Cleveland Indians Concept

speedy

Been a while since I've posted any concepts around here, but with the plethora of down time this past week, I've started rehashing unfinished projects. First one up is the Cleveland Indians. I started this back during the conversation of replacing Chief Wahoo.

It's nothing mind blowing, but it's extremely traditional, which I believe fits the direction the Indians have been taking.

Primary Logo:

Primary_zps55e89f71.png

Secondary Logo:

Alternate_zps5126778e.png

Wordmark:

Wordmark_zps3b24b36f.png

Now onto the uniforms. I have a feeling parts of this aren't going to be very well received (i.e. the abundance of red, shoulder numbers, etc.) but we'll see how it goes.

Home:

Home_zps6b730d25.png

Away:

Away_zps72ad7b94.png

With the BP jersey, I figured if the Astros can bring back the tequila sunrise why can't the Indians bring back their racing stripes?

BP_zps3f08dc9a.png

And here's another view of the jerseys:

Action_zpscf51c2fe.png

C&C greatly appreciated.

In all seriousness if the Tribe did move away from the Chief (God forbid they do), this would be a fantastic package. The return of the racing stripes goes along with the some what trend of MLB teams updating retro looks (Astros, Blue Jays, Orioles). I love it.

However, if you were removing the Chief for political correctness, I do not think this would fly. The reason being the feathers. The same thing happened to William & Mary a few years back due to their feathers and the NCAA slammed them.

I do like this set though.

spacer.png

Without 'MURICANS launching a full-scale culture war whenever the idea of getting rid of Wahoo is so much as flirted with, he'd probably have been gone quite some time ago. It's a hokey, outdated logo that represented a club that hardly ever sniffed a pennant or a World Series title, let alone won one (literally, just one) in six-plus decades. Not to mention it looks ridiculous and minor-leaguish on a cap... the block-C is much more fitting of an original major league ballclub.

Without 'MURICANS launching a full-scale culture war whenever the idea of getting rid of Wahoo is so much as flirted with, he'd probably have been gone quite some time ago. It's a hokey, outdated logo that represented a club that hardly ever sniffed a pennant or a World Series title, let alone won one (literally, just one) in six-plus decades. Not to mention it looks ridiculous and minor-leaguish on a cap... the block-C is much more fitting of an original major league ballclub.

You should realize they won 2 world series and made it twice in the 90s. But how is bashing the team a way to critique his design?

You should realize they won 2 world series and made it twice in the 90s.

The two they won preceded the current Wahoo design, and their 90s World Series appearance ended with a loss to the G-ddamn Marlins of all teams. It's not like losing Wahoo would represent a break from a winning tradition. If anything he's a symbol of the team's futility since their last World Series victory.

But how is bashing the team a way to critique his design?

I wish this wasn't the case, but here's the truth about Wahoo, the Redskins' name, and anything Native related in the NCAA. Any concept that tries to deal with those controversial elements will devolve into an argument about those elements. They're tied into to many emotions to not cause that argument. You might as well be trying to hold back the flood with a roll of Bounty.

That aside I will share my thoughts on the concept. I really like it. I love the racing striped alternate. My one critique concerns the feathers on the primary. They look more like fox or wolf tails then feathers. I'd use something a bit more angular and closer to the feather design the team currently uses.

You should realize they won 2 world series and made it twice in the 90s. But how is bashing the team a way to critique his design?

How is whining about the lack of Chief Wahoo a way to critique his design? Frankly, I like the concept and can't think of a way to improve it (add cream, maybe?)

But I'm not out to bash the Indians, just the idea that getting rid of Wahoo is somehow an affront to the teams' tradition. Hes been around for six decades and the club STILL has more World Series wins without him than with him. The only reason anyone wants to keep him around is because he's become a rallying point for the "PC is the devil" crowd, but it doesn't change the fact that Wahoo is clunky and outdated from a strict design perspective. I wan't LSU to change the tiger on their helmet... even though it's also "tradition"... for the same reason.

Did you consider moving the numbers to the left sleeve and using the feathered C on the hat? That's a great logo and would add an element that may work better than slapping a block C on there

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Couple of notes here:

1. I'd recommend eliminating the sleeve numerals. I understand that it's a classic look, but it faded away for a reason (save for the Phillies, who should eliminate it as well).

2. Do a little bit of work making the wordmarks unique. Right now they're a generic block font -- try subtle additions that will make them scream CLEVELAND. (Refer to what the Vikings just did to their nameplate font.)

In all seriousness if the Tribe did move away from the Chief (God forbid they do), this would be a fantastic package. The return of the racing stripes goes along with the some what trend of MLB teams updating retro looks (Astros, Blue Jays, Orioles). I love it.

However, if you were removing the Chief for political correctness, I do not think this would fly. The reason being the feathers. The same thing happened to William & Mary a few years back due to their feathers and the NCAA slammed them.

I do like this set though.

One thing to think about, is the association many teams make between Native Americans and Warriors. In a sport like baseball, where not every mascot needs to be intimidating, this seems like a good way to start a conversation about using Native imagery in a peaceful way. Similar to the Spokane Indians.

As for the concept as a whole, I love everything except the navy/red color scheme. It's just my personal opinion that MLB has far too many red/blue teams. I did a brown/red Indians concept that featured a dreamcatcher a while back. The color scheme is a minor quibble. Good work!

Archived