V.V.G.H.L.: Vintage Video Game Hockey League

Morgan33

What kind of pens / pencils are you using to color in the jerseys?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd make the collar on the home navy, but that's about it for the jerseys. I like how you incorporated a "y" into the "w", but it's pointless without an "n". I'd try to incorporate an "n" in there somewhere, or else ditch the "y". Also, on the alt logo, it looks more like "wak e" than "wake".

There is an "N" incorporated, its just hard to tell because it also forms the "W" and "Y" but you can find all three letters in there. As for the alt logo, I agree, its very difficult hand drawing scripts.

What kind of pens / pencils are you using to color in the jerseys?

The pen I use is a 2 mm "DR Pilot" with pigment ink. Lets you make fine lines without bleeding. The markers I use are Prismacolor Premier's with dual tips. The come in over 100 different colours.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I can't wait to start the next series!

Some cool ideas here--a fun thread--the Mario update is an improvement as it shows off the logo well--and has eyebrows, and the striping is more appealing to the eyes.

If you have access to a scanner that may show the picture better, but this is cool if you either don't have a scanner or just prefer to do it this way.

I unfortunately do not have access to a scanner so the best I can do is snap pictures with a digital camera and upload them. I may invest in one for the next series but for now I gotta make do :)

No problem--I can see them fine.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for the kind words guys, I can't wait to start the next series!

Some cool ideas here--a fun thread--the Mario update is an improvement as it shows off the logo well--and has eyebrows, and the striping is more appealing to the eyes.

If you have access to a scanner that may show the picture better, but this is cool if you either don't have a scanner or just prefer to do it this way.

I unfortunately do not have access to a scanner so the best I can do is snap pictures with a digital camera and upload them. I may invest in one for the next series but for now I gotta make do :)

No problem--I can see them fine.

i see all the letters.good job! never played this game, but i wish i did.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Thanks Cody. It is now time for the final concept of this series. For this one I got to give props to "Hockeyweek" as he came up with the idea for both the team and the Steelers inspired secondary logo.

The Pittsburgh Pacman

13pacmen.png

Yes the name is gramatically incorrect but like "The Maple Leafs" it sounds better that way. I had a concept for Pittsburgh earlier called "The Yoshi's" but pittburgh's colours simply didn't fit so they were relocated to Minnesota. Pacman on the other hand works well with Pittsburgh's colours and this time I decided to go with a proper shade of yellow instead of Vegas. For the logo, I thought simple was the way to go for a character as iconic as Pacman and I incorporated the game's pellets into the hem striping. The alternate features the secondary logo front & center and takes a cue from Nashville with it's colour. This has been a fun series and I definitely appreciate all the kind words and feedback I've recieved. I will be back tomorrow to post a picture of the entire league. Cheers.

Thanks Cody. It is now time for the final concept of this series. For this one I got to give props to "Hockeyweek" as he came up with the idea for both the team and the Steelers inspired secondary logo.

The Pittsburgh Pacman

13pacmen.png

Yes the name is gramatically incorrect but like "The Maple Leafs" it sounds better that way. I had a concept for Pittsburgh earlier called "The Yoshi's" but pittburgh's colours simply didn't fit so they were relocated to Minnesota. Pacman on the other hand works well with Pittsburgh's colours and this time I decided to go with a proper shade of yellow instead of Vegas. For the logo, I thought simple was the way to go for a character as iconic as Pacman and I incorporated the game's pellets into the hem striping. The alternate features the secondary logo front & center and takes a cue from Nashville with it's colour. This has been a fun series and I definitely appreciate all the kind words and feedback I've recieved. I will be back tomorrow to post a picture of the entire league. Cheers.

That secondary logo is brilliant (bow) Had good laugh when I saw it. This is easily my favorite set in the league.

that hem is awesome! i play pacman a lot on Google and i love it! great job on this series and i cant wait to see your next project.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

The Pittsburgh set is definitely my favourite, there's so many great details you don't recognise on your first look, really good

Oh is this where you put your teams title successes?

Well let's see, I support Northampton Town FC...

We've spent just one year in the top flight of English football in our entire history and that was in the 60's...

And that's it. We've been around for 115 years and that's all we have to show for it...

Oh, and I like the Cubs. I think I hate myself...

This is the final post of the series! A look at the entire league!

14fullleague.png

From Bottom to top, left to right...

Anaheim Assassins

Calgary Marios

Edmonton Triforce

Minnesota Yoshis

New York Rollers

New York Wake

Pittsburgh Pacman

Montreal Quake

San Jose Metroids

Toronto Sonics

Vancouver Jetsets

Victoria Knights

Would like to thank everyone for their kind words and constructive criticisms. I am looking forward to doing another series soon! One last thing I would like to say to those complaining about the Concepts section, it is what you make it. I personally think the quality of concepts has taken an upward swing in recent months. Anyhow thanks again, it's been fun.

They tie together brilliantly as a league. I know I haven't commented a lot throughout the entire league but these are all fantastically done, especially considering that you drew them all by hand and still listened to the C&C and went back to change them, no doubt a laborious task. I really loved this series and hope to see another one soon!

Oh is this where you put your teams title successes?

Well let's see, I support Northampton Town FC...

We've spent just one year in the top flight of English football in our entire history and that was in the 60's...

And that's it. We've been around for 115 years and that's all we have to show for it...

Oh, and I like the Cubs. I think I hate myself...

The pen I use is a 2 mm "DR Pilot" with pigment ink. Lets you make fine lines without bleeding. The markers I use are Prismacolor Premier's with dual tips. The come in over 100 different colours.

Just looked those up - didn't realize pencils could be that expensive. Might pick up a 48 pack anyway though, just to mess around with. Thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't believe this is the first time I've look at this thread. WOW. A fantastic series! Really, one of the most creative and well executed concept series that I've seen in a long time. Bravo.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I can't believe this is the first time I've look at this thread. WOW. A fantastic series! Really, one of the most creative and well executed concept series that I've seen in a long time. Bravo.

I very much appreciate the kind words :). This series has concluded but I will be back with an NHL series in the next month.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say there's some real cleverness and creativity in all of this, and I think it's awesome that you hand-drew the series. Much like the designs themselves, the method in which you made them takes me back. Nice work.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 years later...

Archived