Detroit at Columbus Winter Classic at Ohio Stadium (updated 1/28)

hockey week

After seeing how great the Winter Classic was at Michigan Stadium, and how much I want the Columbus Blue Jackets to have the chances they need to gain traction and survive as a franchise, I came up with this.

The NHL needs to get involved in the Toledo War, the war between the state of Ohio and the Michigan territory over the port of Toledo that led to the tremendous rivalry that those two states share today (Ohio got Toledo, Michigan got the Upper Peninsula), and the way to capitalize on the Michigan-Ohio hatred is to have the Detroit Red Wings play against the Columbus Blue Jackets in Ohio Stadium

osuwinterclassiccopy_zpse9a15a26.png

The logo is a horseshoe, for Ohio Stadium, which is horseshoe-shaped and often referred to as "the horseshoe". The interior of it is the open portico to enter the stadium, and the buckeye is off to the side. I'm terrible at original logos, so I kinda threw that together. The rest is why I made it.

Detroit was a no-brainer, a vintage-white version of their old white uniforms made so much sense. I added a simple patch for the people of Michigan to bring into Ohio.The Blue Jackets was a little tougher

Columbus was a little tougher. I had a blue and red version of their third jersey with just the cannon, and that looks great, but it didn't look like enough for a Winter Classic. I wanted something vintage where I could have the Ohio state outline for the numbers, just like the Barons used, and to make it look very vintage Civil War kind of stuff. I'm definitely open to suggestions on it though.

C&C?

UPDATE:

osuwinterclassicupdatedcopy_zpsfe04d925.

This is the jersey I rejected because it isn't all that different from their current alternates. However, with the response that it got, I'll promote it. The one major change is the update to the hat logo, replacing the star, which I think the team needs to move away from, with the state outline of Ohio. Not only does it look more Civil War-era, but it does more to appeal to the entire state of Ohio, a pride segment that they have yet to exploit.

It doesn't hurt that the red stripes with the silver are Ohio State-like, too.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Alright, with that response, here's an update:

osuwinterclassicupdatedcopy_zpsfe04d925.

I updated the hat logo, replacing the star, which I think the team needs to move away from, with the state of Ohio. I think it looks more period, and the team needs to do more to connect with their whole state, which is a pride thing waiting to happen, and what simpler, more subtle way could you do it?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived