2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Might as well go into my Buck critique considering I haven't chimed in on him yet.

I don't mind him for baseball. Football's what gripes me about him. At the very least Buck's got an appreciation of baseball, especially via his late father, and he's tolerable calling MLB games. As stated earlier, he's better at calling big moments in baseball compared to some of his counterparts by getting his two cents in and then letting the moment play out (for instance, Game 6 of the World Series last year). The issue with him is having McCarver with him and.. basically everything else on Fox's production end. I still prefer Costas to him but he's not that bad for baseball... him being the lead NFL announcer just irks me the wrong way as it does for many other people.

Bingo. I don't mind Joe Buck in the least bit when it comes to baseball. Hell, I'd go as far as to say that he's perfect for baseball. His football calls are the absolute worst. Maybe he feels the exact opposite, but his voice conveys the feeling that he'd rather be a million places in the world other than in a football stadium with 70,000+ fans calling an NFL game. I bet if Buck stuck to baseball, he wouldn't get nearly as much guff from the fans as he does.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madison is a pleasant place to spend a day. Jefferson City is a long road with chain restaurants and two Wal-Mart Supercenters. That's seriously all it is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Madison is a pleasant place to spend a day. Jefferson City is a long road with chain restaurants and two Wal-Mart Supercenters. That's seriously all it is.

They should have an adult video store and gun store too. As well as the odd paired "GOD IS JUDGING YOU" and "XXX SEXY HOTLINE" billboards.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I can't vouch for the towns or the people, but much of the landscape of Missouri is gorgeous. I think the nature/wildlife in Missouri is extremely underrated. Big rivers, little rivers & streams, lakes, little hills, big hills (once and still technically mountains), plains, forests, farmland. Missouri's a really beautiful state with a little of everything (save of course for an ocean beach).

All of that said, I'm not sitting here claiming I'd like to live in all or any of the towns that make up the areas that aren't St. Louis, Kansas City, or perhaps even Columbia.

My time in central Illinois (though, I do love Champaign-Urbana very much) made me greatly appreciate the beautiful landscapes of Missouri.

Oh, I loved the terrain. The outcroppings are really cool and the hills are great for running. It was just bad when your nearest city of consequence was 20 miles away and the best thing you could say about it was that it had three Chinese buffets on the same road. And I went to all three!

They should have an adult video store and gun store too. As well as the odd paired "GOD IS JUDGING YOU" and "XXX SEXY HOTLINE" billboards.

I never got past how Lake-of-the-Ozarks was supposed to be this big floating bacchanalia while at the same time their Long Road Full Of Stuff had a whole bunch of Baptist churches. Truly Missouri is a microcosm of America.

I can't vouch for the towns or the people, but much of the landscape of Missouri is gorgeous. I think the nature/wildlife in Missouri is extremely underrated. Big rivers, little rivers & streams, lakes, little hills, big hills (once and still technically mountains), plains, forests, farmland. Missouri's a really beautiful state with a little of everything (save of course for an ocean beach).

All of that said, I'm not sitting here claiming I'd like to live in all or any of the towns that make up the areas that aren't St. Louis, Kansas City, or perhaps even Columbia.

As one who's driven through, picked up from, and delivered to every part of that state, yeah...if it ain't the Lou or KC, y'all can have that s#!t. (I'm not gonna go into details here, though...just know y'all can have it.)

My time in central Illinois (though, I do love Champaign-Urbana very much) made me greatly appreciate the beautiful landscapes of Missouri.

That's because ain't no landscape to speak of in central?or any other part?of Illinois. ;) Or Indiana. Or Iowa. Or Wisconsin. Or?kinda get where I'm going with this?

(Also...this may be the first time ever in life that anyone had gone on record as "loving" Champaign/Urbana. What'd they intoxicate you with, Justin? :P )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I guess I just don't get the hate over his championship calls. To me he gets out of the way. Some announcers make themselves part of the moment, he backs off and lets the moment be the moment. Don't know why that's such a bad thing.

I don't think Joe Buck is as bad as people say either.

I really like Bob Costas on baseball broadcasts, but I think his call of the Braves championship in 95 is one of the worst.

"and the team of the 90's has their world championship".

Hold on, Bob. It was 1995 and only the 5th World Series of that decade. At that point the Blue Jays were the "team of the 90's" and the Yankees went on to win 3 World Series in that decade after 95, which makes Costas' declaration feel even more silly and outdated looking back on it. The Braves in 1995 were just a good team that lost their first two World Series.

It would be like if the Texas Rangers end up winning the world Series this year and the game ends with "and the team of whatever this decade is has their world championship".

Joe Buck has never ended a season with anything that hammy.

Add me to the list of people who think Joe Buck isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. In fact, I think he does a pretty good job most of the time. I like that he doesn't go for the typical "gee, I hope this ends up being played forever because I'm screaming like a lunatic" call. Good for him.

BB52Big.jpg

I like Buck as well, as a baseball guy, he calls a good game, is understated but not, IMO, boring & doesn't have an overreliance on cliche; on football he's alright, far from the train wreck some make out he is but by no means terrible.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The reason Joe Buck sounds like he doesn't LIKE calling baseball?

BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LIKE BASEBALL.

He sure didn't say that.

He said there's not as much meaning to an individual baseball game as a football, and a weekly national broadcast isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. He also said he doesn't immerse himself in watching sports all through the week.

The reason Joe Buck sounds like he doesn't LIKE calling baseball?

BECAUSE HE DOESN'T LIKE BASEBALL.

He sure didn't say that.

He said there's not as much meaning to an individual baseball game as a football, and a weekly national broadcast isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. He also said he doesn't immerse himself in watching sports all through the week.

and he was getting sucked into Colin Cowherd's douchebag aura. In that interview, Cowherd, an ESPN employee, basically says he only watches the Red Sox and Yankees.

I hate Colin Cowherd.

PvO6ZWJ.png

and he was getting sucked into Colin Cowherd's douchebag aura. In that interview, Cowherd, an ESPN employee, basically says he only watches the Red Sox and Yankees.

I hate Colin Cowherd.

That's par for the course with ESPN. I will never forget John Kruk admitting on air before the 2007 World Series "You know, I don't really know much about the Rockies". That would be bad enough during the regular season, but they had just played two rounds of playoff games for him to judge them by.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's because ain't no landscape to speak of in central?or any other part?of Illinois. ;) Or Indiana. Or Iowa. Or Wisconsin. Or?kinda get where I'm going with this?

Western Illinois, out by Galena, is nice and hilly. It's mountainous for those of us who grew up near a city named "Mount Prospect" which, ironically, is utterly flat. And Wisconsin has forests and lakes and such. No comparison to the great soybean desert of central Illinois.

Florida is a sham. Beautiful by the coast or any waterway. I am very thankful I live on an island. However, outside the coast is nothing but flatland filled with swamps or pine trees. Some hills in central Florida, and some fun springs spread out, but nothing special.

Archived