Chicago Bears GSH?

Nintendogmaster

I had been hoping for a while that the Bears would move the numbers to the shoulders. I'll gladly sacrifice having both the numbers and stripes on the sleeve for being able to fit all three stripes on the sleeve. It looks weird to me that the jersey Urlacher is wearing shows all three stripes and that's just not how it should be.

The stripes are a bit too high up on the sleeve, there definitely is room for them to be lowered a smidge...

There's maybe 2 inches of blue below the third stripe. It looks perfectly fine to me.

I had been hoping for a while that the Bears would move the numbers to the shoulders. I'll gladly sacrifice having both the numbers and stripes on the sleeve for being able to fit all three stripes on the sleeve. It looks weird to me that the jersey Urlacher is wearing shows all three stripes and that's just not how it should be.

looking at the the 80's pic I'd much rather have the numbers on the sleeves and have the players tailor their sleeves like they did back in the day than have the numbers on the shoulders...I think the numbers on the shoulders looks way too generic and template driven and I think the empty shoulders is a superior look...to that degree I'd sacrifice the tv numbers for the sake of preserving the bare shoulders.

You're not going to see long sleeves anymore, it's just not going to happen. Teams have to work their designs with the limited sleeve space that they have and I think putting the numbers on the shoulders so all the stripes are visible is the right way to do that. And even if jerseys had long sleeves, players would tuck them into the shoulder pads so that they were gone. Just look at Jim McMahon in that picture, you can't see any of the stripes on his jersey.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The TV numbers moving to the shoulder and the stripes not going all the way around didn't bug me when I first saw them but they're really bothering me now.

The Bears have generally had the same look at home since the 1950s and now this just because a new supplier has some high-tech template that can't accomodate them.

The Bears really should have done what the Packers did and told Nike to take a hike.

(I don't want anybody to think I'm a uniform Luddite like Paul Lukas. I'm all for uni progress but certain uniforms shouldn't be messed with. The Bears' home jersey was not only historic but well-designed and aging well. Want to screw with the Seahawks or Jaguars? Fine by me. Want to tweak imperfect but historic sets like the Cowboys or Giants or even the Bears' roads? Go for it.

But don't touch the Bears' home jersey.)

The Bears players / equipment staff have been the worst offenders of this, not Reebok or Nike. Elasticizing the third stripe is okay, but obfuscating the GSH kind of bothered me.

I think that the Bears, along with the Chiefs, were the real winners in making steps towards a system that accommodates technology while maintaining tradition.

8596484610_3a38500074.jpg

The TV numbers moving to the shoulder and the stripes not going all the way around didn't bug me when I first saw them but they're really bothering me now.

I'm just the opposite...I so hated the idea of changing anything on that jersey, until I stopped to realize that the way it's (the sleeve stripes, TV numbers, and GSH logo) been looking for the last decade has been plain crummy. We're getting a return to thicker stripes, and a more legible "GSH"....

They did what they had to in order to not only keep, but enhance, all the classic elements.

I thought I had discovered that the ?GSH? letters had moved from the right sleeve to the left?

6897285796_edb1cbbc0b_o.png

and was alerted that this had already happened....

urlacher.jpg

but now I'm seeing it was on the left sleeve way back in the day...

nfl_nu03.jpg

So what's the deal with the top photo of Urlacher having it on his right sleeve?

This series of photos really shows how much better the new uni works. We discussed it a bit in last season's NFL megathread, but that third stripe had been relegated to the cuff on many jerseys and the GSH didn't even come near it because of a two inch gap between the 2nd and 3rd stripe. Because that orange was placed on different material, it sometimes even looked pink, or at least a different shade of orange. It's much better to have extra space at the bottom and return the true three-stripe pattern to prominence. Having numbers on the shoulder will be as forgotten a shift as the shorter sleeves in no time. (Love that 80s pic... but even McMahon had started the disappearing sleeve trend back then.)

And I forgot the Chiefs did something similar. Underrated, but significant and successful moves by those two.

I wonder if it would feel like less of a change and more of a concession to the physical realities of game jerseys if the numbers on the fan jerseys stayed on the sleeves.

I know for me, Bears uniforms have that linear numbers above stripes relationship, almost like they're a single element of the uniform. As sleeves have disappeared I've thought the numbers had to eventually go up to the shoulders, but my mind wants that familiarity of the relationship between the numbers above stripes maintained. When I see the fan jersey, it's that something I had thought of as almost a single element turned into separate elements, the relationship between the two is severed. It throws me off.

I wonder if it would feel like less of a change and more of a concession to the physical realities of game jerseys if the numbers on the fan jerseys stayed on the sleeves.

I know for me, Bears uniforms have that linear numbers above stripes relationship, almost like they're a single element of the uniform. As sleeves have disappeared I've thought the numbers had to eventually go up to the shoulders, but my mind wants that familiarity of the relationship between the numbers above stripes maintained. When I see the fan jersey, it's that something I had thought of as almost a single element turned into separate elements, the relationship between the two is severed. It throws me off.

Another solution would be to put the numbers right above the new stripes, at the curvature of the shoulder....but that would necessitate relocation of the Nike swoosh.

Maybe it's time the GSH became a patch worn on the chest instead of on a shrinking sleeve?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived