Wyss Family Farms

wILL-INI

So I had some free time, and I've always had an interest in family farm logos. My family owns about 3000 acres in central Illinois and currently our "logo" is just Wyss Family Farms in a diamond. Well I've been doing some research and such and wanted to try my hand at designing a family logo for our farm.

7295665750_e37c4f8055.jpg

It falls, a little, into the cliche logo trends that are happening, but I really tried to focus on some different aspects. I was looking largely at old tractor co. logos, and those awesome old oil can logos. The top of the logo I included the swiss flag cause that is where my family moved from, and at the bottom the state is pretty self explanatory. The cross line effects is to give the logo some depth, but again it reminds me rows in a field. So, C&C please.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Agreed. There are a couple of things you could get rid of (I'd go either all gray or all red for the diamond infill...most likely red), and I'd get rid of the white outline in the middle of the diamond. I really want to see this as a one color logo to see its versatility. I think if you do that, you can take this from pretty good to really damn good.

perhaps make the top and the bottom bar shorter. This will allow your kerning to be better, and will add a bit more variation in the logo. This also stresses the word 'family' as it will be in the largest bar.

Also, what if you had the ribbon come out from behind the diamond on the top right, and the bottom left?

A lot of potential here.

Picture21.png

7297442582_be22444fdf_b.jpg

Great call on all the inside being red. Thank you. With the swiss flag I really want to keep it distinguished as a swiss flag, since there are so many static elements, I feel like it might start to look too medical, and not "farm".

Woking on some real life examples...

I don't like the hash marks above Illinois. I would get rid of them. Regardless you have a very nice, well done logo that would stand up well for years.

If you don't mind asking, whereabouts is the farm? My family (well extended family) owns a farm outside of Colfax.

I dig it, Will.

I'm interested in Vicious' suggestion of shortening the bars/ribbons on the WYSS and FARMS parts. In addition to the kerning and emphasis on FAMILY, it would also flow well to the shape of the diamond.

Only other issue is on the single color variations. The outline of the diamond is too thin in contrast to the thick outlines on the ribbon. I'd say make it thicker. You can either go to the outside of the existing diamond or to the inside.

The former would add a piece to the logo that's not their in the multi-color variation, while the latter would make the white part appear thinner. Neither perhaps optimal, but both may look more balanced than the thin outline. In my opinion, anyways.

I think it looks great! Like you said, falls in line with some logo trends but it is fitting none the less. I like the depth you are giving it as well. Good work!

As well, what font is it that you are using? I like the width of it.

To be honest, I think the hierarchy is a bit bothersome. There are a lot of family farms. There's only one WYSS Family Farm, but you wouldn't know it from the logo since each portion is given equal billing. I'd work up some options where WYSS is the main element, big and bold, with Family Farms a little more subordinate.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

7299540750_99eb2774b2_c.jpg

So here is where I'm at now. I made each box fit according to word size, I feel like it maybe fits around the diamond a littler weird. It kinda makes me question how I am doing it. I think I'm going to try to one where Wyss / Family Farms. Make it two boxes, cause yeah I agree with Andrewharrington, there should be more of a focal point on Wyss. Drew out the ribbons a little bit, I really dig this. It has more of the feel I was going for, looking like an old seed bag logo. There might be some opportunity with the space inside of these ribbons as well. Still working on this. I'm going to keep working on some things, and maybe try some more options.

Some BTW. Font = United Serif Extended // Heavy My farm is somewhat close to Colfax, we are in the middle of woodford county, a county to the north...

Good changes so far. Interested in what you'll try with Wyss.

For now, here's another thought. The angle of the background/field lines clashes with the diamond angles. I don't notice it until I get to the right hand side. Then I see that odd area, and it bothers me. A 45-degree angle (like the diamond) might be too harsh, though, so I'm not sure what the best solution is. But it's worth being aware of and seeing if there's a better solution.

I don't think it would be too harsh at 45 degrees. Its meant to be read as a field, so you aren't looking at the individual lines. I think it would work. I almost want you to get rid of the white outline for the diamond shape in the one color logo. let the name banners pop out with that one.

That's some really fine work. I've liked every version so far. You're getting a lot of great input but at the end of the day, go with the one you like best. My opinion is you can't really go wrong with any of them, but I'm not a designer so I'm not sure what to look for other than what I find aesthetically pleasing. In any case, it's all really nice work.

BB52Big.jpg

7306415598_1f624b2462_c.jpg

So I tried a different font, something a little different, less athletic. The problem is since it's not as extended there is the white space around the letters. I think the type is more justified but that white space is driving me crazy! Any suggestions? I rotated the lines a little, full 45 degrees fit weird.

Here are some of my other concepts. None of these really work as well as my first concept. But there are things I do like about these.

7306417542_530be120eb_q.jpg7306417606_6dd37da67a_q.jpg7306415582_9c980aa2a7_m.jpg

The middle concept in your last post has some potential. I instantly saw a building shape in the red above the W. I think making the current 'doghouse' shape into a barn shape might work really well. All you would need to change is the roof. You would lose your diamond shape but I'm a sucker for negative space tricks.

Agree with mcrosby. That middle one is where it's at. I saw the building right away as well and didn't even notice the W until the second glance. That one sticks in my memory much more than anything else you've got. Very distinctive.

7350882328_4ac87915fd_b.jpg

So I think landed on this. It puts a little more emphasis on the Wyss, but still contains that imagery that I felt was important. I'm pretty confident in this but would like some more C&C...

To be honest, I think you may have deviated too far. It's lost a lot of the charms that I liked about your original versions. I do like the use of Vitesse, but I'm not a huge fan of the italics for Family Farms. I also miss the ribbon and am not a huge fan of the rounded rectangle.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of ideas off-hand, and I hate to leave you with that sort of feedback, but I'd keep pushing this one.

Archived