Cubs announce Wrigley Field renovation plan

MadmanLA

http://sports.yahoo....43631--mlb.html

They've already done minor work prior to last season adding some rooftop seating beyond the outfield bleachers and installing LED panels, this plan is much more substanial, and it calls for $300 million in renovation work to include a myriad of stuff including improved concourses and restrooms, expanded skybox suites, signage, and a video scoreboard (that part, much to the chargin of some purists).

The Cubs indicated that they would foot most, if not all, of the bill, but they're asking the city of Chicago for some help, in terms of infrastructure and easing some restrictions around the stadium, such as putting more advertising signage.

Another proposed part of the plan is possibly building a hotel across from the stadium.

I would imagine, of course, that this may be better than building a new stadium from stratch, which may cost the Cubs double or even triple what they currently plan on spending on this Wrigley renovation.

I'm mostly in favor of this, but they need to slow their roll on things like a video board. That's too much of a departure. Maybe if they mounted one across the street, I could deal with it, but the Cubs can't forget that they have something special and unique here, and Fenway facelifts don't necessarily equal good Wrigley facelifts. Lake View residents and the city do have a responsibility to save the Cubs from themselves on some of this, but that doesn't mean they should have to pay. The Cubs need to be good neighbors. If they'd prefer not to have neighbors, they can be the White Sox.

Just my thoughts. I now declare this gathering of people blaming Cubs fans for everything OPEN

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I respect the tradition of Wrigley Field. Well kind of. It's kind of a funny (not haha) tradition in that it's not winning tradition, but it's still pretty amazing stuff.

But I don't respect the reality of Wrigley Field. It's not a very great or appealing place beyond the tradition. And honestly, it's not easy to pretend that not having modern amenities like a video board or clean bathrooms is some sort of great link to the past. The truth is it just makes the game less enjoyable than at places that do.

So other than it being one less thing to make fun of the franchise about, I support a renovation like this. You can keep the history and still bring it into the 21st (or even second half of the 20th) century. And it's long since time to do so.

This is blasphemous, but I prefer seeing games at the new Cardinals stadium over Wrigley. Wrigley's a pain in the ass to get to, the very idea of parking is a hilarious joke, and outside of the novelty of seeing the surroundings and the ivy, etc, it's kind of a grody place.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

To expand on my post and echo CS's...

I'm glad I made it to Wrigley once to see a game. I really could do without ever going back (in it's current set up). The stadium doesn't live up to the aura attached to it.

I think they could make it a very good stadium without losing that aura.

Wrigley's a pain in the ass to get to, the very idea of parking is a hilarious joke

5516609.jpg

I can't imagine anything easier than boarding a train and being dropped off a block away. Expensive parking lots/garages aren't even that convenient.

and outside of the novelty of seeing the surroundings and the ivy, etc, it's kind of a grody place.

So then it's a good thing they are cleaning it up. Still, don't you kinda mentally budget for a sports venue to be gross? I mean, I don't think anyone is opposed to having cleaner bathrooms, just maybe not being bombarded with AC/DC songs and obnoxious advertising like every other park. Those are totally different things to address here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wrigley's a pain in the ass to get to, the very idea of parking is a hilarious joke

5516609.jpg

I can't imagine anything easier than boarding a train and being dropped off a block away. Expensive parking lots/garages aren't even that convenient.

and outside of the novelty of seeing the surroundings and the ivy, etc, it's kind of a grody place.

So then it's a good thing they are cleaning it up. Still, don't you kinda mentally budget for a sports venue to be gross? I mean, I don't think anyone is opposed to having cleaner bathrooms, just maybe not being bombarded with AC/DC songs and obnoxious advertising like every other park. Those are totally different things to address here.

I'm interested to see what they do with this overhaul, absolutely, but I've always been on the "build the Cubs a new stadium" bandwagon. Regarding parking, it's not as simple as taking a train. Every time my family and I have visited Wrigley we have to park in a designated lot for an arm and a leg, then take 2-3 trains to get to wrigleyville. It's not atrocious by any means, but it's not convenient in the slightest.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My frequent Wrigley parking plan is to drive until I see "Wrigleyville Parking Permit Required" signs, then go back a block until I find free on street parking. By the time I walk back to my car, much of the traffic is already gone. I figure when you have a 2-hour drive home anyway, what's a little walk after the game?

All for the remodel - any remodel. It's long overdue.

It's where I sit.

So driving however long it takes you to get to the free parking and then facing an extra 30-40 minutes on the train is a totally satisfactory solution?

I can see that it would be for some, but I also don't think it's crazy that others might feel differently. I can't say I'd be totally fine with that, especially if my drive to the initial parking spot was already more than 15 minutes.

Mine was just an example. I live on the West side and 30 min by train is very acceptable for me to get to Wrigley. Its just with all four stadiums in the city, you shouldn't feel the need to drive to them with the awesome public transit system we have.

So driving however long it takes you to get to the free parking and then facing an extra 30-40 minutes on the train is a totally satisfactory solution?

I can see that it would be for some, but I also don't think it's crazy that others might feel differently. I can't say I'd be totally fine with that, especially if my drive to the initial parking spot was already more than 15 minutes.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but...

I'm coming down from Wisconsin, so I have 2 hours regardless of traffic. Since I'm driving that far, I don't feel the need to catch the El. If I lived in the area, it would certainly be different. There are El stations that would work for me, parking along the Interstate and hopping off at Wrigley. It wouldn't be 30-40 minutes on the train, either.

It's where I sit.

Yes.

The free parking is plentiful if you know where to go (and, the Internet) and you don't need to spend an additional 30-40 minutes on the train. You can be driving from pretty much anywhere and make the last x minutes of your trip on the train. That's not even considering how many people won't need to take cars at all.

But to preserve Wrigley's neighborhood character, instead of empty blocks of parking lots? I'd say that's a more than satisfactory solution.

For day games, there is plenty of street parking within a 2-minute walk, even more within 5, and if you want a safe but scenic 10-15-minute walk, park in Roscoe Village. People just don't pay attention to the signs. Night parking can be a little trickier, but doable in a 10-minute walk. For free. And it's not like there aren't bars to duck into every other block in case you get winded.

And Fenway was a dump when I visited in 2002, but I hear they've done great things there since. Hopefuly the same can be said for Wrigley in six years.

The hell? You can park in my hood for free, take the Blue Line to Jackson and transfer to the Red line. 30-40 min tops.

There is free parking in this city. You just have to look for it.

I live in a three flat on Waveland & Kenmore. If anyone I know is going to Cubs games, I can just get them a spot behind my house, or I can give you a permit to park in front of it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Yes.

The free parking is plentiful if you know where to go (and, the Internet) and you don't need to spend an additional 30-40 minutes on the train. You can be driving from pretty much anywhere and make the last x minutes of your trip on the train. That's not even considering how many people won't need to take cars at all.

But to preserve Wrigley's neighborhood character, instead of empty blocks of parking lots? I'd say that's a more than satisfactory solution.

I'm still not convinced it's satisfactory without considering the specific factors, but there's no way NOT to consider the specific factors, so... I would agree with your last point. The neighborhood charm IS a real actual charm about Wrigley, and it would be hard to change the parking situation much without ruining that.

As a Brewers fan, I do not particularly care what is done with Wrigley. It's not like the Cubs have ever won a World Series when calling it home...

Outstanding thread contribution. Compelling and rich.

twitter

Archived