Mariners teal bill caps

My man, let's all start a movement. And I'm only kidding a little.

My advice to you is that you need to go big or go home, to me this looks a whole lot like the first page of my thread. People told me I couldn't do it, and the people that told me I could sounded dreamy. Obviously I have done very little on a grand scale but I believe that I'm on the right path. It's too bad that your annoying little team won't be back in my stadium for another 6 years or so, otherwise I would have gladly helped you in some way shape or form. I also couldn't agree with you more, in the last 4 days I have seen the mariners play twice, on the road, once in grey and once in navy. Both times I found myself daydreaming about what it would be like to see a game with them in the teal. I'm not suggesting that they wear it on the road, because they really shouldn't wear it with grey, that would kill it. But the teal is one of my favorite jerseys in the game today.

Oh yeah and the hat, yes please. In my opinion the perfect jersey set would be white jersey w/ teal billed navy hat, grey jersey with all navy hat, teal jersey w/ teal hat & navy brim, and navy jersey w/ navy hat & teal brim. Now that would be straight sexy.

Best of luck to you good sir. But remember, when everyone forgets about this thread next week, don't give in. Actions speak much louder than words. As nice as players can be, when you have 30 seconds "will you wear a different hat for me cuz I'm weird and I would j*zz a little if you did?" doesn't really do the trick. You have to demand their attention.

And hey if it's any help to you, the pesky little brat that calls himself a mariners fan in my photo is wearing your hat. You could spin that any way you see fit, or not.

Resampled952012-05-189521-33-3795795.jpg

And by the way, when the Rockies almost had a fun little rally like they often do in the bottom of the 9th during sundays game, I was doing my thing with the sign. 3 drunken mariners fans saw it and and said "naaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, stirrups suck." My question for them was "is it possible that they were the ones who sucked instead?". But they weren't, the rally fell short and they pulled out the brooms and received many evil looks. I told them that "getting swept my the Mariners would be a lot like if they got swept by the Rockies?" Twas a swell time at the ballpark I say. I do enjoy a good heckling match throughout a close game with fans from the other team.

Good Luck,

Jake

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KJ-MARINERS-REVISION.002.jpg

I'd also like this back

It has always been one of my far-off fantasies to see that cap on the field again. Sadly however I doubt it will happen, at least anytime soon. It's sad too, because I proudly own that cap and there are some interesting moments behind it: the first alternate cap in team history when it came out in 1994, Ken Griffey Jr. wore it in the 1994 home run derby in Pittsburgh, and Edgar Martinez contributed to its popularity by wearing it in one of his famous "I have a leetle proyect" Eagle Hardware & Garden commercials.

Which brings up another point, the home whites/teal alt cap were always an interesting combo, and I think it looked better than a lot of people gave credit for.

Although the teal bill reigns supreme for me, this alt cap is certainly a nice little treasure.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Abra Kadabra (spelling?):

Ever heard of the Freeloader Fork?

Kidding_Awound_Canada_Freeloader_Fork_2.jpg

Get a mannequin head, paint him teal or whatever, shove a pole up his neck, secure your precious hat somehow, and proceed to act like a foolish child (that can also be a professional business man at a moments notice) for just one day.

See how it goes.

Do it next week

I'd also like this back

Maybe that hat with the navy alternate would work?

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Never.

Funny, that Randy wore both of them.

He sure did, though I don't think the Astros' gold looked as bad as that silver bill.

randy20johnson1.jpg

Biggest chest logo in MLB history?

PvO6ZWJ.png

The gold worked well (in the context of a bad uniform). However, silver doesn't work because teams wear gray on the road. You can't combine gray and silver. Also, from a distance the silver is going to look white if it is shimmery. At least the gold wouldn't lose its color like that. I have an older Sox BP cap with a silver brim, and it looks good as a fashion cap, but the team should never wear silver brimmed caps in actual games.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I do have a soft spot for that metallic silver billed cap, but I agree that the metallic stuff is better left in the '90s. As far as the teal-crowned cap being worn with the navy alts, no. I did the next greatest thing to a mock up--I wore that cap with my navy alt replica jersey, and honestly I hated how it looked. If anything, I believe we would see the silver bill caps worn with the navy alts before we would ever see the teal crowns with them.

Jake, I just made an interesting observation: Jamie Moyer has been the most helpful Rockies player to you in your stirrups campaign so far. What's ironic is that when he played in Seattle, he notoriously hated the teal-billed cap and 99% of the time opted for the solid navy one on days when he pitched, regardless of the jersey being worn that day. Meaning that if he was still in Seattle and I were to approach him much like you did, he would likely be the one to immediately shut down the idea of bringing back the teal bill full-time. :P

The fact that the teal-billed cap didn't look right with the navy jersey tells you that the navy jersey is bad. Teal is one of their primary colors. The navy jersey completely marginalized it to the point where it was barely there. That was a problem. I don't know if teal numbers on navy would work, but that jersey should have more prominently featured teal instead of silver.

