2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

If the call had gone the other way and the Cardinals got the break that led to a no-hitter last night, would either of you be as upset over the blown call as you are right now? The reason I ask is this; if the lack of replay is indeed the travesty you're making it out to be, STL, why aren't you on here every day making the same case? Calls get blown in every sport, every day. Where's the daily outrage?

I believe that I've admittedly repeatedly (on here as well as Twitter where most of my discussion takes place) that I am typically only driven to such passionate rants when it affects my squad, something which I believe is natural. But I frequently acknowledge when a call goes in the Cardinals favor and suggest it as further evidence for instant replay.

I'm a fan, and I have biases. Of course. But I'm not a hypocrite about it by any means.

Now, if something on this scale happened to the Cardinals (meaning it effected a major event as opposed to a singular game), I probably would come on here and discuss it. I'd probably rationalize and say the no-hitter is a no-hitter because that's the way the game currently is, but then I'd probably write a couple paragraphs about how I believe instant replay needs to be used.

I can't say that for sure, and some probably won't believe it, but I do believe I'd be fair about it. My passion sways depending on the perspective, but my opinion doesn't.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another pathetic Cubs loss. Why do I even bother to check the box score? Oh, and they are no longer undefeated in throwbacks, for whatever the :censored: it's worth.

6uXNWAo.png

Strike zones are judgmental in the sense that, while there's a definition to it, different guys are different sizes and have different stances. There's no defined line to go by. There is with fair/foul balls. There's a line that anyone can look at and determine without significant fail that the ball was either fair or foul.

Right, but my point is that as an impressive pitching performance goes into the late innings, the strike zone expands like Roger Clemens's ass. By the end of the Kerry Wood 20K game, he was getting everything. It's that Human Element again!

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

During today's White Sox game I caught on WGN America, Hawk spewed this gem as Seattle had the bases loaded in the 6th, I believe.

"Bags are packed with seamen... the Mariners."

And it wasn't pronounced as sea (space) men.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANAΒ | LAA | LARΒ | LAL | ASU | CSULB |Β USMNTΒ | USWNT |Β LAFCΒ | OCSC |Β MAN UTDΒ |

During today's White Sox game I caught on WGN America, Hawk spewed this gem as Seattle had the bases loaded in the 6th, I believe.

And it wasn't pronounced as sea (space) men.

He apparently said the "Sacks are packed with seamen".

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Hawk is, and has been, walking a very fine line for quite some time now. It's one thing side with the hometown crowd -- but it another when you're being an asshat while you do it. I figure it's just a matter of time now before he says the wrong thing at the wrong time (ala Steve Lyons or Al Campanis) and gets sh1tcanned by WGN.

6uXNWAo.png

Hawk is, and has been, walking a very fine line for quite some time now. It's one thing side with the hometown crowd -- but it another when you're being an asshat while you do it. I figure it's just a matter of time now before he says the wrong thing at the wrong time (ala Steve Lyons or Al Campanis) and gets sh1tcanned by WGN.

Oh whatever. I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with Hawk. You want a replacement for him? It's called watching any of the announce crews on the Fox broadcasts. Give me someone who calls a game like a fan and has passion over the Fox P.C. crap any day!

Β 

Β 

Oh whatever. I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with Hawk. You want a replacement for him? It's called watching any of the announce crews on the Fox broadcasts. Give me someone who calls a game like a fan and has passion over the Fox P.C. crap any day!

Even without the antics and the sideshow, Hawk is an absolutely brutal play-by-play man. Even take those things away, he is far and away the worst PBP man in the majors.

6uXNWAo.png

Hawk Harrelson has good pipes and bad thoughts. Same with John Sterling. His act rings hollow to me because he's a Boston guy at heart (listen to how much he rambles about longtime-never-a-White-Sock Carl Yastrzemski), and had been a homer for hire with a few other teams before settling in with the White Sox. It's the same as Harry Caray being the "voice of the Cubs" after having been the voice of the Cardinals longer and better. Plus, it's kind of weird that the voice of the White Sox has such a southern drawl. Ed Farmer is terrible at his job, but at least he sounds like a south side jerkass, seeing as he is.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Hawk Harrelson has good pipes and bad thoughts. Same with John Sterling. His act rings hollow to me because he's a Boston guy at heart (listen to how much he rambles about longtime-never-a-White-Sock Carl Yastrzemski), and had been a homer for hire with a few other teams before settling in with the White Sox. It's the same as Harry Caray being the "voice of the Cubs" after having been the voice of the Cardinals longer and better. Plus, it's kind of weird that the voice of the White Sox has such a southern drawl. Ed Farmer is terrible at his job, but at least he sounds like a south side jerkass, seeing as he is.

That's about the only nice thing you can say about Farmer, at least he's got a semblance of a local dialect.

Hawk is to the White Sox as Jim Ross is to Steve Austin, with the officials playing the role of Mr. McMahon. This sounds like it would be a good thing but considering it's baseball and not pro wrestling, it's not effective so much as obnoxious and tiresome.

Unless you're a Sox fan.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Hawk is to the White Sox as Jim Ross is to Steve Austin, with the officials playing the role of Mr. McMahon. This sounds like it would be a good thing but considering it's baseball and not pro wrestling, it's not effective so much as obnoxious and tiresome.

Unless you're a Sox fan.

I actually enjoy watching games announced by Hawk. He brings a lot of charisma and I like it when announcers sort of root for the home team.

For example, it seems like everyone is on Gary Thorne's nuts about his hockey announcing, but I think he is pretty bad as an O's announcer. Why? Because he is too impartial and business-like. I've never really heard him "lean" towards to O's. That is good for a national broadcast, but not when you are a "team's" announcer.

I'd take an announcer like Hawk over an announcer like Thorne any day. Watching a game announced by Hawk actually makes me want to root for the Sox because you feel like you are watching the game with him. Watching a game announced by Gary Thorne puts me to sleep.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Unless you're a Sox fan.

I actually enjoy watching games announced by Hawk. He brings a lot of charisma and I like it when announcers sort of root for the home team.

For example, it seems like everyone is on Gary Thorne's nuts about his hockey announcing, but I think he is pretty bad as an O's announcer. Why? Because he is too impartial and business-like. I've never really heard him "lean" towards to O's. That is good for a national broadcast, but not when you are a "team's" announcer.

I'd take an announcer like Hawk over an announcer like Thorne any day. Watching a game announced by Hawk actually makes me want to root for the Sox because you feel like you are watching the game with him. Watching a game announced by Gary Thorne puts me to sleep.

I'm the exact opposite from you.

1zqy8ok.gif

Hawk is absolutely terrible. I find his voice grating, his homerism unsufferable and then there's the fact that he's actually kind of rubbish at simple commentary.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

IMO, people who don't want (expanded) replay have no right to be complaining about the fair/foul call on that ball hit by Beltran. And also, IMO, it doesn't taint the no-no. I'm sure there was another no-no with a blown call, I don't see them with asterisks.

But the difference is those weren't a personal attack on the great St. Louis Cardinals organization and their wonderful fans.

PvO6ZWJ.png

IMO, people who don't want (expanded) replay have no right to be complaining about the fair/foul call on that ball hit by Beltran. And also, IMO, it doesn't taint the no-no. I'm sure there was another no-no with a blown call, I don't see them with asterisks.

But the difference is those weren't a personal attack on the great St. Louis Cardinals organization and their wonderful fans.

Grow up dude. It's getting ridiculous.

I"m biased and upfront about it, but nobody here can deny that I brought up a legitimate discussion point. All you ever do is respond with bitching and moaning about the Cardinals and their fans. You're up a few games for now, why don't you just go and enjoy that?

Meanwhile, dare I point out that nobody even bothered to engage in a real discussion about how instant replay could be instituted? Many here seem to prefer one or two-liners of absolute "hilarity" over any discussion of substance.

Additionally, I frankly never asked for an asterisk. I'm not a big fan of those. The event happened (even if it didn't), so I wouldn't pretend to change it now. I never once argued the no-hitter shouldn't stand as the rules currently exist. I used it as a jumping off point for a discussion about instant replay.

Save instant replay for plays that result in a run being scored.

Baseball's already being slowed down enough by batters that need to re-adjust batting gloves after every pitch and pitchers that take too long to throw pitches. It doesn't need to be further slowed by allowing instant replay on every single play. You're going to chase away fans that don't have over 3 hours to kill watching a baseball game.

Archived