Biblical Ballers

AtticusFinch1

Hello! I am just getting in to the world of logos and graphic design. Having tremendous work made even better through this community, I figured I would give it a shot.

My project consists of geographic locations in the Old and New Testaments and relevant sports teams. I have worked with Inkscape to construct these logos.

A couple caveats.

1) I am a complete and total amateur. A week ago, I had no idea what Inkscape was. I basically had an idea in my head, found a tutorial, and tried to execute what I envisioned.

2) I am looking for ways to improve upon the logos artistically. Any guidance would be appreciated.

3) My experience is EXTREMELY limited. Any help in pointing out tutorials to help execute the change would be tremendous.

4) Right now, I am just focusing on logos. Not uniforms.

On with it....

My first team - the Ararat Arks!

araratarks.jpg

C&C appreciated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Boards! For a person only knowing about Inkscape for a week, this isn't that bad. What I always say, "simple, yet effective!". What advice I can give you is watch some YouTube. That's what I did. I'm not a graphic designer by any chance but I do know how to make logos and such with the program thanks to YouTube.

mcbqza.jpg

I found these to be extremely helpful when I first got Inkscape.

Regarding the logo, I would fix the sides of the ark's hull. Assuming it's a front view, the sides should be curved like that of a real boat. This promises to be an interesting series, that's for sure.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I found these to be extremely helpful when I first got Inkscape.

Regarding the logo, I would fix the sides of the ark's hull. Assuming it's a front view, the sides should be curved like that of a real boat. This promises to be an interesting series, that's for sure.

Wow! Thanks BigBubba! Really helped me on some of the questions I had.

mcbqza.jpg

Welcome to the boards! Very good for a novice attempt. I would perhaps make the ark a bit taller, to better mimic the negative space in an A. Also, the bottom edge of the A is pretty rough, I'd smooth out those points. Bezier points take some practise to get down.

Keep up the good work!

rATMcmK.png

Welcome to the boards! Very good for a novice attempt. I would perhaps make the ark a bit taller, to better mimic the negative space in an A. Also, the bottom edge of the A is pretty rough, I'd smooth out those points. Bezier points take some practise to get down.

Agreed that it's a good first effort. You could make the ark taller, or even a bit shorter and add the top negative space in the A, as though the ship were only forming the bottom negative space. I would also draw the whole A shape and the whole ark shape, then draw the wave over top the same colour as the background, so that you get a nice, even curve that goes over both and you don't have to try and line it up.

Also, the wordmark needs work. It's rarely as simple as just typing out the city and the nickname. There's got to be some type of visual hierarchy there; simply put, one part is more important than the other, so it has to be bigger. Typically you see the nickname bigger than the city. Go through the mothership, look at wordmarks, see what you like and try to mimic those styles for practice.

maybe some small waves and then one big crashing wave across the arc?

My idea to incorporate the "A" design.

--------S /

------S (

sssS---Ssss

This way you have Brown Arc, Blue wave and crash (middle of A), blue wave and the rest of the brown arc

*EDIT may be easier if i just throw together a quick render but i dont wanna jack your thread. just wanna show u an idea

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Thanks for the advice all

I tend to lean more toward putting doves on top of the ark rather than making it bigger, but I will try both and post them when I get an opportunity.

@worcat, feel free man. If you could describe how you do it, that would be awesome as well.

thanks again all.

your latest is a step backwards...too much detail - stick with the silhouette

while you're at it, i think you could reduce this to two colors (really one color) and have a stronger logo - instead of brown, just let the ark "carve out" the space in the A - you've got a really effective idea for the logo...brilliant, honestly...but you don't want to muddle it up with too many colors and too much detail

the wave needs to be smoother, and more assymetrical than the latest version

you've got a really great start here, though...

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived