2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Buddy is a huge Mets fan. He grew up in the area. I hope so. Curses are fun but they are more fun when broken.

Don't I know it. :)

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Also noteworthy that Mike Baxter made one helluva catch in left crashing into the wall and leaving the game. (there's usually great catch in a no-hitter, so another sign?)

AuWGFR1CIAE5i8Y.jpg

Part of the game. Happens to every team. Sorry.

Doesn't mean we can't talk about it. Still do about Jim Joyce's blown call.

AuWGFR1CIAE5i8Y.jpg

This isn't directed at anyone (just at MLB), but in this day and age I find that to be a frustrating and just plain dumb excuse. When you can get the call right without significantly interrupting the flow of the game, do it. The "human element" has only led to a blown perfect game and now this.

It is only "part of the game" because people allow it to be so.

Yeah, last night at the AAA Fresno-Sacramento game I was at last night, the umps gave the Grizzlies 4 strikes for a batter. The Cats manager argued, but to no avail. Fortunately, they struck the guy out. Still though, questionable umping happens anywhere.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

AuWGFR1CIAE5i8Y.jpg

This isn't directed at anyone (just at MLB), but in this day and age I find that to be a frustrating and just plain dumb excuse. When you can get the call right without significantly interrupting the flow of the game, do it. The "human element" has only led to a blown perfect game and now this.

I 100% agree with you, but this is baseball. The day they bring in "robot umps" is the day the NL adopts the DH. For whatever reason, MLB prides itself on quirkiness. Heck yeah it pisses fans off. But all teams eventually get screwed, so it all kinda evens out in the end.

6uXNWAo.png

AuWGFR1CIAE5i8Y.jpg

It is only "part of the game" because people allow it to be so.

Exactly! I rarely complain about the Cardinals getting screwed anymore. I do obviously talk about bad calls that hurt them more than bad calls that help them, because that's the nature of a fan. But my point is no longer to talk about them getting "screwed" It's simply to bring attention to the fact that the outcome of baseball games are being changed because of incorrect calls.

And frankly, I don't think the umpires are bad or worse than ever. I think they're pretty damn good at their jobs. But they aren't going to be perfect. Unfortunately, we now see every close play from 3 angles at frame-by-frame. So we KNOW when they blow a call.

But if we can watch all those replays, MLB can too. There's no excuse for it. There's a million different solutions, but my favorite is to stick a fifth umpire off the field watching every play. 95% of the time he won't to do anything. 2-3% of the time, he'll have to buzz down and tell them to fix a call immediately. And the other tiny little bit of time, he might have to take an extra 30-90 seconds to confirm what he saw. It will add no time to the game at all.

There's just no excuse not to be getting calls right anymore.

Now in this case, it's not about the outcome of the game, it's about the integrity of a big time achievement.

Archived