Don Kay and the NBA

Don_Kay

The NBA is back this weekend so I thought I would put up my latest effort on here. My plan is to present my two teams (One Western and One Eastern) at a time and then progress them until they are 'finished'. All teams will have changes to uniforms (some slight, some drastic) and the same goes for the logo.

First up are Miami and Oklahoma City.

August 22 Update on page 2

These feel like logos that you would find in an unlicensed basketball game starring Jordan Michael. I don't think that is the feel you are looking for. You have clumsy fonts that don't go with the logos, and elements that just don't make any sense, like the N. Not only that, the execution is extremely off (see the basketball portion of your Thunder logo).

Do not take this as a personal attack, because it isn't. It is my criticism of your work so far. It needs to go back to the drawing board, but I do applaud you for actually putting some effort into these unlike 99% of the concepts now found on this once great board. It still disgusts me that 5 minute recolorings get far more comments than anything that shows that there was effort of any kind put into it (yours is of the having effort into it variety).

I like the approach you have. I really enjoy the palette you used for the Thunder, much better than their current one IMO. I would have to agree to all the above comments about fonts and the OKC placement. Also, while the Heat gradient looks cool now, I know from experience that it doesn't look as good or work as well when it is a stand alone logo. Finally, did you make the all-black Heat jersey before or after they announced their new all-black jersey?

...some things the same, a little less Red, White and Blue.

The NBA is back this weekend so I thought I would put up my latest effort on here. My plan is to present my two teams (One Western and One Eastern) at a time and then progress them until they are 'finished'. All teams will have changes to uniforms (some slight, some drastic) and the same goes for the logo.

First up are Miami and Oklahoma City.

Click to view

miamilogo.png

oklahomalogo.png

the miami one is great! okc, however, looks awful. the colours don't work.try and yellow for thunder. also the thunder should be replaced with okc in the font you used for the "n". i do like the jerseys however. you should post them up here.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

OK, the first update of the Oklahoma logo is below, I tried to tie the basketball and the clouds into a more cohesive element.

text4139.png

way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

OK, the first update of the Oklahoma logo is below, I tried to tie the basketball and the clouds into a more cohesive element.

text4139.png

The lettering still needs some work, looks a little odd with the background, but that ball/storm cloud is absolutely sweet. Take time and find a font or custom marks that really go with it because THAT is definitely the focal point of the logo. For instance "Thunder" kind of covers ip too much of the key portions of the middle of the ball.

You are definitely on the right track with the latest Thunder revision. The wordmark doesn't lend itself well to the logo though. If you are having trouble incorporating the wordmark, perhaps changing the perspective will open up new options?

Maybe a front shot of the ball, slightly rotated up will allow you to contain "Oklahoma City" within the ball, but still give it a dynamic perspective.

text4139.png

Excellent logo, I like where it's going!! The font's execution/placement isn't perfect, but I love the ball-cloud. See if you can do something about extending the bolt downward.

I've always liked the thought of a simple black/creamsicle orange color scheme. I don't know if you'll implement the charcoal into the uniforms, but I think that if you did, it would look great and unique. I've thought that Oklahoma City should use a dark gray in their color scheme.

One side note: How would that red-orange the Thunder use now (Color Code around #fe2c10) would look on that logo? Just a thought.

Here I've extended the lightning bolt passed the basketball and gone to a different font.

text41391.png

In OKC's current Orange

Stick with the font from the first edit. thats the best one.

Here I've extended the lightning bolt passed the basketball and gone to a different font.

text41391.png

In OKC's current Orange

Stick with the font from the first edit. thats the best one.

No it's not. Looks too much like some bottom of the barrel semi-pro team that plays it's games in a community rec center. No offense to the OP. The right font just needs to be found and then the placement of the text can be worked with. Great start with the ball/cloud.

text41391.png

text41392.png

Side-by-side for comparison. The creamsicle orange is good and works with black/charcoal, but I like the red-orange (I call it vermillion) paired with black and charcoal as well. The font is certainly better, and I like how the bolt and basketball lines come off the cloud-ball. Good work.

Archived