Gehrig27's MLB tweaks/concepts

Gehrig27

Love that you brought back the gold halo, props for that. Normally I am against adding more navy to a team, just because the MLB has too much navy-red, but I think this works. The navy alt looks really good, and so does the sleeve trim on the primaries. My only complaint is minor and subjective, but for your primary logo, I would delete the baseball and outer roundel and just use the California silhouette with the A, but blow up California a little behind it. My reason for this suggestion is that baseball just has so many circular logos, but there isn't anything wrong with your logo by itself. That suggestion as I said is pretty subjective so decide for yourself whether you want to try that or not. Really nice concept.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this update to the Angels' set. They really need to bring back the navy-crowned cap and the gold halo. The sleeve patch looks nice, and I really like the touch of gold to the primary logo. The one thing I would change would be to have the road say "Anaheim".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I love this update to the Angels' set. They really need to bring back the navy-crowned cap and the gold halo. The sleeve patch looks nice, and I really like the touch of gold to the primary logo. The one thing I would change would be to have the road say "Anaheim".

They're not the "Anaheim Angels", so the roads wouldn't say "Anaheim". If anything, they'd say "Los Angeles".

They're not the "Anaheim Angels", so the roads wouldn't say "Anaheim". If anything, they'd say "Los Angeles".

Well, he never specified what he named them, and it would make sense to go back to "Anaheim Angels" because after all, they still play in Anaheim.

I did leave the city name ambiguous just because the Angels have a longer history of just having the team name on the away unis. Plus the whole LA/California/Anaheim/LAA of Anaheim debate seems to get quite heated, and I didn't want to open up that can of worms :P. I personally prefer Anaheim Angels...always thought it sounded sharp with the alliteration.

Anyway, ask and ye shall recieve:

Angels2.png

Texas Rangers:

Red is more intimidating than blue for the Rangers (especially with their explosive lineup.) current number font is used because it matches the rest of the look (only now its not cluttered!) When I think of a Texas Ranger my mind goes right to a vest and a shiny badge, so I added two vest alternates and based the primary off of an actual Texas Ranger badge. Still doesn't look right to me - I would have been happy just using their alternate logo but I thought I'd start from scratch once I saw that real badge.

Rangers.png

I love the new vest alternates, especially the home alt with the T logo. The logo is fine since since it is based on an actual badge, more authentic that way. I do like the use of red as the main color, but the set needs more blue IMO because of the Texas flag featured prominently in their branding. Try a blue alternate jersey and/or cap just to increase the amount of blue. Other than that, really solid job especially on the new alternates.

Cohenj.png

Great job with the Rangers. However, as mentioned above, you should try to incorporate a some more blue into the set. Also, for the home alternate, put the numbers as high as the chest logo like the Reds do. It looks a lot better when teams do that IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Back with the St. Louis Cardinals.

Updated the old swinging cardinal primary and tried a modern take on the classic 40's uniforms without going full super-thick piping and racing stripes. Added the obligatory St. Louis wordmark to the aways and also cleaned up the "intimidating Cardinal" as an alternate logo (dream at-bat: intimidating Cardinal pitching to the angry Oriole B) .)

Cardinals.png

Looks really solid overall, the stirrups look pretty awesome with this set. I like the harkening back to the older Cardinals uniforms. The only thing I would do is try making the L in the St. louis script curl over the bat like the S to make it more consistent. Really nice job overall.

Cohenj.png

That's a good-looking primary logo. God job blending the new and old ones.

I agree with cohenj abut the "St. Louis" script. It would look best if the top of the "L" curled over the bat like the "C" in Cardinals".

The 'L' does NOT look good stretched up and hooking over the bat. Other members have done it numerous times and it looks terrible. On this concept, I used to think I'd like piping added, but now I know they look better in the plain look. The birds-on-the-bat are enough to make the uniform look great without any other bells and whistles.

I did leave the city name ambiguous just because the Angels have a longer history of just having the team name on the away unis. Plus the whole LA/California/Anaheim/LAA of Anaheim debate seems to get quite heated, and I didn't want to open up that can of worms :P. I personally prefer Anaheim Angels...always thought it sounded sharp with the alliteration.

Anyway, ask and ye shall recieve:

Angels2.png

YES!! :shocked:

bSLCtu2.png

St. Louis looks great, but I'd drop the placket piping. There's a little too much going on in the middle of the uniform with the birds on bat and script there already. The sleeve and pants piping are fine, however.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

With the Oakland set I like the consistency with piping on all the unis and use of one cap, but getting rid of "A's" logo is a punishable offense. :P

Hahaha...Yeah, I wasn't sure how that would be taken on here :D

Here's the Red Sox. Went back to the old piping style that lasted through the 60's, made the cap "B" match the wordmark, and went a little "out there" with an alternate based on the old Cy Young uniforms. I also kept the aways navy but added red outlines and red piping. I know management switched to red undershirts at home in order to emphasize the red in RED Sox, but I feel with a navy cap and traditional stirrups with the upper portion being navy, theres more balance having navy undershirts at home - while keeping it a little more colorful with red undershirts on the road as I've kinda grown fond of that look the past couple years.

RedSox.png

Great job overall, in particular the road version is great, its exactly what they need to do to update the boring roadies they have now but keeps their intention of being more blue on road.

With the Oakland set I like the consistency with piping on all the unis and use of one cap, but getting rid of "A's" logo is a punishable offense. :P

Hahaha...Yeah, I wasn't sure how that would be taken on here :D

Here's the Red Sox. Went back to the old piping style that lasted through the 60's, made the cap "B" match the wordmark, and went a little "out there" with an alternate based on the old Cy Young uniforms. I also kept the aways navy but added red outlines and red piping. I know management switched to red undershirts at home in order to emphasize the red in RED Sox, but I feel with a navy cap and traditional stirrups with the upper portion being navy, theres more balance having navy undershirts at home - while keeping it a little more colorful with red undershirts on the road as I've kinda grown fond of that look the past couple years.

RedSox.png

Great job overall, in particular the road version is great, its exactly what they need to do to update the boring roadies they have now but keeps their intention of being more blue on road.

The jersey B does NOT work on the cap. You gotta realize how something looks when combined with other letters and how it looks by itself prominently displayed on the front of a cap. That's why the cap B is more "refined" than the jersey one. It's the same with the Rangers's T. Too many here think the lettering should match exactly between jersey and cap, paying no mind to how each is respectively displayed.

Archived