records than the Rangers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is that so hard?

Crossovers aren't necessary because of the balanced non-division schedule IMO. Everybody in the division plays the same non-division schedule, so really its how you play inside the division that controls your playoff destiny. Which means its fine with me for teams to sit at home if they can't crack the top 4. It's not like one of the teams ahead of #5 gorged themselves on a comparatively weak schedule.

The CFL has a balanced non division schedule-each team plays the teams in the other division twice, and on a rotating they play the teams in their own division 3 or 4 times...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

1980s? It happened last year. Both Calgary and Dallas had better records than the Rangers.

Only because of loser points. The Rangers won more games than both Calgary and Dallas.

Here's an idea:

Buddy the Goon Conference (Pacific)

Gordon Bombay Conference (Central)

Darren McCord Conference (Atlantic)

Eddie LeBlanc Conference (Eastern)

Archived