Bad NHL jerseys may have looked better if not for logo

Unocal

Some NHL jerseys designs that were much-maligned got me wondering: how much better might they have been received if they were tweaked a bit differently?

I think some of the much-maligned NHL jerseys might have been looked at more positively if not for the logo in the middle.

For instance:

Islanders18.png

If the Islanders had done this originally for 1995-96 instead of the infamous Fisherman logo in the middle, I think that would have come across a lot better. Minus the Fishstick logo, the rest of the jersey is not that bad. Wish they had that decent design a little longer.

Also, the Bruins' yellow alternate jerseys introduced in 1996. If you had taken out the Pooh Bear logo in the middle and put in the normal Bruins "B" logo in it's place, I think it would have come across a lot better:

jersey600.JPG

Looking at the back, it's not that bad IMO. Replace the Pooh Bear with a normal Bruins logo and I think it would make for a solid jersey.

2593374340100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

I didn't think aside from the middle logo this was that terrible. Take out the Wild Wing logo on the front and put in the regular Mighty Duck team logo and it would have maybe been seen a lot better.

Finally, the Dallas Stars Mooterus.

If you take out the infamous "Cow Uterus" logo and slap on the regular Stars logo, I think it's much better.

IMO, some of these NHL jerseys considered the worst ever- replace the logos in the middle and I think they're less awful.

I think the Wild Wing jersey would have been around a lot longer had the team's logo been on the front. Outside of that and the number/letter font it's not really a bad design, even if the striping style was very similar to Florida's at the time.

As for the Ducks today, I'd like the regular set a lot more if they just did away with the wordmark already. It's long overstayed its welcome and feels redundant now.

FF_171293_xl.jpg

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

As an Islanders fan, I can state the general opinion among Islander fans that there was just no fixing those jerseys. The tilting script and the numbers and that awful wave pattern makes for one of the worst jerseys of all time IMO (except maybe that Mighty Ducks jersey).

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

As an Islanders fan, I can state the general opinion among Islander fans that there was just no fixing those jerseys. The tilting script and the numbers and that awful wave pattern makes for one of the worst jerseys of all time IMO (except maybe that Mighty Ducks jersey).

and generally any design that deviates from the cup era look generally doesn't get received well. the only set they had that had any staying power was the post fisherman set. and that was a modernization of there cup set. the fisherman and edge sets were nerfed fairly quickly. in favor of the cup era look.

on the mooterus,

agreed on that. the logo MAYBE could have worked for the Fort Worth Brahmas but even that is a stretch but i do agree i love the striping pattern. Had they just stuck to the team colors and added a stars logo on it, it would have been great.

on the wild wing/poo bear,

i have a soft spot for the mid 90's wtf designs. But there was no salvaging them.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Anyone have a concept of what that Isles jersey would look like with straight lines and straight fonts instead of that wave-y thingy? I'd think it'd make a nice alternate.

The Bruins one is really bad, even if Pooh Bear was removed. You still have to deal with the awful, un-traditional wordmark on the shoulder plus that jagged design on the tail and sleeves. The ideal yellow/brown jersey for me was their Winter Classic stuff.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

and generally any design that deviates from the cup era look generally doesn't get received well. the only set they had that had any staying power was the post fisherman set. and that was a modernization of there cup set. the fisherman and edge sets were nerfed fairly quickly. in favor of the cup era look.

on the mooterus,

agreed on that. the logo MAYBE could have worked for the Fort Worth Brahmas but even that is a stretch but i do agree i love the striping pattern. Had they just stuck to the team colors and added a stars logo on it, it would have been great.

on the wild wing/poo bear,

i have a soft spot for the mid 90's wtf designs. But there was no salvaging them.

also, the islanders tried to shoe-horn navy into their set. why go darker? there is a reason they're royal and orange (colors from the nassau county flag). every modernization of their set has used a dark navy and a dark orange, and it drives me crazy.

sig2024.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived