New Pittsburgh Pirates Logo

BossAwesome

I don't think that logo is "too happy". It's very Raiders-esque, and that's a happy logo that's considered a classic.

That said, I'd like to see them try something new. Not like the raiders or bucs, forming their own identity.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wasn't really my point....

You said the pirate can be friendly because there are harmless birds on caps. Pirates are, basically by definition, criminals. Birds are... birds.

What if it's a jailbird

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would like to see them bring back the pinstripe away uniform with the cursive "Pittsburgh" on the front. That was a very under rated uniform

. thumbpit.gif

If by underrated you mean an abomination that was finally and mercifully trashed, then yes, it was underrated.

The Pirates uniform, sans black alt, are basically perfect. Just need to change the sleeve patch accordingly. They actually look like the Pittsburgh Pirates, before all the garish crap of the 70's ruined their identity.

I would like to see them bring back the pinstripe away uniform with the cursive "Pittsburgh" on the front. That was a very under rated uniform

. thumbpit.gif

well I consider that set to be the historical low for the pirates...the bottom arching and plain white homes combined with pinstripes and script on the grays seemed not only random but half-assed. They need to simply stick with anything from the clemente era and never change again.

I really like this logo, especially the wordmark..

2309.gif

Man, that one just oozes mini golf to me.

TAKA TANAKA MINI GOLF!!!

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Can't imagine why no one is clamoring for the return of this marvel:

http://www.sportslog...60/Primary_Logo

I like that one, too. Even if it is your typical mid-20th-century-cartoon-logo.

I also like the idea of bringing back the '87 logo. Like the robo pigeon for the Penguins, I have a sentimental attachment to it since I was exposed to it during much of my early childhood. If they took away the diamond and 80's adventure movie font and modernized that guy a little bit, I think that'd also be a good and long-lasting look. It's stoic look isn't too friendly and mel gibsony or too anger-translating-as-constipation-y.

There really isn't much you can do wrong with the name "Pirates". Tons of imagery associated with it, which is why I'm really excited to see what comes out of this.

oBIgzrL.png

That wasn't really my point....

Anyway, yeah, too detailed obviously. But a modernization of that would be, IMO, the best.

Shameless Plug Alert:

shameless_zps08ce27e6.png

Nice job on that Pirate logo, I would add the rectangle borders from the 1968-86 design, giving it the look of a treasure map background. Ironically, the 68-86 design never did appear on the sleeve of a Pirate uniform. I like the current uniform set, but wouldn't mind a black pant option with the black alternate. Not to be worn in the summer, but like the connection of solid black with the team nickname.

Fairly or unfairly, the current logo is strongly linked with bad baseball. Now that the club is improving, the timing seems right for a logo which has some association with the winning eras of Pirate baseball. The 68-86 logo was used during the great decade of the 70s, so that has appeal to fans who experienced that championship period.

Archived