Cubs focus-grouping a rebrand?

bradsbeard

The road script could stand to be better (just use what they used in the '60s) but I see no reason to abandon all the brand equity they've developed over the past 60ish years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think their pinstripes are so sacred, they really weren't part of the Cubs identity until the late '50's and there is a wealth of other traditional Cubs uniforms they can draw from...

mlb_a_cavarretta11_400.jpg

This is definitely one of the past jerseys I was referring to. I'd say lose the cap for something with the current C, but I don't think you lose the Cubs brand of recent years if you go with something based on this. Heck, you could keep the current logo and still use these uniforms. The one thing that has been consistent -- for more than 60 years -- is the C. Even the last team to win the World Series wore that. And we all know how long ago that was. So that, some form of blue, maybe the pinstripes, maybe the C-UBS or maybe a C-cub (like the alt or the 1911 version). But I'm not sure a version of the-1957-that-transformed-in-1979 home uni is untouchable. Just like Wrigley isn't.

I do think that "brand equity" is mostly "lovable losing" with some "maddening losing" thrown in later. Maybe "popular losing?" There are enough looks from their past to be inspired by without replicating the current look, which is made out to be a little more than it is, IMO.

How many times do we see, "You can't change that, they won a World Series / Super Bowl / Stanley Cup / NBA Finals in that." In some ways the Cubs are the opposite. They are the sports equivalent of an airline keeping its livery after a bad crash, and they never do that.

I'm usually happy with keeping tradition in some form, but much of the Cubs tradition is synonymous with a century of losing. I think the cap "C" looks like something that belongs on a little league cap, and I don't like the road unis at all. I know they might have some resistance from the Reds, but I would like the wishbone "C" to come back for the caps, maybe with the same thread pattern as the current "C."

Long story short, I agree with the others who said they don't really have a great look. I can't think of another team in a top-3 market that has a poorer look.

mainescarf.png

What the hell are they going to update to, though? A darker blue or red? A ferocious baby bear? A stylized Ron Cey?

Better to keep it simple than to go balls-out on a full on re-do. Ferocity and baseball don't exactly go hand in hand, so unless they move the old cubface onto a bp or road cap, or god forbid bring back the Cuba script, anything they do won't exactly be an improvement.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The road script could stand to be better (just use what they used in the '60s) but I see no reason to abandon all the brand equity they've developed over the past 60ish years.

The 60s, at least the first two-thirds of the decade, were awful for the Cubs. I don't think revisiting that time will exactly signal a path ahead to a glorious future.

Hmmm.. Throwbacks... I would give anything to see these come back... especially the road jersey

nl_1978_chicago.gif

That reverse-pinstripe roadie is absolutely atrocious. I felt that way when I was a kid watching it move on the teevee. And they're not going back to double-knit pullovers full-time. But that target C and the Cub are pretty great.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I always wished the Cubs would take advantage of how close their colors are to Chicago's flag and swap out their royal blue for powder blue. Then they could top it off with a flag-patch to their sleeves.

Some merchandise, particularly Nike I believe, used to use a lighter shade of blue. Not quite powder, but lighter than royal. And way lighter than the blue of their current caps, which really matches nothing else in the set. I always thought that looked nice and that the flag would be a nice basis for a redesign. Again, so many options to do better... or unique.

I'd love to see a vest this time around. Won't happen, but I'd love to see one anyway. Wouldn't be opposed to the C-ubs being tweaked, maybe something closer to that 30s home.. And of course, if I had any say, the 94-96 mad bear and Cuba script would be coming back. In any event, it'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived