North American League 2012 logos/uniforms

bosrs1

Looks like we have the first few logos for the upcoming North American League season (which surprisingly will be played despite the turmoil the league ended with last year).

San Rafael - First up is the new team in the Northern part of the Bay Area, the San Rafael Pacifics

san_rafael_pacifics_500x400_3.jpg

Yuma - Next up is the former Yuma Scorpions who are changing their name to Yuma Panthers. The Panthers being a homage to the city's 1950's SW International minor league team. While the team name may have history, it's odd to find their new logo does too, albeit as the logo of Penn State University...

penn-state-and-yuma-panthers-logos.jpg

Yuma Panthers new logo on the right, and the Penn State logo it so obviously rips off on the left. I would be shocked if this logo survives until opening day later in the year.

Abilene - Lastly we have the Abilene Prairie Dogs. Another older name last used in the 90's in the Texas-Louisiana League. Their logo is below.

abilene-prairie-dogs-logo.gif

Mmm i think you are right about those Panther logos, tho one is facing in an opposite direction to the other and one also has an eye closed when the other does not.

Someone grab me a mirror so i can check it out....

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Mmm i think you are right about those Panther logos, tho one is facing in an opposite direction to the other and one also has an eye closed when the other does not.

Someone grab me a mirror so i can check it out....

I don't think the eye is closed, its shading is just simpler on the Yuma logo so it appears closed. It's the same logo just reversed. They'll be getting a cease and desist from PSU undoubtedly by the end of the month, which will be fine. Gives us another logo to critique.

Maybe the Panthers got the hint. The just put a page up on their soon to be website and it's featuring a new, more amateur logo. But it's also different enough that it'll probably be ok copyright wise (until someone figures out who they stole it from and covered over their wordmark and typed in "Panthers")

logo.jpg

That new wordmark is extraordinary.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe the Panthers got the hint. The just put a page up on their soon to be website and it's featuring a new, more amateur logo. But it's also different enough that it'll probably be ok copyright wise.

logo.jpg

Not at all. Obviously somebody just played with the stolen logo in Illustrator, probably believing the old "change somebody else's logo __% and it magically becomes yours" canard.

And slapping a quick text tool word over the outline of the old word mark is just baffling.

Maybe the Panthers got the hint. The just put a page up on their soon to be website and it's featuring a new, more amateur logo. But it's also different enough that it'll probably be ok copyright wise.

logo.jpg

Not at all. Obviously somebody just played with the stolen logo in Illustrator, probably believing the old "change somebody else's logo __% and it magically becomes yours" canard.

And slapping a quick text tool word over the outline of the old word mark is just baffling.

Ah didn't notice that they just covered over their own wordmark. That's just odd. At this point they should just cut their losses and go back to the Scorpions. At least the old logo was theirs and was relatively unique (and voted on by the fans as their chosen name).

Yuma_Scorpions_Main_Logo.png

Ah didn't notice that they just covered over their own wordmark. That's just odd. At this point they should just cut their losses and go back to the Scorpions. At least the old logo was theirs and was relatively unique (and voted on by the fans as their chosen name).

Yuma_Scorpions_Main_Logo.png

And mascot logos with equipment are much cooler. I love that little guy!

Most the Golden Baseball League logos were better than many higher-up leagues--even St. George's would've been nice with a few tweaks and touch-ups:

ar124725135408333.png

Panthers have now released their third version of their new logo. This one combines elements of logo 1 and logo 2 to make...

PANTHERS_eSignature_Logo.jpg

Still think they're asking for copyright issues, but at least it's not blatant anymore and might just go unnoticed by Penn State. Real issue is that it no longer has the city name and it looks like a high school logo now in stark contrast to say San Rafael.

Well the Texas (Southern) Division will definitely be playing. But it's a big question now if the Northern Division with only Yuma, Maui and San Rafael will play a game this year. Particularly given the travel costs to Maui for the lower 48 teams. They really need Fullerton and/or Chico to come through on their return(s).

Panthers have now released their third version of their new logo. This one combines elements of logo 1 and logo 2 to make...

Still think they're asking for copyright issues, but at least it's not blatant anymore and might just go unnoticed by Penn State. Real issue is that it no longer has the city name and it looks like a high school logo now in stark contrast to say San Rafael.

That's the same stolen panther logo, with a revised wordmark.

logo.jpg

Still has the same theft issues.

That's the same stolen panther logo, with a revised wordmark.

logo.jpg

Still has the same theft issues.

True. Given the totality of the circumstances they'd likely find it still a copyright violation as I said above. However had they just started with this latest version of the logo they might have gotten away with it. Unfortunately they left a nice trail of copying as you point out above. Not that it will matter. It's not looking like the NAL's north division that Yuma is currently in will be playing this year.

Well the Texas (Southern) Division will definitely be playing. But it's a big question now if the Northern Division with only Yuma, Maui and San Rafael will play a game this year. Particularly given the travel costs to Maui for the lower 48 teams. They really need Fullerton and/or Chico to come through on their return(s).

Maui didn't even finish out the season last year. They're a team in theory only.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maui didn't even finish out the season last year. They're a team in theory only.

Well to be fair they didn't finish the season because it was a home and home series against the Lake County team which we all know was VERY troubled financially and legally and had already refused to fly to Maui. I wouldn't have returned the favor either. And they did just sign a new 3 year radio deal. So they are a functioning entity. All 3, Maui, San Rafael and Yuma are. Problem is that 3 teams doesn't make much of a division.

So roll them all into one division and go with split season champions.

Problem is the Texas teams don't want that. Yuma was in the "south division" last year but they never played the Texas teams. Their division mates refused to ever travel to Yuma. I don't see that changing if you add two more disparate teams to the mix, particularly with VERY expensive to visit Maui.

Archived