Prevalence of Criminal Activity On The Part of Pro Athletes...

drdougfresh

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with him. His points are valid and make sense. I was just pointing out that using the NHL, to say that just because a league has larger team rosters doesn't mean they'll have more players committing crimes, is not a good example.

I think one would have to take into account the neighborhoods in which these players come from. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think many NHL players come from crime-ridden areas like the NFL and NBA do. The NFL and NBA have more players who grew up with violence, drugs and just overall really :censored:ty neighborhoods.

Sorry, I disagree with your premise.

You claim that the NBA and the NFL are both worse off then the NHL because their players mostly come from bad neighbourhoods. Except that, well, in 2012 the NBA had five arrests and the NFL had 42. That's not even close. If upbringing is what accounts for the high rate of crime in the NFL then according to your own argument we should see similar numbers in the NBA because, according to you, they all come from the same troubled environments. That the NBA is a bastion of law abiding citizens compared to the NFL sinks your whole "where they're from" point.

I can see how you thought that, but that's not what I meant. Since both the NBA and NFL do have more players from bad neighborhoods than the NHL, they should be equal in terms of the percentage of players committing crimes, but it's not. Clearly.

I think what it comes down to is that football is a violent sport. Way more violent than basketball and thusly, it attracts players who are more violent and have more anger issues. I know from personal expericance, that these players who are violent and/or angry will use football as safe way to channel it into something productive. I had a highschool teammate who was capable of snaping and getting violent in seconds. When he was on the football field, he was one helluva player. Scary off the field. I don't think he's uncommon.

And here's where hockey comes back in. Hockey is violent sport, yet their players don't commit nearly as many crimes. I think the answer is simple. Violent and angry players don't play hockey (Torres excluded, that guy is a douché).

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, its the Canadian junior system that help keep players out of trouble. They learn early to wath their ps and qs and responsibilty on and off the ice. In America the star player in football and basketball is king :censored:. He gets all the girls and gets spoiled. People cover for him try to protext the star. They reach the pros and think theycan still get away with anything, while at the same time they keep some hanger on around as their posse and you have the recipe for disaster.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That's an excellent point. Hadn't thought about that.

What's the crime rate for baseball players? They go through a similar process in the minors rather than having stardom handed to them right out of (a couple years of) college.

Baseball players, especially from Latin America, often commit idenity theft to make themselves seem younger. Were you thinking about that as a crime?

That's an excellent point. Hadn't thought about that.

What's the crime rate for baseball players? They go through a similar process in the minors rather than having stardom handed to them right out of (a couple years of) college.

Baseball players, especially from Latin America, often commit idenity theft to make themselves seem younger. Were you thinking about that as a crime?

Often?

1zqy8ok.gif

To say that the Canadian junior system prepares its players for a lifetime of off-ice responsibility is pretty funny.

Violent and angry players don't play hockey (Torres excluded, that guy is a douché).

I don't know if this is a stylistic misuse of an aigu, but I so want to believe it was done in earnest.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived