Who is the Worst Champion?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So weird BYU has a national championship. Their schedule was bonkers weak.

http://www.jhowell.n...righamYoung.htm Scroll down to 84. I love this site.

I wanted to come and say that as a sport without playoffs, there cannot be any very weak champions in college football, but geez, quite a decent case for BYU. Going undefeated is always good, but this would never fly today. A bowl win vs. 6-5 (6-6 after the game) Michigan. Wow.

Look through that site. You would be surprised how many champs played a weak schedule/bowl. None weaker than BYU, though.

So weird BYU has a national championship. Their schedule was bonkers weak.

http://www.jhowell.n...righamYoung.htm Scroll down to 84. I love this site.

I wanted to come and say that as a sport without playoffs, there cannot be any very weak champions in college football, but geez, quite a decent case for BYU. Going undefeated is always good, but this would never fly today. A bowl win vs. 6-5 (6-6 after the game) Michigan. Wow.

Look through that site. You would be surprised how many champs played a weak schedule/bowl. None weaker than BYU, though.

I'm familiar with the BYU story without even looking at the link. They played terrible competition and FINALLY got a 6-5 Michigan team to play them in the Holiday Bowl after getting denied a game by Washington, Florida, Nebraska, Boston College, Oklahoma, SMU, UCLA, USC and about 10 other teams.

They played terrible against a .500 Wolverine team and somehow managed to eek out the win. It's the only time the Holiday Bowl has hosted the National Champs and BYU was the last team from a non-BCS conference to win a title.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Leave it to me to bring up the National Lacrosse League, I guess:

Not only did the 2012 Rochester Knighthawks bring home the Champion's Cup with a 7-9 regular season record, but the team they beat in the Final, the Edmonton Rush, got there despite a record of 6-10. Then again we are talking the NLL of the early '10s, where 8 out of 9 teams make the playoffs, each round is one-and-done, and pretty much anything can happen in a single game (yes, this is true of most sports, but especially so for box lacrosse).

CCSLC signature.png

Leave it to me to bring up the National Lacrosse League, I guess:

Not only did the 2012 Rochester Knighthawks bring home the Champion's Cup with a 7-9 regular season record, but the team they beat in the Final, the Edmonton Rush, got there despite a record of 6-10. Then again we are talking the NLL of the early '10s, where 8 out of 9 teams make the playoffs, each round is one-and-done, and pretty much anything can happen in a single game (yes, this is true of most sports, but especially so for box lacrosse).

Weren't the Knighthawks the team that had 5 of its players arrested earlier this year in Minnesota?

I won't include their 2000 team on here because they won 67 games (even though Portland handed Game 7 to them). However, I will include the 2001 and 02 Laker teams on this list.

Those teams had two players and a bunch of stiffs. I know that people say that they didn't need any other people with Shaq and Kobe, but that is garbage. If that is true, why did they need referee assistance against Sacramento?

And, in 01, they didn't really play anyone in the playoffs except San Antonio. The Blazers were a shell of their former selves, the Kings had White Chocolate at PG instead of Bibby, and the Sixers were one of the worst teams that ever made a finals.

And, I agree with the 01 Pats, but I would also include the 03 Pats as well. They won several ugly contests that year, like a 12-0 win at home over the Quincy Carter-led Cowboys, a 12-0 win in the snow over the Jay Fiedler-led Dolphins, and a 9-3 win at home against the Kelly Holcomb-led Browns. They also beat Denver without Jake Plummer, and they should have lost in OT to the Texans.

They also weren't that dominant in the playoffs. The Titans could have taken them to OT if Benji Olson didn't get called for holding on a 12-yard completion from McNair to Bennett late in the fourth quarter. The next week, the Pats got by Indy because of the snow and because they were holding their WR's, and in the SB, if Kasay didn't kick the ball out of bounds, that may have went into OT.

Archived