Mariners teal bill caps

Funny you should say that, I was thinking that exact same thing earlier today. A silver bill would be the perfect addition to the spring training/BP uni. As sad as I was to see the BP teal bill go, I admit it looked awkward with the jersey, which has almost no teal.

Not sure I agree with the 5950 idea though. The 3930s are perfect for spring training/BP IMO, much better than the old mesh-style 5950s. The one thing they could do to improve the current 3930s would be to remove that stupid piping. The M's were one of the few smart teams to not choose a contrasting piping color.

I currently wear my teal bill BP cap to work everyday, but with the dust and grime my job involves, it's getting dirty quickly. Gonna be time to freshen up the identity pretty soon. Long

live the teal!

-Mojo

I have 2 3930s, the teal bill hat and the one with the silver side panels. I just don't like the way they feel on my head. The 5950 style is far more comfortable. I think it would be neat if teams had an alternate style 5950 for their ST caps. Weird, I know. ^_^

I hope your BP cap isn't too bad of shape. It's a thing of beauty, if uncomfortable. :lol: Long live the teal also. :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the M's website just now, the teal bill cap is featured somewhat prominently on the side of the page with other merchandise. Its popularity really seems to be growing among the fans. Hopefully this movement is starting to take root!

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I found out earlier today that my cousin, a fellow Mariners fan, wants to support my crusade to bring back the teal bill full-time. We started to throw out some slogan ideas to give more substance to this movement and one that seemed to stick out was "Feel the teal." This is because I believe that the color teal has a distinct Pacific northwest feel to it and thus it should become a unique symbol of team pride. To anybody with any sort of experience in marketing, etc., does this sound like a solid idea? Or would some simple signage and face time during a game broadcast suffice on its own (Jake are you out there?!)?

Admittedly there is some nostalgia behind this movement on my part, as the teal bills were last worn full-time during the M's mid-'90s glory days, but I'm trying to avoid giving current M's players the vibe that "you should wear these because this is what your greater predecessors wore." I know they would probably not appreciate being compared like that. That being said, I'm going to go about this with a sense that the teal bill will help establish the M's home identity more firmly, similar to what the Orioles have done with the white panel home caps and cartoon bird logo.

Feel the teal!

-Mojo

I suggest you wear the teal bill cap with the home jersey to a game so everyone can see how good the combo looks.

A sign with your "feel the teal" slogan is also a good idea.

Meh. I would plunk down some money for a replica jersey right away if only they weren't so dang expensive. I guess this might be the time to splurge though if there ever was one. :P

I suggest you wear the teal bill cap with the home jersey to a game so everyone can see how good the combo looks.

Meh. I would plunk down some money for a replica jersey right away if only they weren't so dang expensive. I guess this might be the time to splurge though if there ever was one. :P

Ebay a player that isn't with the team anymore? Maybe someone you like but retired, got traded or whatever? Could be fairly inexpensive way to get a real replica jersey

Ebay a player that isn't with the team anymore? Maybe someone you like but retired, got traded or whatever? Could be fairly inexpensive way to get a real replica jersey

Speaking of former player jerseys, last time I was at the Mariners store in Safeco, they had a ton of them for really low prices. Some were as cheap as $30 or $40 if I remember correctly.

Speaking of former player jerseys, last time I was at the Mariners store in Safeco, they had a ton of them for really low prices. Some were as cheap as $30 or $40 if I remember correctly.

Awesome. Hopefully my summer earnings by the time I make it to a game will be enough to allow me to buy one of those plus a fresh new teal bill cap.

In a way I feel as if the M's are already listening to the fans and giving us a teaser of what's to come. The degree to which they are bringing back the teal, first the jerseys last season and now the teal billed caps on Mondays and Fridays at home, I would like to think that an eventual move back to the teal bill full time is inevitable. It's just a matter of when, and I'm not one to wait.

Feel the teal!

I feel bad for Jamie Moyer right now, the longtime Mariner who was just released by the Rockies. I would love to see the M's pick him up; he would provide some more veteran leadership for the young starting rotation, plus we all know how pitcher-friendly Safeco Field is.

One downside of potentially signing Moyer though, relevant to this site, is the fact that he was notorious for hating the M's teal bill cap. He almost invariably chose to wear the solid navy cap on days he pitched, home and (obviously) away. Photos of him wearing the teal bill cap, especially from games in which he was pitching, have proven difficult to find. Funny how the guy who really helped kickstart Jake's stirrups movement would probably be the one to kill my teal bill crusade, if the M's were to sign him. :P

Hopefully going to make it to a Mariners game later this month. Any more suggestions, tips, advice or words of encouragement? I appreciate the support so far!

Feel the teal!

-Mojo

Bump.

I'm hopefully going to make it to the Mariners' June 16 game against the Giants. In addition to holding up a sign to support my movement, I'm going to seek out the next day's starting pitcher during batting practice, whoever that may be, and hopefully get his attention (if only briefly) and point to my sign while encouraging him to consider breaking out the teal bill with the home whites, since if anyone has a say in making such a choice, it's normally the starting pitchers.

I keep seeing encouraging signs of the teal bill's growing popularity: more fans in the stands wearing them, even in substantial numbers at away games; its somewhat prominent place on the side of the homepage of the M's website; and Edgar Martinez wearing it with his Pepsi Max Field of Dreams uniform in promo shots for the event.

Never give up hope!

Well, they just had that no hitter wearing the teal jersey/teal brim cap. Look good, pitch good I say

I was just about to post about that but you beat me to it. That may indeed be a good selling point. Unexpected that it came about, but I'm certainly not complaining. Their most recent no-hitter, by Chris Bosio in '93, also featured the teal bill caps but with the white jerseys since the alternates didn't exist yet. But still, I'm going to harp on those two no hitters as a selling point. It would be cool to see the M's stick to the caps while riding a streak, similar to what the Twins are currently doing with the 'M' cap. There's a special brand of magic in the teal bill--something Mariners fans call Sodo Mojo. It's on the rise, and so I restate that it's time to bring back those caps full-time!

Here's to a great weekend for everyone!

-Mojo

I love how the Mariners have been going back to the teal these past two years. Being A Dodger fan tonight was the first time I was able to really watch a game with the Teal brim caps since they have returned and idk if it was my tv but is it just me or is the teal on the jerseys and the teal on the brim two completely different shades of teal. On my tv the brim almost looked like baby blue

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

I love how the Mariners have been going back to the teal these past two years. Being A Dodger fan tonight was the first time I was able to really watch a game with the Teal brim caps since they have returned and idk if it was my tv but is it just me or is the teal on the jerseys and the teal on the brim two completely different shades of teal. On my tv the brim almost looked like baby blue

It's not just you. The difference is very subtle and I think it's partially due to the different materials. Sometimes the angles and the lighting really accentuate it, but there are also moments when it looks like they match perfectly. As far as I can tell it's all a matter of angles and lighting. Maybe they will look into making a slight tweak, maybe not. Either way, it wouldn't personally bother me too much since first of all teal is a very difficult color to keep consistent across different materials, and second I think the problems are mainly due to the lights rather than the jerseys and caps themselves.

I know firsthand that if you were to pick up a teal bill cap and teal jersey and put them next to each other, they pretty much match perfectly. But we've seen multiple examples throughout history of how things can look different on the field than up close and personal.

And as a little hint to the Mariners, no such problem would exist wearing the teal bill with the home whites! I'm not saying get rid of the current Monday/Friday home combo, because the all navy cap with the teal jersey looks silly IMO. The teal bill movement is gaining traction.

Feel the teal!

It's well documented that I hate teal. I've said before that teal belongs on a bridesmaid's dress, not a sports uniform.

But the Mariners' teal is kind of a blueish teal. More of an aqua. And, to me, aqua is acceptable.

Whatever you call it, I kind of like the Mariners' "other" color.

It's well documented that I hate teal. I've said before that teal belongs on a bridesmaid's dress, not a sports uniform.

But the Mariners' teal is kind of a blueish teal. More of an aqua. And, to me, aqua is acceptable.

I believe the official name of the color is "northwest green." Meaning it's probably more greenish than bluish.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I believe the official name of the color is "northwest green." Meaning it's probably more greenish than bluish.

Correct. I would use the official northwest green name in my movement if it weren't for the word teal being so much easier to fit onto signage, plus it lends itself to some potentially catchy phrases and slogans. And we all know how important slogans are in campaigns!

If the M's have another great game in the teal bills tomorrow night, hopefully the streak will start to gain some more meaning.

Feel the teal!

That brings up another potential point of interest. In addition to the cap revision, what would everyone think if the M's got stirrups similar to those that Jake is advocating for the Rox?

Personally, I see it this way: striped socks would be just as good as striped stirrups. Could someone maybe do a mock-up of some navy socks/stirrups with teal stripes? But if it comes down to those ugly long '70s-'80s stirrups, I'll take plain socks any day. Either way, I would like to see more socks showing. I hate the pajama pants look.

But first things first, let's get those teal bills back to where they belong!

Marinersstirrups.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump everyone. But since it appears that I have plenty of supporters for my teal bill movement, I thought I would update everyone by mentioning that I will be attending the Mariners game this Saturday against the Red Sox.

I will be wearing my teal bill Mariners cap (and hopefully buying a new one while I'm at the stadium since my current one is beat up and has a couple of flaws), but unfortunately I was unable to get my hands on a replica home jersey to complete my own combo to help promote the movement. As far as signage goes, life happened to me these past several weeks and swallowed up my time. Nothing tragic or earth shattering, just enough to keep me worried about other things besides this campaign and thus the sign won't happen, barring a last minute dash of creativity.

I did, however, send an email on the subject to the Mariners organization that will be forwarded to the correct department in due time. Hopefully that will suffice and will at least get the powers-that-be to give it a thought, as I'm aware that others have contacted the Mariners about this as well.

Finally, I plan on arriving at the ballpark as soon as the gates open so that I can hopefully seek out the following day's starting pitcher during BP/autograph sessions to encourage him to choose the teal bill for Sunday's game. It appears at this point that Hector Noesi will be Sunday's starter, so my Spanish-speaking abilities may come in handy here. Anyone know the Spanish equivalent of "teal"?

Here's to progress. Feel the teal!

-Mojo

Archived