New Pittsburgh Pirates Logo

BossAwesome

Has anyone seen or heard what the Pirates are looking at doing with their new logo for next season? I know they had some roundtables with the season tickets holders but I haven't seen or heard anything. There are some cool fan concepts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading somewhere that they were showing focus groups all of the previous logos, and getting feedback. I would guess that would mean that they are not going in a radical new directions and we should see something fresh but familiar.

When the NFL Bucs rebranded in 1997, they switched from a cartoony pirate to a more edgy skull and crossbones. That remains one of the most successful rebrands of all time IMO. I hope that would inspire the Pirates to do something similar, but without changing the color scheme. My personal preference would be to drop the red as an accent color and go strictly back/gold.

I remember reading somewhere that they were showing focus groups all of the previous logos, and getting feedback. I would guess that would mean that they are not going in a radical new directions and we should see something fresh but familiar.

When the NFL Bucs rebranded in 1997, they switched from a cartoony pirate to a more edgy skull and crossbones. That remains one of the most successful rebrands of all time IMO. I hope that would inspire the Pirates to do something similar, but without changing the color scheme. My personal preference would be to drop the red as an accent color and go strictly back/gold.

Yes, dropping red is a no-brainer. Good call.

I don't know about their logo, but I really like that gold with black brim cap. They should add some more gold to some of their unis. as well.

Yeah, I don't think there are any plans to do anything drastic. The Pirate "P" logo is as iconic as the any logo in baseball. They would be really stupid to mess with it. Personally, I like the current Bucco logo. Except to me its always looked like he has a dip of Skoal in his lip. I know e supposed to be snarling but that what I always thought is it looked like. I just wonder what direction the team will go. The Tampa Bay Bucs logo was a complete success. Do the Pirates try to go edgy? I like the Bradenton Marauders logos, so do they go cartoony? It exciting and scary what could happen here.

IIRC, the only element that was to be modified/replaced was the primary logo:

uorovupw0jagctt6iu1huivi9.gif

Which if you ask me was a bad choice to begin with. Sadly, the Pirates have never really had a logo that (at least to me) came close to accurately portraying a pirate... and something tells me they won't this time around, either.

They could refresh the whole identity package for the team, but I think they specifically said that the helmet/cap "P" was out of bounds when it came to a makeover. Personally I'd like to see the ol' pillbox caps make a comeback along with the black n' gold pinstripe/black pant uni combo as an alternate, just to remind those of us old enough to remember what a winning Pittsburgh Pirate team looked like.

nav-logo.png

I did remember reading that as well. Only the primary logo would change. Here is what I don't want: A circle with the team name around a smaller circle with a logo in the center. I counted 8 other teams us that look for their logo. Plus, we already have that as our current secondary logo. Let's do something different.

Considering the majority of Pirates fans seem to like the old logos, I too am confident we'll see something similar to them. Personally, I've always been a fan of this guy...

7xkp9hnp9jq11e1zia4tdcqjh.gif

Perhaps a bit too "friendly" for most peoples' taste, but in a league where we have harmless-looking birds on hats...

Also, except for in the logo, red has been dead for the Pirates for a couple years now. Not a single bit of it in any of the team graphics around the ballpark, or anywhere else. They don't even use the snarling Pirate very much anymore in favor of the "P". No chance we'll see it coming back.

oBIgzrL.png

Considering the majority of Pirates fans seem to like the old logos, I too am confident we'll see something similar to them. Personally, I've always been a fan of this guy...

Perhaps a bit too "friendly" for most peoples' taste, but in a league where we have harmless-looking birds on hats...

Also, except for in the logo, red has been dead for the Pirates for a couple years now. Not a single bit of it in any of the team graphics around the ballpark, or anywhere else. They don't even use the snarling Pirate very much anymore in favor of the "P". No chance we'll see it coming back.

I don't think it's too friendly, but it is far, far to detailed. It tries to hard to look like a photograph. For that reason, I much prefer the current pirate (though the red ought to go).

I grew up with the above logo and in hindsight, the rectangular shape realy bothers me, as does all the yellow space. I would not want to see it come back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7xkp9hnp9jq11e1zia4tdcqjh.gif

You can't really compare a bird to a pirate.

Archived