As for the teal-brimmed cap, it should be worn home and road. It was a very '90s thing to do (with the Indians and A's joining them), but going solid-color on the road just for the sake of having a second hat to sell is bad, mmkay. We see that now with the Braves wearing their crappy solid navy caps on the road instead of the classic red ones. The Mariners own teal/northwest green in MLB. They should feature it more. While the teal crown cap might be best left in the past, I don't think a teal brim is too "loud" to be worn regularly with all jerseys. It would brighten up a drab road look and further distinguish them from the glut of navy/gray/white teams.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The fact that the teal-billed cap didn't look right with the navy jersey tells you that the navy jersey is bad. Teal is one of their primary colors. The navy jersey completely marginalized it to the point where it was barely there. That was a problem. I don't know if teal numbers on navy would work, but that jersey should have more prominently featured teal instead of silver.

As for the teal-brimmed cap, it should be worn home and road. It was a very '90s thing to do (with the Indians and A's joining them), but going solid-color on the road just for the sake of having a second hat to sell is bad, mmkay. We see that now with the Braves wearing their crappy solid navy caps on the road instead of the classic red ones. The Mariners own teal/northwest green in MLB. They should feature it more. While the teal crown cap might be best left in the past, I don't think a teal brim is too "loud" to be worn regularly with all jerseys. It would brighten up a drab road look and further distinguish them from the glut of navy/gray/white teams.

no the teal-billed. the teal crowned. get your facts straight.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I have no clue what the hell you are saying or if it's intended to be in English, but I will try to respond. The Mariners just brought back the teal-brimmed caps, which previously were worn at home. They also used to have a teal-crowned alternate with a navy brim, as shown in the picture of Junior above. That was worn exclusively with the teal jersey, I believe. They had three caps back in the day before they added the silver-brimmed cap.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have no clue what the hell you are saying or if it's intended to be in English, but I will try to respond. The Mariners just brought back the teal-brimmed caps, which previously were worn at home. They also used to have a teal-crowned alternate with a navy brim, as shown in the picture of Junior above. That was worn exclusively with the teal jersey, I believe. They had three caps back in the day before they added the silver-brimmed cap.

i wondered what the teal-crowned cap from that alt looked like with there navy alt. obviously, it didn't look good.

I'd also like this back

Maybe that hat with the navy alternate would work?

I apologize. I misread the post above mine. Of course that hat would look bad with the navy jersey. However, I think the teal-brimmed cap would also look bad with that old navy jersey since so little teal was actually in the jersey. The teal-crowned cap would look even worse for that reason. Plus, wearing a lighter cap than the alternate jersey hasn't ever worked in practice.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The fact that the teal-billed cap didn't look right with the navy jersey tells you that the navy jersey is bad.

I knew that you meant to say teal-CROWNED cap, not teal-billed. The teal-BILLED cap IMO looks great with the navy alts.

But I have to disagree with you on the teal bill 24/7 idea. First of all, I'm sure I'm not alone in believing that the teal bill just wouldn't look right with the road grays. Secondly, the M's did the teal bill at home/solid navy on the road idea ever since they came up with their current uni set in 1993, which I think you could argue was well before the whole "add an alternate to boost merchandise sales" movement. Teams like the Orioles, Twins, Rockies (sorry Jake), and now the Braves all played copycat to the M's one cap at home, another on the road scheme. Not to say that the M's were the sole team to be ahead of the times in this way, but they certainly were among the front runners. The M's utilized the two-cap scheme when things were simpler, and they did it for the sake of aesthetics for their new unis rather than just as a money-making scheme.

The fact that the teal-billed cap didn't look right with the navy jersey tells you that the navy jersey is bad.

I knew that you meant to say teal-CROWNED cap, not teal-billed. The teal-BILLED cap IMO looks great with the navy alts.

But I have to disagree with you on the teal bill 24/7 idea. First of all, I'm sure I'm not alone in believing that the teal bill just wouldn't look right with the road grays. Secondly, the M's did the teal bill at home/solid navy on the road idea ever since they came up with their current uni set in 1993, which I think you could argue was well before the whole "add an alternate to boost merchandise sales" movement. Teams like the Orioles, Twins, Rockies (sorry Jake), and now the Braves all played copycat to the M's one cap at home, another on the road scheme. Not to say that the M's were the sole team to be ahead of the times in this way, but they certainly were among the front runners. The M's utilized the two-cap scheme when things were simpler, and they did it for the sake of aesthetics for their new unis rather than just as a money-making scheme.

I think I agree with you.

Teal-billed at home (white & teal jerseys)

All-navy on road (gray and navy circa 1999 jerseys)

I know they may have been ahead of the rush to wear two caps (the A's came out with the solid green in 1993 also), but I still think the teal bill looks better with the road jersey, too. The road jersey is darker to begin with, being gray. Since you are already making the team look darker on the road, why go even drabber for the hell of it? I don't like when teams play that up and go darker on their road cap just because, and I think the Mariners are a case of that (the Cardinals and Nats are better examples, though the Cards have a historical precident). If anything, the road look needs to teal brim more than the home, to brighten it up and offset the gray jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived