I need a hockey team to cheer for

BRM_PTX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright guys these are the teams I'm gonna to follow the rest of this season and hopefully I'll find one to root for for the rest of my life. I weighed all things (uniform, location, fan base, history, etc.) and I've made my decision.

Drumroll

1.121511-NHL-Nashville-Predators-PI_20111215231021347_660_320.JPG

1a. 051310-NHL-Philadelphia-Flyers-SW-PI_20100512231401_660_320.JPG

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

the SPHL is closer to the beer league hockey.

Some one doesn't watch the SPHL. Is it great hockey like was seen when talented teams visited the Thrashers? (Sorry, had to.) No, but it's not near beer league eIther. Everyone I've ever known who has been fed the propaganda ha come out quite surprised and saying the talent is way higher than expected.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Okay, TFoA. :P

Ahh shiat I forgot.

Hey, great minds think alike, amirite? :lol:

So how long have you been trying to pick between the Flyers and Preds? Also who are the best players/general outlook for both?

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

For the Flyers, Claude Giroux is performing beyond anyone's high expectations for him. What a player. Sean Couturier and James van Riemsdyk have high upside, Kimmo Timonen is a known commodity but still an elite PMD. Briere has a year or two left in him. Goaltending is suspect but such is life in Philly.

The Preds' best players are Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, but they're both expected to flee at the end of the year, especially Suter, who is an unrestricted free agent. Kevin Klein is a decent S@H, Jonathon Blum and Ryan Ellis might be good defensemen as well. Up front is a factory of fourth-line muckers with no elite talent. Pekka Rinne can be elite but isn't always, which makes him like every goaltender in the league who doesn't play for the Blackhawks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For the Flyers, Claude Giroux is performing beyond anyone's high expectations for him. What a player. Sean Couturier and James van Riemsdyk have high upside, Kimmo Timonen is a known commodity but still an elite PMD. Briere has a year or two left in him. Goaltending is suspect but such is life in Philly.

The Preds' best players are Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, but they're both expected to flee at the end of the year, especially Suter, who is an unrestricted free agent. Kevin Klein is a decent S@H, Jonathon Blum and Ryan Ellis might be good defensemen as well. Up front is a factory of fourth-line muckers with no elite talent. Pekka Rinne can be elite but isn't always, which makes him like every goaltender in the league who doesn't play for the Blackhawks.

Gratzie

I know you found your two finalists, but I'm going to suggest you watch the highlights of all teams. It just seems like you've picked two finalists based on other peoples suggestions, which is up to you, but isn't it still kind of picking a "winner" from others selections?

If you want a team to root for, like others have said it really should be completely your decision. In Baseball, I was a big Oakland A's fan, but only because I was raised an A's fan, and I started liking one of their player. He got traded to Cardinals, so I thought I should follow him there and my new team became the Cardinals. However during an interview he said that you should follow the whole team and not just one player. I took that to heart and when he retired, I could've found a new team, but I really by that point loved the Cardinals. People tell me that I since I grew up in the Bay Area I should support all bay area team, but I don't see it that way - if I did I would feel like others were telling me who to root for or against.

I am Sharks fan in hockey, it's my hometown, but I made the decision to continue to follow them, not anyone else. I like and have liked the team not just because they're my hometown team, but the organization is one of the best. The arena does a great job entertaining you and the Sharks have one of the most passionate fan-bases out there. They have some great players. In addition the USED to have the best color scheme and uniforms in the NHL. That's one of the few errors the organization has made (WE ARE NOT THE DOLPHINS)

Oh and just an FYI: Yes, Sharks fans say "WE" when we talk about the team. The team and organization encourages it because the Sharks are part of the San Jose community, and I'm a part of the community.

Though before the Sharks I was a New Jersey Devils fan because of Martin Brodeur. I also tend to root for Minnesota because of the uniforms, and now Setoguchi. I like keeping up with old Sharks. I also used to watch Mike Vernon - he was my favorite goalie. I don't like the Red Wings, but I respect them - they have some of the best players in the league. Obviously as Sharks fan, I despise the Ducks, though the most hated duck - Chris Pronger is now a Flyer so it's a little less of rivalry.

If asked me who I would want to win in a game or series between the Ducks and Red Wings, I would tell you the Red Wings, but if both teams could some how lose, I'd take that first :)

Each team in the league has some great players and history. Though if you want some teams that won't be moving any time soon, any of the Original six teams would work, San Jose would work, LA Kings would work. Nashville is probably okay. Flyers aren't going anywhere. I lived near Philly for about 6 and half years and the sports fans in Philly are extremely passionate - bordering on crazy. Eagles are by the most popular team there, and when they would lose, I'd go into work the next day and everyone would either be angry and/or depressed. They are however some of the most knowledgable sports fans and love talking sports. Just don't bring up the Cowboys, Rangers, Islanders, Penguins, Mets, Red Sox, Braves, etc.

It really depends if you're looking more for players to follow, team in general or a specific type of player. Regardless of what team you root for, in the mean time you should check out what I like to call "Hits by Crankshaft" otherwise known as Douglas Murray of the Sharks. They guy is huge and delivers some mega hits. Just google or youtube Douglas Murray hits. :)

...and Steve Mason. :P

6fQjS3M.png

I know you found your two finalists, but I'm going to suggest you watch the highlights of all teams. It just seems like you've picked two finalists based on other peoples suggestions, which is up to you, but isn't it still kind of picking a "winner" from others selections?

If you want a team to root for, like others have said it really should be completely your decision. In Baseball, I was a big Oakland A's fan, but only because I was raised an A's fan, and I started liking one of their player. He got traded to Cardinals, so I thought I should follow him there and my new team became the Cardinals. However during an interview he said that you should follow the whole team and not just one player. I took that to heart and when he retired, I could've found a new team, but I really by that point loved the Cardinals. People tell me that I since I grew up in the Bay Area I should support all bay area team, but I don't see it that way - if I did I would feel like others were telling me who to root for or against.

I am Sharks fan in hockey, it's my hometown, but I made the decision to continue to follow them, not anyone else. I like and have liked the team not just because they're my hometown team, but the organization is one of the best. The arena does a great job entertaining you and the Sharks have one of the most passionate fan-bases out there. They have some great players. In addition the USED to have the best color scheme and uniforms in the NHL. That's one of the few errors the organization has made (WE ARE NOT THE DOLPHINS)

Oh and just an FYI: Yes, Sharks fans say "WE" when we talk about the team. The team and organization encourages it because the Sharks are part of the San Jose community, and I'm a part of the community.

Though before the Sharks I was a New Jersey Devils fan because of Martin Brodeur. I also tend to root for Minnesota because of the uniforms, and now Setoguchi. I like keeping up with old Sharks. I also used to watch Mike Vernon - he was my favorite goalie. I don't like the Red Wings, but I respect them - they have some of the best players in the league. Obviously as Sharks fan, I despise the Ducks, though the most hated duck - Chris Pronger is now a Flyer so it's a little less of rivalry.

If asked me who I would want to win in a game or series between the Ducks and Red Wings, I would tell you the Red Wings, but if both teams could some how lose, I'd take that first :)

Each team in the league has some great players and history. Though if you want some teams that won't be moving any time soon, any of the Original six teams would work, San Jose would work, LA Kings would work. Nashville is probably okay. Flyers aren't going anywhere. I lived near Philly for about 6 and half years and the sports fans in Philly are extremely passionate - bordering on crazy. Eagles are by the most popular team there, and when they would lose, I'd go into work the next day and everyone would either be angry and/or depressed. They are however some of the most knowledgable sports fans and love talking sports. Just don't bring up the Cowboys, Rangers, Islanders, Penguins, Mets, Red Sox, Braves, etc.

It really depends if you're looking more for players to follow, team in general or a specific type of player. Regardless of what team you root for, in the mean time you should check out what I like to call "Hits by Crankshaft" otherwise known as Douglas Murray of the Sharks. They guy is huge and delivers some mega hits. Just google or youtube Douglas Murray hits. :)

Thank you; everyone has been so helpful. I do want to know why everyone hates the Red Wings so bad though?

BRM_PTX, if I may offer what the internet has taken to calling a "PRO TIP," I just want to let you know as well that many people do not particularly care for the New York Yankees.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived