V.V.G.H.L.: Vintage Video Game Hockey League

Morgan33

Morgo, these are great. I've really enjoyed this series. Quality work! (although the above white jerseys would look better with the black and blue checked striping IMO).

I'm curious, how long does one of these concepts take to do from scratch?

Thanks! Im glad you are enjoying the series. As for how long they take, they can range anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours. A lot of times I will complete the primaries and come back to alternate later. The template is traced so it doesn't take long to do that, the logos and colour choices are a different story :)

wow. the sonic jerseys remind me of the old predators alternates. im a fan of the third logo. do an update on the sonics jerseys by taking the preds old alts striping exactly and adding that third jersey logo and red to the set. the third should be a red jersey.

I appreciate the suggestions but I don't want to just copy the old Predators design. Red doesn't scream Sonics to me, especially when their rival in this league is the Marios, a primarily red team.

I like it, but I think that white-blue checkering would look much better on the away than white-silver.

Ahh the white silver checkering... I don't want to use blue checkering because that aspect of the design is supposed to be subtle. Though the black outlines around the checkers really detract what I was going for.

Gotta say, you missed a great opportunity with the city you used. Seattle would've been perfect! :P

In all seriousness, I like the home and away sets, but I agree that blue/white checkering would look better than the blue/navy and white/silver checkering. Also, I'm not a big fan of the Alt... It just doesn't say Sonic to me... I also think it would be cool if you made a gold/yellow alt that features Super Sonic.

Toke a risk with the alt. The striping was supposed to mimick the loop filled courses sonic runs through. I do see your point however.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the teams so far look great. My favourite are probably the Minnesota Yoshi's just because I love the black and green colour scheme.

Honestly though, I know nothing about most of these video games, so I can't really comment on how well they represent the video games.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Time for the 9th entry in the series!

The Anaheim Assassins

06anaheimassassins.png

This concept is based loosely off Perfect Dark (the original, not the god awful prequel) but I guess it could apply to any first person shooter. Went with the Anaheim Ducks palette but gave orange a more prominant role. The striping is somewhat similar to them as well but more understated. I am working on updating the Marios so expect that next. I will also use your feedback to update the Sonics as well. Not happy with how it turned out. C & C welcome and appreciated as always. Cheers :)

Mario needs eyebrows.

Yes.

Use one of the Mario series' many iconic images as a shoulder patch or alternate logo.

Calgary Marios Update

11marios.png

Mario is back! This time with eyebrows, a new secondary logo and a new colour scheme. Brick and Green have been removed in favour of a palette influenced by the Calgary Flames (not coincidentally, the striping is what I wish the Flames would do). As for the secondary logo, I thought the invincibility star would be appropriate for a team trying to show bravado against it's opponents on the ice. I didn't make an alternate because it is starting to feel like an obligation and in a lot of cases they seem far inferior to the primaries. As always C & C greatly apprecaited. Sonics update is on the way and then I just got one more to conclude the series. Thanks for looking.

yes! this is awesome! great job.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

It is time for the tenth entry of the series.

Vancouver Jetsets

11vancouverjetsets.png

This set is based of a short lived video game series that pioneered Cel Shading. It started with "Jet Grind Radio" on the Sega Dreamcast and ended with Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox. Went with a futuristic palette of Black, White and Neon Green and emulated the cartoon-like quality of it's characters with the logos. The shoulder patch gives a subtle nod to the Stick and Rink without directly ripping it off. As for this series I have a Sonics update, and two final concepts to round the league out to 12. I have really appreciated the feedback I've been getting and will definitely start work on an NHL series once this concludes.

11vancouverjetsets.png

10newyorkrollers.png

I put so many hours into JGR and the first Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast (such an underrated system). Thanks for bringing up some awesome memories of some great games. All of these designs look incredible, by the way. Very well done.

Anyways, I need to dig my DC out and see if that bad boy still works.

Toronto Sonics Update

Rather than redo the entire drawing I decided to just tweak the colours to make the identity more consistent. The checkers are now navy on both jerseys and that awful shade of teal on the alternate has been vanquished. The original concept is below for comparision. I thought about completely redoing this concept but I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out. The alternate doesn't scream "Sonic The Hedgehog" but it plays up the regional aspect of Toronto which is a nice change of pace.

02torontosonics.png

02torontosonics.png

Stay tuned for the last two concepts of the series... The New York Wake and Pittsburgh Pacman (men?). Thanks for looking!

Back to back winners here. One, genius in its simplicity, the other a complete fix based on C&C.

It still impresses the hell out of me that you've redrawn all of this when it would've taken 10 minutes on any other program. On top of that, you actually heeded everybody's advice and made your concept so much better.

Seems like the perfect match, (game, colors, striping, etc) for Vancouver, too. I can't wait for you to finish this series and start your next project. Keep up the good work!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

thank you so much for the jetset jerseys. i loved that game(have a dreamcast and it still works) and thanks to you i want to beat it again!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Some cool ideas here--a fun thread--the Mario update is an improvement as it shows off the logo well--and has eyebrows, and the striping is more appealing to the eyes.

If you have access to a scanner that may show the picture better, but this is cool if you either don't have a scanner or just prefer to do it this way.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for the kind words guys, I can't wait to start the next series!

Some cool ideas here--a fun thread--the Mario update is an improvement as it shows off the logo well--and has eyebrows, and the striping is more appealing to the eyes.

If you have access to a scanner that may show the picture better, but this is cool if you either don't have a scanner or just prefer to do it this way.

I unfortunately do not have access to a scanner so the best I can do is snap pictures with a digital camera and upload them. I may invest in one for the next series but for now I gotta make do :)

A little bit of a teaser in my signature... It features the logos of all teams for this league. Will be posting the New York Wake tomorrow, the Pittsburgh Pacmen on Wednesday and a photo of the entire league on Friday. Stay tuned!

1500th post! Now for the 11th concept in the series....

The New York Wake

01newyorkwake.png

If the Rollers are this leagues Rangers, the Wake are it's Islanders. Based this concept on the all too brief Wave Race series. I was inspired by the old two tone blue Penguins jerseys but wanted to make Gold more prominent. The primary logo features the letters "N" "Y" and "W" combined for a simple, iconic look in the vein of the Islanders. For the alternate, I designed a circle logo depicting the mascot for the Gamecube version, Wave Race Blue Storm and came up with an angular striping pattern. It's hard to tell from the light but the jerseys do not feature any black, it's all navy. Thanks for looking, just one more concept to complete the series!

I'd make the collar on the home navy, but that's about it for the jerseys. I like how you incorporated a "y" into the "w", but it's pointless without an "n". I'd try to incorporate an "n" in there somewhere, or else ditch the "y". Also, on the alt logo, it looks more like "wak e" than "wake".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived