ESPN Redesigns Website

mgdmhl

So a week or so in, and the new site is growing on me. It looks like they've been making some improvements because the navigation has been a bit easier; that or I've just accepted the change.

Two things that are weird are at the top of the page:

1. That the only way to scroll through the scores is a two-fingered horizontal scroll on my trackpad is weird (though I'm assuming a mouse scrollwheel would work too). That interaction isn't obvious, though I'm assuming they didn't want to waste pixel space with a scroll bar. Still, it's not intuitive, and with my ThinkPad trackpad, not always 100 percent perfect.

2. When games are in progress, clicking the scores opens a smaller GameCast window. The default should be to open in a new tab and, for that matter, to open the box score; GameCast is often more than I need.

Otherwise, it's generally okay. I think infinite scroll is a lazy and poor way to manage content; there's no hierarchy so I'm not sure what I should care about. The right-side Twitter feed cramps content a bit, but I think I'm mostly over it (and can easily ignore it).

So while I gave up on SI's redesign from last summer, I think I'll stick around with ESPN.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Chalk me up as another who hates how all website design now seems to be shifting towards mobile orientated.

With this redesign I don't particularly like it, but it's not awful; I've found myself using ESPN less and less in recent years anyway and this will probably just continue that process

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Top left corner say top events, i then select mlb or nba in the drop box, but nothing happens, page stays the same, only scoreboard on top changes, anyone else have that problem ? and where the hell is NCAA ?

edit: found out why, i had zoom on in chrome, apperently that causes some things to vanish

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I have with the mobile version is the extra click needed to get to the scores now. I only went to ESPN.com to get a quick look at the scores on top of the page. With the redesign I hardly, if ever, use it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! to all the people complaining about mobile first design.

IF mobile devices weren't dominating the landscape, do you really think websites would grow that way? Websites are designing to their majority audience.

Archived