V.V.G.H.L.: Vintage Video Game Hockey League

Morgan33

The Mario set is nice, but it needs something (besides the obvious eyebrows, which has already been mentioned). Use one of the Mario series' many iconic images as a shoulder patch or alternate logo.

Might I suggest you use Mario in the tanooki suit as a logo on the third jersey? Obviously not this specific one, since you're hand-drawing this series (which I really admire).

tanooki-mario.jpg

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may want to relocate the Yoshis to a city where Green is a more popular color.

This. When I think of Yoshi, I think of green.

I definitely like it, but I agree with the comments concerning green.

I'd also like to see the third jersey logo feature yoshi with the tongue out, and red incorporated in the third jersey's color scheme. Also, using his egg would be an ideal shoulder logo.

Minnesota Yoshi's

09minnesotayoshis.png

Okay... I have taken some of the advice you guys have given me and updated the Yoshi's concept I posted last week. For starters they have moved to Minnesota cause thats the first thing I think of when it comes to green and hockey. I didn't change the Home and Away too much as I liked the template. On the third I went with Red simply because a Green Yoshi would not look good on a green background. I incorporated his egg as a shoulder patch (thanks hockeyweek) and simplified the striping. I will have a brand new team posted tomorrow. As always C & C appreciated :)

now he looks exactly like the yoshi(alternate) from that game!(at least on my profile, named him NOMNOM).great work.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

now that is a fantastic set. Really, I'm floored. I hope you keep this stuff coming, because it's a great example of what good can come from taking your time with concepts, and the concepts themselves are stellar.

This guy completely scrapped his drawing to make a new drawing based on our comments and constructive criticisms! If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. This thread should be shown to all the guys who rush through their concepts and then ignore or argue with C&C. Outstanding!

I also hope you'll keep Pittsburgh in the running for future concepts, Pittsburgh Pacman has a nice ring to it...my goodness, you could even do a Steelers-esque secondary logo with the ghosts in lieu of the hypocycloids! Not to mention, Mario Bros enemies alone are enough to flesh out this league, with Goombas, Koopa Troopas, and even Bowser screaming to be logos. Keep this thing going!

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Hockey week, your comment made my day :). The ideas you have for the Pittsburgh Pacman are so good I'd almost feel like a d*ck for using them. For now here is the next concept in the series

The New York Rollers

10newyorkrollers.png

I wanted to do a concept based off the Crazy Taxi series (Dreamcast, Xbox) and thought New York would be the best fit as it was the setting for the last game (Crazy Tazi 3: High Roller) and is known for it's taxis. For the primaries I went with a simple palette of Black, White & Yellow Orange and applied an understated 90's striping pattern. For the alternate I toke a cue from the Calgary Flames Pre-Edge jerseys with the scheme and used oversized novelty dice for the crest.

As for the Calgary Marios, I've decided to go in a completely new direction for it so expect an update next week. Cheers.

Hockey week, your comment made my day :). The ideas you have for the Pittsburgh Pacman are so good I'd almost feel like a d*ck for using them. For now here is the next concept in the series

The New York Rollers

10newyorkrollers.png

I wanted to do a concept based off the Crazy Taxi series (Dreamcast, Xbox) and thought New York would be the best fit as it was the setting for the last game (Crazy Tazi 3: High Roller) and is known for it's taxis. For the primaries I went with a simple palette of Black, White & Yellow Orange and applied an understated 90's striping pattern. For the alternate I toke a cue from the Calgary Flames Pre-Edge jerseys with the scheme and used oversized novelty dice for the crest.

As for the Calgary Marios, I've decided to go in a completely new direction for it so expect an update next week. Cheers.

It's an out-there concept for a city that could use an out-there design. And taxis for New York? Perfect! I've never played the game, so I don't know the logos, but they look great.

I'm surprised that a yellow jersey with checkerboard stripes (like on the side of a cab) isn't in the lineup, but I like the novelty dice idea too much to complain. Nice work.

And please, use my idea for Pittsburgh, I know that I'm certainly never going to use it (and if I ever have the need to, here's the proof that I didn't steal the idea lol), and honestly, I'd like to see it. Keep this rolling, man, it's a great series that ought to be fully fleshed out with as much C&C as possible.

add a little red to the home and away. perfect.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Just gotta say I tried doing a similar series a few years ago, and yours is far better in execution! Excellent work, and I admire the time and effort you obviously put into each and every one of these. If you ever get to, say, Pokémon, Sonic, or Mortal Kombat you will have made my decade.

TDZiMMB.png

I'm surprised that a yellow jersey with checkerboard stripes (like on the side of a cab) isn't in the lineup, but I like the novelty dice idea too much to complain. Nice work.

I've tried doing that before but it always seemed too gimmicky. Also when you're jerseys are primarily white and yellow orange, you really need solid black lines to provide contrast. The checkerboard pattern always got lost on a yellow background.

And please, use my idea for Pittsburgh, I know that I'm certainly never going to use it (and if I ever have the need to, here's the proof that I didn't steal the idea lol), and honestly, I'd like to see it. Keep this rolling, man, it's a great series that ought to be fully fleshed out with as much C&C as possible.

Its a done deal! I will of course give you credit because I can say without question that I would have never though of that.

That's good, but I'd make the area inbetween the dice red. Also, I'm just not digging the shoulder patch design.

Considered making the third logo red but a red logo on a red jersey? Non contrasting logos are a big pet peeve of mine ^_^

Just gotta say I tried doing a similar series a few years ago, and yours is far better in execution! Excellent work, and I admire the time and effort you obviously put into each and every one of these. If you ever get to, say, Pokémon, Sonic, or Mortal Kombat you will have made my decade.

The Sonic one is on the way.

Time for the 8th entry in the series, the long awaited

Toronto Sonics

02torontosonics.png

For the Home and Away I was influenced by the Toronto Maple Leafs, going with a simple blue and white palette. I didn't want it to just be a Sonic logo on a Leafs jersey so I added the sublimated checkers reminiscent of the Sega Genesis games. The logo is a simple silhouette influenced by the Sonic Team logo but altered to reflect the modern day sonic. For the Third I went full 90's with a Cartoon Sonic and a secondary logo playing up the civic aspect.

As always C & C is appeciated. Next up will be the Marios update. Cheers :)

wow. the sonic jerseys remind me of the old predators alternates. im a fan of the third logo. do an update on the sonics jerseys by taking the preds old alts striping exactly and adding that third jersey logo and red to the set. the third should be a red jersey.

Gotta say, you missed a great opportunity with the city you used. Seattle would've been perfect! :P

In all seriousness, I like the home and away sets, but I agree that blue/white checkering would look better than the blue/navy and white/silver checkering. Also, I'm not a big fan of the Alt... It just doesn't say Sonic to me... I also think it would be cool if you made a gold/yellow alt that features Super Sonic.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The gold/yellow alt is clever. Have you thought of drawing these jerseys on separate sheets of paper so that changing a third jersey doesn't mean starting over? I mean, I'd be shaking my fists at the board if I had to redraw all of those because a third jersey, or a simple change, etc.

I also really like the sublimated checkers. I'm assuming that the gray on the whites is silver, and that would really shine and look like something Sega would dream up. Never would've remembered that silhouette, and i love it. Good decisions on those!

The third is ok. Not great, but very effective. I like the shoulder patches especially. Nice work, as always!

Archived