Mariners teal bill caps

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like more teams overall, sadly, are going with a two-toned cap more often on the road than at home. It's becoming prevalent both in the majors (i.e. Reds, Astros, Rockies) as well as in the minors (the new Hillsboro Hops come to mind).

That being said, I seem to recall an OKC Thunder-related thread in which a poster said something to this extent: at home, a team needs to embrace a more colorful, extravagant look that appeals to the crowd, gets them excited and pumped up. On the road, a more muted look is symbolic of putting on the hard hat and grabbing the lunch pail, a no-frills, down-to-business aesthetic approach. This sudden two-tone cap on the road, solid color at home trend directly contradicts that, which I believe to be a great standard, and it's frustrating.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Bring back the compass hat...

0331_large.jpg

IMHO, that is the best cap ever worn by the Seattle Mariners. At any time, in any context in its 37+ year history. The only M's hat I ever saw and said, "I have to have one of those." Wish I still had mine.

No thank you

0331_large.jpg

IMHO, that is the best cap ever worn by the Seattle Mariners. At any time, in any context in its 37+ year history. The only M's hat I ever saw and said, "I have to have one of those." Wish I still had mine.

No thank you

The compass cap should match the navy tops they wear now. The all solid should be reserved for the road grays. The teal bill is for all other options.

How long did that compass cap last? Two years? I own one and I think the design is unique but the reason why I like it is because it's kind of rare

Go A's!

EDIT: Sorry there's only a few photos now. It made me go back and start deleting pics due to "Does not allow that type of image" and I couldn't figure out which one it was. Didn't want to go back and start over.

Who wears colored bills at home or on the road to me is a team to team thing. If I had my say for home and away (this does NOT include when they wear alternate jerseys):

Red Sox - Leave it as they currently are

Rays - Home (Light Blue) Road: (Navy)

Orioles - Leave it as they currently are

Yankees - Leave it as they currently are

Blue Jays - Leave it as they currently are

Tigers - Leave it as they currently are

Indians - HOME: pMLB2-3537308nm.jpg

ROAD: pMLB2-3537324nm.jpg

Royals - Leave it as they currently are

Twins - For both HOME and ROAD: pMLB2-3537554nm.jpg

White Sox - Leave it as they currently are

A's - Leave it as they currently are

Rangers - HOME (Blue) ROAD (Red)

Angels - Leave it as they currently are

Mariners - HOME (Teal Bill) ROAD (Solid)

Astros - Leave it as they currently are

Braves - Red Bill for Home AND Road

Phillies - Leave it as they currently are

Nationals - Leave it as they currently are

Mets - Leave it as they currently are

Marlins - HOME: (Orange) ROAD (Black)

Cardinals - HOME (Red) ROAD (Navy)

Pirates - Leave it as they currently are

Reds - Home AND Road (Solid Red)

Brewers - Leave it as they currently are

Cubs - Leave it as they currently are

Diamondbacks - Leave it as they currently are

Dodgers - Leave it as they currently are

Rockies - HOME (Black) ROAD (Purple)

Giants - Leave it as they currently are

Padres - Leave it as they currently are

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Ugh. No thanks.

1. Caps should have the city initial on them, and

Is it safe to assume you'd make an exception for the Orioles, Blue Jays, and White Sox? :)

No, not really.

I recognize that those three have history behind them, but I'd probably replace them all.

Meh, the Blue Jays have always worn a variation of a blue jay on their primary caps. Every attempt at a cap monogram has backfired for them. I agree that as a rule cap logos should use the city initials, but I believe the Blue Jays have earned an exemption.

Ugh. No thanks.

Is it safe to assume you'd make an exception for the Orioles, Blue Jays, and White Sox? :)

No, not really.

I recognize that those three have history behind them, but I'd probably replace them all.

Meh, the Blue Jays have always worn a variation of a blue jay on their primary caps. Every attempt at a cap monogram has backfired for them. I agree that as a rule cap logos should use the city initials, but I believe the Blue Jays have earned an exemption.

What about Oakland. They technically use a nickname on their caps?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

0331_large.jpg

It would go well with those. But better yet, I would love to see the 1999-2000 "SEATTLE" alt jerseys (with the silver piping) be resurrected and paired with this cap for Sunday home games. The two actually fit Safeco Field pretty well IMO. It would also eliminate the glaring inconsistencies with the current road alts: no piping (all others have piping), jersey number below front team script, and that horribly funky font.

Sad thing is, this cap was used in numerous promo shots in the late 90s and even into 2000 I believe. But due to the lack of photos of it in action, other than in spring training games, I am led to believe that it was rarely used. If I could be owner for a day...

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Ugh. No thanks.

2. Metallic fabrics are fine in certain applications, most notably on the disco floor, but look awful on caps.

I can't agree with 1. By doing that, you'd be limiting any potential cap logo that could look good. Now I'll buy the fact that a logo with the city's initial is more likely to be less of a minor league look compared to a hat without the city's initial on it, but I can't operate under the guise that "[c]aps should have the city initial on them."

2 is usually correct. In fact, I'm finding it difficult to think of a time where metallic fabrics looked good.

I think logos work on a case-by-case basis. The Blue Jays have, IMO, maybe the best cap in all of baseball and they feature a logo. But not necessarily all mascot/logos work. The compass rose alone may be alright for an alt cap and definitely BP, but not a primary cap. And honestly the Mariners need it for any game cap. The teal billed and all navy are the only caps needed to be worn. If it's letters, it should be the city/location. I do give an exception to the A's and White Sox. If it can be done with 3 or less letters AND looks good, then ok. But otherwise I don't like monogrammed letters representing the nickname. However I find myself loving the Angels using the A. The symmetry of it lends to an excellent cap logo. Plus it did represent the city at the time it began being used and still carries relevance due to the nickname. Plus there's a history of using the A-lo and I think adding the L may take away from the logo.

Metallic fabric should NEVER be used for the bill or crown of a cap. Never has and never will look good, Mariners's included.

Archived