Nice France controversial artwork

ScotM

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i didnt look into the background of this poster. im guessing this sint intended to be a memorial piece or represent any person/organization specifically right?? 

this seems just like a reactionary art piece. it feels to me like the artist felt something strong about this, and used those emotions to create this piece. and the end result is a visual expression - if he/she felt hurt or scared by the incident, then maybe those are the feelings theyre trying to evoke in the audience. and maybe this is an important piece because if that

what i love about it is the reactions its gotten in this thread alone. does it upset people? make them feel uneasy? well maybe it should. as an artistic statement, its clever, its emotional, and its honest. i dont think its supposed to make you feel good about Nice, its supposed to hit you with some honesty. 

Shock value alone is not an artistic statement without depth to back it up. Strip away the context and the shock value from this poster and you're left with a graphic that looks boring and amateurish. All in all, it reeks of a cheap attempt by the artist to use a tragedy to draw attention to themselves.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don't think it was the artists intention to memorialize the events. But to use the tire tracks to tell a story. And to use the colours of the flag to tie the two together.

Personally, I don't even think the date is necessary. I think it detracts from the overall message.

As BrandMoore said, art is made to provoke reaction, even if that reaction is anger. 

12 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Shock value alone is not an artistic statement without depth to back it up. Strip away the context and the shock value from this poster and you're left with a graphic that looks boring and amateurish. All in all, it reeks of a cheap attempt by the artist to use a tragedy to draw attention to themselves.

Why do you think it's boring, or amateur?

Would this artwork exist without context? Personally, I think it's the context that makes it a powerful piece.

How does it draw attention to the artist? The piece is unsigned.

21 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'm assuming the poster is supposed to express sympathy, but I honestly thought it was ISIS propaganda celebrating the attack at first glance. When the intended message of the poster is so far off from what viewers come away thinking it represents, it isn't good design.

It's also extremely insensitive and tasteless.

I couldn't agree more.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Reads too much to me like a celebration of the event, not a remembrance of the dead. 

I get no sense of sadness or loss. Without it, incorporating the French flag into the tracks instead connotes victory, or at the most generous a French responsibility for the act. 

Art should provoke a reaction but artists should consider what that reaction is.  Being a provocateur for its own sake is as easy as it is empty. 

Archived