Who is the Worst Champion?

2006-Carolina Hurricanes and 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.

54-22-8, #2 conference seed who trumped Rinne, Luongo, and the #1 seeded Sharks before winning the cup in a 4-2 series. Stacked roster.

Where does the "worst champion" part come in?

They weren't really a "worst champion", but an unexpected one for me. I thought the Flyers had it in the bag that year.

...but...but the title of the thread...is "Who is the Worst Champion?"...

I'll admit I made a mistake. Okay? The Blackhawks weren't the worst champion.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they didn't win the whole shebang back in '08...but if I were to play semantics and stick to "worst champions", then I'd throw a bone to the 2008 NFC Champions...the Arizona Cardinals.

First...they lost what, something like four out of their last five games to close out the season at 9-7 (?), pretty much got Jean-Claude Van Damme roundhouse-kicked backwards into the playoffs...but then jumped up, got hot (and VERY opportunistic), and ended up in the freaking Super Bowl, which I'm sure exactly zero people saw coming. (And if not for Ken Whisenhunt's inept and obviously vindictive game game-planning, the Cardinals probably would've beaten the Steelers pretty soundly, too—and then they'd have been option A for this thread.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The '02 Angels were a very good team that had the distinct misfortune of upsetting the This Is Barry Bonds's World Series And We're Just Watching It Giants and finishing second to an amazing Oakland A's team whose sh-t didn't work in the playoffs. They shouldn't get such a bad rap.

I'm also one of the few defenders of the '06 Cardinals. 200+ wins in the previous two seasons. That core was for real; the results just sucked.

They may have deserved to win in either '04 or '05, when they posted the best record in baseball both those years.

Doesn't mean that an 83 win team winning '06 is any less ridiculous.

The Cards also were devestated by injuries in 2006 and got people healthy for the playoffs. I'm sure McCall or Fanatic can add more detail. They were better than an 83 win team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm torn between the 97 Marlins or the 01 Patriots. They were both very mediocre teams; the Marlins laid the groundwork for what the Cardinals would do in this current era of wild card wackiness and the Patriots changed the way we look at instant replay, scrutinize officiating, and protect quarterbacks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The '97 Marlins were full of Hall Of Very Good guys. Renteria, Alou, Sheffield, Bonilla, Kevin Brown, Al Leiter, Livan Hernandez. 92 wins in a division with the Braves in their prime isn't shabby. Perhaps you meant the Juan Pierre/Todd Hollandsworth/Mike Lowell 2003 Marlins?

You can't argue with what the 2005 White Sox actually achieved, but what a crap roster. Faustian bargains at five positions and pretty much an entire bullpen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I say the 97 Marlins because while it's admirable they had 93 wins, they were the first wild card team to win the title, and had a hell of a roster, but something about the 1998 fire sale and implosion tarnishes that championship for me. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but it bothers me.

The 05 White Sox were arguably the most boring team to win a baseball title in the modern era, I will say that. Their roster was unattractive despite it's talent, they mowed through the postseason and swept a similarly vanilla Astros team. I can't call them the worst, though.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Even though the 2012 Kings barely squeaked into the playoffs, I wouldn't really consider them to be among the worst of NHL champions. The only reason I say this is to just look at what they did in the playoffs. They destroyed every team, they went ahead 3-0 in every single series. Brown and Kopitar led the playoffs with an average of one point per game.

I think when you look at the worst champions you have to look at how they looked in the regular season and how they looked in the post-season. And it wasn't like the wins came easy against the Kings in the regular season either, behind the Blues, they led the league in GAA.

Even though the 2012 Kings barely squeaked into the playoffs, I wouldn't really consider them to be among the worst of NHL champions. The only reason I say this is to just look at what they did in the playoffs. They destroyed every team, they went ahead 3-0 in every single series. Brown and Kopitar led the playoffs with an average of one point per game.

Great point. Bad champions do not thoroughly destroy the competition in the postseason like the Kings did.

McCarthy said-

----

NFL-

Last year's Giants, 2008 Steelers, 2005 Steelers, 2001 Patriots

----

The Steelers are just never any good are they?

2008 team was okay, but they should've lost to the Cardinals, who were not a good team.

But the 2005 team is to this day the worst team I've ever seen win the super bowl. They didn't win the division, had the good fortune of facing Jon Kitna in a playoff game, and a self-imploding Colts team in the second round. Denver handed them the AFC and the refs handed them the super bowl in what is still the single most horribly officiated NFL game from beginning to end that I've ever seen.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The 05 White Sox were arguably the most boring team to win a baseball title in the modern era, I will say that. Their roster was unattractive despite it's talent, they mowed through the postseason and swept a similarly vanilla Astros team. I can't call them the worst, though.

They are only the 2nd AL team (1927 Yankees being the other) to lead a division/league wire-to-wire in the regular season and win the WS.

And that Astros team of Berkman, Biggio, Clemens and a prime Carlos Beltran was hardly a cupcake at the WS (a game-winning HR in Chicago, an extra-inning Game 3 marathon ended by Geoff Blum, and a 1-0 deadlock in Game 4 won by Jermaine Dye).

The '05 ChiSox cannot be put on this list.

Archived