NOLA Pelicans/HOU Astros New Branding Durability

loneranger158

While on the campus of Texas State, I saw the first sighting of merchandise from the new looks of Pelicans and Astros (Hats featuring the H Star and fleur de pelican). So which brand will be the most durable: which will last longer and which will be more successful as a recognizable identity?

Parsons is my dude.

While on the campus of Texas State, I saw the first sighting of merchandise from the new looks of Pelicans and Astros (Hats featuring the H Star and fleur de pelican). So which brand will be the most durable: which will last longer and which will be more successful as a recognizable identity?

San Marcos?

I can understand Houston being marketed, but Texas State is too far away from Louisiana to market the Pelicans. I would think the Spurs would sell the most merch.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

The Astros. I think their new owner will want to focus on brand stability. Now they've returned to a variation of their traditional look they'll want to stick with that.

The Pelicans, on the other hand, will probably redesign everything in five-ten years (but probably keep a terribly recoloured version of their primary around).

There are teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Cardinals, Tigers, Red Sox and Giants (and others) who have pretty much established a classic brand and gone with it for fifty years or more. The fonts may change and they may conform to fads now and then, but the basic, elemental brand--colors and cap logo--remains the same. Then there are teams like the Astros and Blue Jays who have gone all over the map and then come back to a modern update to the most iconic brand in their history. I feel like these teams will stick with that basic brand the same way the teams I mentioned above have--they've pretty much settled into a permanent identity through trial and error. Fonts may change, fads may come and go, alternates may invade, but the basic colors and primary cap logo will remain essentially the same.

The Pelicans, who knows. Let's see how the team plays.

the Astros have a timeless identity now. they dont ever have to change it again due to it being dated. the Pelicans probably will at some point, but right now they fit in perfectly with the current NBA aesthetic. most recognizable?? probably the Pelicans. but each are unique enough in their own markets. they both suffer from similar "problems" though. the Astros arn't the only team with a roundel logo and the Pelicans arnt the only team with "illustrated mascot over (under) text" logo. still, that's the graphic language of their sport's culture. it's perfectly appropriate

i think they're both well done. as much as i think the "Pelicans" is a stupid name, the identity is strong. the Astros i really like, one of my favorites in the MLB right now

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

San Marcos?

I can understand Houston being marketed, but Texas State is too far away from Louisiana to market the Pelicans. I would think the Spurs would sell the most merch.

I'm from Houston but was visiting San Marcos today. I was just saying as a whole not specifically from a regional perspective.

Parsons is my dude.

I think the Astros new classic look will last longer than the Pelicans. Both of them are nice designs, but between the popularity of the classic look at the moment and the fact that NBA teams seem to change logos (or at least their colours) every few years, the Astros will last for at least a couple of years after the Pelicans logo.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I think the Astros new classic look will last longer than the Pelicans. Both of them are nice designs, but between the popularity of the classic look at the moment and the fact that NBA teams seem to change logos (or at least their colours) every few years, the Astros will last for at least a couple of years after the Pelicans logo.

I might have missed it, but have the Hornets Pelicans unveiled their new unis yet? Depending on how those come out, I think that'll tell for sure. As for what of the visual brand identity package we've seen (logos and scripts, in other words), I think it definitely has staying power. Clean, crisp lines and shapes...nothing too frivulous.

And, it should be noted that...well, look at how long the Utah Jazz mountainball primary logo lasted. Even through team color changes. So i guess it really depends on how much ownership likes it.

As for the 'Stros, the overall look definitely has a timeless look to it...the individual characters, however, I can see being tweaked up in the next couple years to come.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived