Cubs focus-grouping a rebrand?

bradsbeard

This is from a Cubs blog I read regularly, and the author is well respected in Cubs circles.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/02/28/source-cubs-seriously-exploring-branding-changes-including-new-logo-new-uniforms-and-a-jumbotron/

As a Cubs fan I'm all for reworking the road look, and if they leave the home uni (and by extension I expect the main roundel logo) in tact I'll be fine with a little modernization (or retro-ization as the case may be).

One thing I noticed with the new BP hats was how much I liked the darker blue. I even like the white "C" better than I used to. I wouldn't mind if they built the road unis around that hat.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what caught my attention was the addition of a jumbotron, they said it would go where the toyota sign is. i didnt know where it waas so i looked up a pic and holy :censored: the toyota sign is so bad, if i was a cubs fans id take a jumbotron over that :censored: signage anyday, besides, the iconic budwiser roof is now a united ad, so who cares if thats lost.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

I'm all for the Cubs changing their road look as long as they don't go navy. The current look is pretty boring. I don't think they've really ever had a great road look.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This is from a Cubs blog I read regularly, and the author is well respected in Cubs circles.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/02/28/source-cubs-seriously-exploring-branding-changes-including-new-logo-new-uniforms-and-a-jumbotron/

As a Cubs fan I'm all for reworking the road look, and if they leave the home uni (and by extension I expect the main roundel logo) in tact I'll be fine with a little modernization (or retro-ization as the case may be).

One thing I noticed with the new BP hats was how much I liked the darker blue. I even like the white "C" better than I used to. I wouldn't mind if they built the road unis around that hat.

What kind of pro team would use a focus group to test uniform desi-- oh sorry, I thought I was still in the 2014 NFL thread. (I'll stop now.)

First off, is the Cubs' BP cap really a darker blue? The one a decade ago was, but this just seemed to be the same blue that all caps have, which is always darker than the jerseys.

As far as changes, I'm all for it. The old all-navy look would be great inspiration. I wouldn't mind using gray on the road instead of white, maybe even a gray C on the cap.

My only hesitance would be joining the navy-red bandwagon, so I might even lose the red completely. I've always like the idea of brown and red, too.

Honestly, there are several directions they could go, and I'm not sure I'd hate many of them. There's tradition, and then there's what the Cubs have done for the past 100 years or so.

First of all, a focus group is just that and nothing more. If they get negative reactions, nothing's changing. If they want to rebrand the team, winning is the best way to do that. I mean look at the Yankees, they aren't looking to rebrand, and even the Red Sox brand is better since they won two World Series. If they want to rebrand, then focus on winning and people will deal with the "boring" road uniforms.

First of all, a focus group is just that and nothing more. If they get negative reactions, nothing's changing. If they want to rebrand the team, winning is the best way to do that. I mean look at the Yankees, they aren't looking to rebrand, and even the Red Sox brand is better since they won two World Series. If they want to rebrand, then focus on winning and people will deal with the "boring" road uniforms.

I agree. I just think they can (and definitely should) redesign the road uniforms without it being a rebrand.

Unlike most Cubs fans I think I'm pretty open to them doing a rebrand. The home pinstripes and cap C are never going anywhere, but their plain "target" logo and bland road cap/uniforms could be given a makeover.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Unlike most Cubs fans I think I'm pretty open to them doing a rebrand. The home pinstripes and cap C are never going anywhere, but their plain "target" logo and bland road cap/uniforms could be given a makeover.

I'm a Cubs fan too, and I'm with you. I don't want the pinstripes or cap C to change either, but the primary logo and road uniforms (especially the latter) are definitely worth talking about.

I'm a Cubs fan too, and I'm with you. I don't want the pinstripes or cap C to change either, but the primary logo and road uniforms (especially the latter) are definitely worth talking about.

Agreed. When I say "most Cubs fans" I'm indicating the ones that too drunk/dumb to know how to use the internet, much less turn on a computer and compile a rational thought into text.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The current Cubs "target" logo is very rooted in '70s, which makes sense, since that's when it was born. It's stood up well, but there are others from their history that could be used or modernized without shedding all of the "tradition." I've found myself drawn to versions of the C-UBS without any sort of circle.

I think this is an awful way to think, especially on a message board for uniforms. How good a team looks is independent of how they play. You should have your team look their best regardless of how good they are.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived