V.V.G.H.L.: Vintage Video Game Hockey League

Morgan33

Greetings sports logo enthusiasts.

I am not a designer by any means but have always had a passion for both drawing and Sports Logos. Since 2002 I have been hand drawing jerseys for both fictional and non-fictional leagues and thought I would finally share some on these boards.

This is a series I've been working on recently with teams based off some of my favourite video games of old. The template I use was hand drawn, refined with rulers and traced over and over to provide consistency. I use the same process with the logos. This is a league with ten teams and I will be posting a new one each day. On to the first!

The Montreal Quake

This was the first video game based concept I did. I was inspired by jersey Id Software programmer John Carmack was wearing with the Quake III logo crested on the old Sabres Red and Black jersey. I decided the original Quake logo would look better and gave it a traditional striping pattern based loosely off the New York Rangers. For the alternate, I went with Royal Blue and the shoulder logo is a symbolic representation of a popular weapon in Q3 Arena, the Rail Gun.

vvghl03quake.png%7Boption%7D

Comments and criticism greatly appreciated though keep in mind I can not make adjustments as quickly as people who do concepts digitally :flagcanada:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really a comment on the concept itself, but thank you for doing a series completely hand-drawn. I hope this will be a big eye-opener to a lot of the users on here that take 5 seconds to produce a concept, and then defend themselves by saying they don't have a good program. If you can do an entire series on paper, with jerseys, it shows that they can take the time to sketch something as well. And yours aren't just mere sketches, the jersey template is great, really clean, as well as the logo. Really nice job, like I said hopefully this will stop some people from complaining so much, and maybe even be a boost to the quality of stuff done on the board.

Time for the second entry of the series.

The San Jose Metroids

If this league were real, the Metroids would be it's 90's expansion team. For the colours I borrowed heavily from the San Jose Sharks but toke a cue from the New Jersey Devils in making the black stripes consistant for both jerseys. Always liked the Sharks new scheme but thought the way it was executed was too convoluted. I am particularly proud of the logo as it was quite a struggle to turn one of those complicated little buggers into an acceptable jersey crest. Think i finally nailed it with this logo but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :P

04sanjosemetroids.png

This will be the last submission for this week but I'll be back on Monday. C&C appreciated. Cheers.

This is an awesome series. Both concepts are very sharp. I'd be interested to see some wordmarks and number fonts.

Ahh yes... number fonts. Something I have been avoiding for a long, long time with my drawings. The concepts for this series are all finished as we speak so I can't go back and change them. That being said I am going to try and add the aspects you mentioned to my next series. Appreciate the kind words.

This is pretty neat, man! I agree that it would be cool to see some numbers and wordmarks.

PLEASE tell me there's a Mega Man concept!!

Not currently, but I've expanded the series to 11, may as well make it an even number. Thats a good idea, never thought of doing that one.

The Legend of Zelda set will look great with the green and gold.

It's coming and it does feature green and gold, all I'm saying for now ^_^

Would like to thank everyone for the kind and inspiring words. I will definitely be doing an NHL series after this one concludes. On to the next concept!

The Edmonton Triforce

I was going to wait on posting this as it's my favourite of the bunch but since it was mentioned, why wait. I drew inspiration from the 90's again giving the team angular sleeve stripes and a 4 colour palette. The Triforce logo appears three times (check the collar) on the Home and Away while an admittedly cartoonish Link takes centre stage on the front. For the alternate I went the fauxback route but resisted the temptation to use vintage white.

07edmontontriforce.png

As always, C & C welcome and appreciated.

These are sweet! My only 2 gripes would be to invert the orange and white on the shoulder area (collar, yoke, and lines under the yoke) and to make the home collar either green or white (because otherwise, you have 3 colours fighting for dominance; it's better to have blue/green as the main colours with black/beige on the side as trim).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived