Colorado Avalanche jersey concept

Snow Monster

Hello,

This is my first post, so bear with me. 'Still getting the hang of this place.

I am a big fan of the Colorado Avalanche and have been for as long as I can remember. However it goes without saying that this team has one of the worst jerseys in the NHL. We fans have come to call them the ''unipron'' because of the stupid apron-like design.

Before Reebok took over we had one of the most unique jerseys in the league. Avs fans definately would like to see the team return to something akin to the look of the pre Reebok era. This is what I have attemted to accomplish.

Please note that I have noticed a couple of designs eerily similar to mine but I have no intention or desire to emulate or copy anyone else's concept. This is solely my work aside from the actual templates which I borrowed from Bmacs' blog.

Alright, so here is the home jersey.

avs_zps4d42bc34.png

I love the older uniforms the Avs wore so they were definately the inspiration, however I thought that since the Avalanche is a very modern team, a modern design should be in order. I think an update is acceptable for them. I have made some subtle homages to the Quebec Nordiqes given their historic significance to the Avs. First of all the main color is steel blue instead of Burgundy. While I love burgundy and wish to keep it as the primary color of the franchise I think a change to blue will not hurt this uniform. But I still left enough burgundy to be recognizable as an Avalanche jersey. Most people won't even notice the difference. The Nordiques wore blue sweaters, so that is sort of a reference right there. Another thing is I brought back the mountains on the sleeves and bottom of the sweaters. The new ones seem empty without them. I arranged the three peaks at the bottom of the jersey to sort of imitate the three Fleur De Lis that the Nordiques wore on the bottom of their jerseys. Some people have wanted to eliminate the black in the uniforms entirely, but I don't think it is necessary and I doubt many Avs fans would either, so rather tone down the black I attempt to embrace it. I think it kind of ties together the jersey and the pads, gloves and helmets the players wear even better. Overall I wanted to retain the original feel of the design,at the same time giving it a new, modern look.

Here is the White version.

avs2_zpscb3ae4e0.png

I really didn't change a whole lot on this one, just gave it the same update as the home jersey. It sort of retains the nostalgia of the glory days of Colorado.

Finally I present the alternate jersey.

avs3_zps1bcea2c8.png

This one is pretty much a recoloration of the current alternates the Avs wear with inspiration from our first alternate jersey and imitating the color scheme of the original dark jerseys.

And as a bonus I made a concept of a Winter Classic uniform.

avs4_zpsd4144cb3.png

Not a whole lot done here. Just a simple classic design with only the main colors used. If the Avalanche aren't able to use the Quebec Nordiques or the original Colorado Rockies uniforms for a Winter Classic game, then these should be an acceptable substitute.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Any constructive critisism or just general thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey welcome, and just an FYI, I would say don't create multiple threads for each jersey. If you have concepts for two different sports or two different teams, then you may want to create two separate threads, but for the most part, and at the very least, the way I've understood it: one team = one thread. THough I've also seen members put multiple teams in one thread, but while it may not be your intention multiple threads for what looks like the same thing looks kind of like spamming. If it just is repeats b/c the didn't show up in the threads, give it about five-ten minutes - sometimes it takes it a little bit to show up.

As for the concepts, not a whole lot of change it the first two jerseys, not much I can say about them because of the lack of change. Not sure I'm digging the peaks look though.

Hey welcome, and just an FYI, I would say don't create multiple threads for each jersey. If you have concepts for two different sports or two different teams, then you may want to create two separate threads, but for the most part, and at the very least, the way I've understood it: one team = one thread. THough I've also seen members put multiple teams in one thread, but while it may not be your intention multiple threads for what looks like the same thing looks kind of like spamming. If it just is repeats b/c the didn't show up in the threads, give it about five-ten minutes - sometimes it takes it a little bit to show up.

As for the concepts, not a whole lot of change it the first two jerseys, not much I can say about them because of the lack of change. Not sure I'm digging the peaks look though.

Thanks. I posted all my concepts on the same page but for some reason it repeatedly posted several times. I don't know why that happened and it wasn't my intention to do so, my apologies. I would delete them if possible.

Well do you have any thoughts on the alternates or even the minor tweaks I made to the first two? Is the design better or worse than before?

The mountains are supposed to have the illusion of depth to them, sort a 3D effect. At least that's what I was trying for.

Congratulations on acheiveing the first ever deca-post of a topic in CCSLC history.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Once people get past the initial posting error, you'll be fine. You were also proactive about admitting your mistake as well,which helps a lot.

3 out of 4 of these, I like a lot. You do a great job of taking a team that abandoned a good look and slapping them back to their senses.

The Winter Classic jersey is the only one that I have any issue with. In my mind, a Winter Classic jersey needs to hearken to the hockey heritage of a particular area. For the Avalanche, that would mean going in one of 3 directions for inspiration:

• The Rockies
  • A minor league team
  • A college team

Just giving you some food for thought.

This is a great start for your first concept. You took the best uniforms the Avs have worn, and made it better. Love this concept.

Once people get past the initial posting error, you'll be fine. You were also proactive about admitting your mistake as well,which helps a lot.

3 out of 4 of these, I like a lot. You do a great job of taking a team that abandoned a good look and slapping them back to their senses.

The Winter Classic jersey is the only one that I have any issue with. In my mind, a Winter Classic jersey needs to hearken to the hockey heritage of a particular area. For the Avalanche, that would mean going in one of 3 directions for inspiration:

• The Rockies
  • A minor league team
  • A college team

Just giving you some food for thought.

Hey guys, thank you for the encouragement, I really appreciate it.

In regard to the Winter Classic one, I just made it for in the possible event that the Avs aren't allowed to wear one of the previously worn jerseys. Rockies would be fine by me, but since many teams seem to mix and match from their old uniforms and come up with something different yet familiar, I wanted to do the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think these have a lot of potential and they're pretty good!

Home and away: I love that you used blue as the base color for the home, yet the large amount of burgundy makes it still look good. I also like that you were able to re-create their old design in a new, unique way. The lines coming off the mountains are a little strange but they're kind of growing on me. The ones on the hem look a little wacky but I'd have to see it on an actual jersey. Nice work overall, though. (But get rid of the huge, ugly wordmarks on the helmet!)

Alternate: I have to be honest. I'm just not liking it. It's not a bad design but the colors, stripes, and wordmark all just clash in my opinion.

Winter Classic: Beautiful! .... but not as a Winter Classic. I do love that jersey though! Ithink a colored version of that would make a nice alternate for the set.

Coming from one Avs fan to another, this is an excellent start! A little work here and there and these could be very good.

I think these have a lot of potential and they're pretty good!

Home and away: I love that you used blue as the base color for the home, yet the large amount of burgundy makes it still look good. I also like that you were able to re-create their old design in a new, unique way. The lines coming off the mountains are a little strange but they're kind of growing on me. The ones on the hem look a little wacky but I'd have to see it on an actual jersey. Nice work overall, though. (But get rid of the huge, ugly wordmarks on the helmet!)

Alternate: I have to be honest. I'm just not liking it. It's not a bad design but the colors, stripes, and wordmark all just clash in my opinion.

Winter Classic: Beautiful! .... but not as a Winter Classic. I do love that jersey though! Ithink a colored version of that would make a nice alternate for the set.

Coming from one Avs fan to another, this is an excellent start! A little work here and there and these could be very good.

Thanks alot Justin. I am very pleased you liked them.

Yeah the helmets are kinda ugly, but I didn't think anyone would care.

I appreciate the comments.

I may tweak the jerseys a bit sometime later.

The home is great! Awesome tweak to a good jersey. The road could benefit from some black trim so make it sharper, and I think some black outlines to "COLORADO" on the alt would tie that jersey together more. Awesome start here!

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

The home is great! Awesome tweak to a good jersey. The road could benefit from some black trim so make it sharper, and I think some black outlines to "COLORADO" on the alt would tie that jersey together more. Awesome start here!

Thanks for the kind words Kenny. It is very satisfying getting so much positive reactions on here.

I am making some minor changes right now so thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to avoid a whole lot of black on the road, but a little bit won't hurt. Especially if it makes it sharper.

Hey guys,

I have been tweaking the jerseys a bit, specifically the 3rd or alternate jersey since that one seems to be the weakest. So I have been experimenting and have come up with a couple alternatives.

avs3_zps4018fddf.png

Ok, on this one, I pretty much eliminated the extra blue. It has been pointed out that the last one was just a little bit too busy. The first alternate jersey the Avs wore was fairly popular with fans, so that was the main inspiration.

Aaaannd concept #2.

avs5_zpscd282d1c.png

The white alternate jersey I made has recieved a lot of positive comments so a dark version of that seemed like a good idea. Grey is a underused shade in the Avs color scheme, so I included more. I think it looks pretty good.

Let me know what you think. Are these concepts better or worse?

So frustrating to see people on here who can design a jersey much better than anything RBK introduced during the "edge" launch. People were paid to make those Av's jerseys they wear now, yet people on here can design far superior ones in their spare time.

In short, great job!

So frustrating to see people on here who can design a jersey much better than anything RBK introduced during the "edge" launch. People were paid to make those Av's jerseys they wear now, yet people on here can design far superior ones in their spare time.

In short, great job!

Thanks alot! That may be one of the best compliments I have recieved yet. Glad you liked them.

Actually I have been messing with a Vancouver concept, but haven't decided whether to post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post this one too.

avs8.png

I wanted to try to capture the cold snowiness that Colorado is known for while still keeping burgundy as the main color.

I think I have seen some other concepts similar to this one but I can't find where I saw it. I have been messing around with this one for a couple months now but I did use some inspiration from others, but I wan't to say I didn't steal anyones work.

It took me the longest time to make any sense of the original Avalanche jerseys. The lines just looked like random zigzags and I thought them ugly. Someone had to explain to me that they were silhouettes of mountains and then, though I still didn't like it, it made more sense. Yours look like mountains, without being overly referential, and you switch around the colours so that the "mountains" are a colour we associate with mountains and the "sky" is in colours we see the sky in. In this way your take is a marked improvement on the originals.

rATMcmK.png

It took me the longest time to make any sense of the original Avalanche jerseys. The lines just looked like random zigzags and I thought them ugly. Someone had to explain to me that they were silhouettes of mountains and then, though I still didn't like it, it made more sense. Yours look like mountains, without being overly referential, and you switch around the colours so that the "mountains" are a colour we associate with mountains and the "sky" is in colours we see the sky in. In this way your take is a marked improvement on the originals.

Thanks for the compliment Whittier, it means a lot to me. I'm glad you like it.

Archived