"Fighting Sioux" gets a fighting chance

AndrewPF

Actually it does work because you'd need all Sioux tribes to allow use of their name. If even one Sioux tribe doesn't allow it, whether because they don't want to, or because they don't vote, then the name shouldn't be used.

And this is where it gets hairy. Spirit Lake already approves, and the tribal leaders of Standing Rock disapprove. The issue with many is that if Standing Rock had a vote, like Spirit Lake, that they'd also vote in a similar manner, which is almost 3 out of 4 people in favor of the nickname.

Spirit Lake is currently suing the NCAA over the Sioux the nickname, which is kind of ironic if you ask me. :)

And, again, you know this as a fact? If so, I'd like to know how.

The number came from the Spirit Lake vote. I didn't say that Standing Rock would for sure vote the same, but all indications are that they would...if given the chance. I live near Standing Rock, so I'd say I have a pretty decent gauge on things.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it does work because you'd need all Sioux tribes to allow use of their name. If even one Sioux tribe doesn't allow it, whether because they don't want to, or because they don't vote, then the name shouldn't be used.

All Sioux tribes? There are many Sioux tribes, but the NCAA hasn't demanded all of them OK use of the Fighting Sioux name?

Should the Oglala tribe have a say? The Oglala tribe is mostly in southwestern South Dakota and western Nebraska, but they don't have a say on this issue.

What bout the Wahpeton Sisseton Oyate? Heck, part of the Lake Traverse Reservation, which covers the Wahpeton Sisseton Oyate, is in North Dakota, but the Wahpeton Sisseton Oyate don't have a say.

No offense, but I have a feeling a lot of people in here have no true feeling for this issue and are using it to get their points across without understanding the people of North Dakota or the people of the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock tribes.

To those people, I say come on out here. Visit North Dakota. Enjoy the prettiest sunsets you'd ever see. Discover the Spirit Lake tribe and nearby Devils Lake. Discover the Standing Rock tribe and the Oahe Reservoir of the Missouri River. Discover the whole state and its people. Oh, and please spend some money, too. ^_^

If EA Sports puts Eli Manning on the cover of Madden without his permission, they are wrong because Manning did not agree to offer his likeness to be put into use. If UND wants to use the Sioux tribe name without their permission, they are wrong because the Sioux did not agree to offer his likeness to be put into use.

There. Is that a good enough correlation, for those who think still think Fighting Sioux should be the name for UND's athletics?

Sorry, your Manning example illustrates an individual's right of publicity--i.e., the right to control the commercial use of one's name or likeness. The Sioux as a group have no more legal right to publicity than the Irish or the Hoosiers do.

You're missing the point. In the above, hypothetical example, yes, all the people involved, in this case, one individual, are controlling how their likeness is used. As far as the Sioux go, all the people involved, in this case, any tribe using the Sioux name, are not controlling how their likeness is used, and as a result, the Sioux name should not be used until all tribes that claim the Sioux name are in agreement that UND can use the name.

There's no precedent for what you're talking about. Individuals have a say over how their likeness is used, groups, largely do not. It's not a valid comparison.

• 1 month later...

Not that this is surprising, but UND will be wearing new non-Sioux jerseys for the NCAA tournament this weekend (to keep compliant with NCAA rules) while still calling themselves the "Fighting Sioux" (to keep compliant with state law).

It?s their name but they dare not say it -- Grand Forks Herald

I'm really looking forward to what they have planned. My guess is they'll use the interlocking ND on the front and the state logo on the shoulders with the existing striping pattern. Seems like a reasonable design, no?

qvAvG.jpg

Not that this is surprising, but UND will be wearing new non-Sioux jerseys for the NCAA tournament this weekend (to keep compliant with NCAA rules) while still calling themselves the "Fighting Sioux" (to keep compliant with state law).

I'm really looking forward to what they have planned. My guess is they'll use the interlocking ND on the front and the state logo on the shoulders with the existing striping pattern. Seems like a reasonable design, no?

My guess is they will more likely resemble what the UND women's hockey team has been wearing lately:

PSPRRGBZOOONXTI.20120226021933.jpg

My guess is they will more likely resemble what the UND women's hockey team has been wearing lately:

PSPRRGBZOOONXTI.20120226021933.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the circle logo, so personally I hope they don't do exactly that. But, I guess we'll see in a few days! Or perhaps sooner than that.. we know how the internet works.

qvAvG.jpg

When this is over there are some great names to be had: Pioneers, Rough Riders, Trappers, Flyers, Conductors/Engineers, Bighorn, Moose, ect.

I will say that Pioneers is not an option. One of the hockey team's biggest rivals and conference affiliate is the Pioneers. I know many schools have the same nicknames as others, but I don't believe there is even a slight chance as that being a possibility.

The problem with finding a good nickname for the University is, the majority of the fans want something that is completely unique (people will say no if they find some semi-pro baseball team in New Mexico that has that nickname), fierce, and has ties with the state of North Dakota. That shrinks the list to almost nothing as most good nicknames are already in use, and no one really wants to try anything that is too unique (take the Tar Heels for example...it sounds normal to us because it's all we've known, but if that came up as an option today, I think most people would chuckle and disregard it as an option).

I personally don't care for the nickname Rough Riders, but I know it's a fan favorite among many, so if there is a leading choice, it's probably that. But, what do you do for a logo that would look unique and not scream cheesy? I'm not saying it can't be done, but the unique factor stands in the way, I believe.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Just as long as it's better than these that they had to wear after the "Blackhawk" logo and before the geometric head:

img_4074-1.jpg.w300h400.jpg

I hope so, those were mildly boring.

This is what I hope they do; I just threw this together quickly, but I think they can pull this off:

undnorthdakota.jpg

qvAvG.jpg

For a possible new nickname, my favorite is Roughriders. Or Rough Riders. North Dakota likes to label itself as Roughrider Country. The state hall of fame is called the Rough Rider Hall of Fame. It's a natural fit. Problem is, Grand Forks Red River High School is already called the Roughriders.

I also like Fighting Norse or something similar. It would be great with all these Norwegians here who happen to be proud of OUR heritage. I think even the Germans would like that. But would you want to go from one cultural name to another?

I also like Rattlers. Western North Dakota is loaded with Rattlesnakes. But would that work in university located in the eastern part of the state?

How about Sodbusters, or something similarly agrarian? Nahhh. Agrarian belongs to North Dakota State, and that wouldn't do in Grand Forks.

Lots of possibilities. But when it comes down to it, the ideal name is ... Fighting Sioux.

The new duds are under lock and key right now and this is all that is known to the general public right now:

"They have them in white, green and black, but I believe only the white jerseys will be going to St. Paul, as the Sioux are the top seed. The jerseys are simple, classic, throwback style and they say North Dakota on them."

---Brad Schlossman, UND Hockey Beat Writer from the GF Herald

From everything I've heard, it seems that it's a complete redesign from the jerseys they've used all season. I thought they'd maybe go with just a logo swap to the following look:

1112concept.png

Here is a concept I made up as a future home alternate. It wouldn't be the primary home jerseys, but it has a historic vibe that fits in with the Sioux tradition that has lived on for decades.

EDGE_vintage_alt.png

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

On 3/23/2012 at 11:18 AM, gosioux76 said:
On 3/23/2012 at 8:40 AM, chriscj83 said:

From the Grand Forks Herald: New North Dakota Jerseys

That's really uninspiring.

Perhaps that was the goal.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived