NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

I'm kind of glad that there's more gray space around the SAC logo on the King's shorts. Definitely see it as an improvement over last year.

Yeah, the logo on the shorts last year just looked like it was stuck on and overlapped the piping. Everything looks to flow much better on the Nike uniform model, which is probably what they were basing their new uni design on anyway and just stuck it on the Adidas model for last season lol

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I really hope Nike re-designs the cut in the shorts... these stripes have that odd, diverting angle...

Add me to the unpopular opinion section.  I am kinda of digging the cuts in the shorts. :huh:

I'm curious to hear Nike's claims about the performance benefits of adding that off-center vent in the shorts.  Having "overlapping" material has to add weight compared to a simple cut-out notch (obviously), so what's the upside? 

21 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Finally a real life look at the backs of the jerseys. It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, though it's certainly not ideal. I don't mind the cuts in the shorts at all though, and it's much easier to see the practical advantages of them than the advantages of the backs of the jerseys.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Is it just me or is that blue slightly darker? For some reason the Icon Edition looks much sharper than I previously remember. 

I had the same thought when I saw those 2k screenshots of Paul George but I figured it was darker because of the lighting. Now I'm seriously suspicious that they've changed navy to maybe even black.

2 minutes ago, keynote said:

I'm curious to hear Nike's claims about the performance benefits of adding that off-center vent in the shorts.  Having "overlapping" material has to add weight compared to a simple cut-out notch (obviously), so what's the upside? 

It's for range of motion. The overlapping cuts in the shorts allows for a broader range of motion than if there aren't any cuts at all.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, gopistons899004 said:

I wonder if the names on the back of the jerseys will be arched now? I don't think the Pistons have ever done that.

Also, I'm guessing that the Motor City and Chrome jerseys are gone?

I'm hoping that's just a mockup error by whatever vendor the Pistons used to put that site together.

As for the jerseys, I can't imagine Chrome is gone, considering the Pistons just officially added gray to the color scheme. On the flip side, navy was removed, so I imagine Motor City is retired, probably replaced with the old red alternate.

1 minute ago, honeybadger said:

I had the same thought when I saw those 2k screenshots of Paul George but I figured it was darker cause of the lighting. Now I'm seriously suspicious that they've changed navy to maybe even black

I meant the main sky blue, but the navy side panels do look darker as well now that you mention it....huh. 

6 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

It's for range of motion. The overlapping cuts in the shorts allows for a broader range of motion than if there aren't any cuts at all.

But if with middle side-cuts there was still range of motion.  The front side cut has to make .0000000000002% diiference.

7 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

I had the same thought when I saw those 2k screenshots of Paul George but I figured it was darker cause of the lighting. Now I'm seriously suspicious that they've changed navy to maybe even black

It's still navy.  Doesn't look any darker than this.

5321047-8557470986-14657.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

Yeah, but basketball shorts are relatively roomy, and the the vent hits at the lower thigh, not at the hip.  This isn't like a suit vent (which relieves pressure around the hips when the jacket is buttoned) or a vent on a pencil skirt (which has to accommodate the motion of two legs).  Unless players are wearing *extremely* slim-fitting shorts that would constrict the hamstrings and quads while flexing, what range of motion would be impeded by a traditional notch?  And, is that performance benefit enough to offset the "burden" of the additional weight added by overlapping material?  These uni manufacturers have been crowing about how many ounces they've shaved off the weight of uniforms in recent years; they'd presumably need a good to reverse that trend.

Plus the benefit of freedom of motion is offset by the redistribution of weight (of the shorts) towards the back, thereby being pulled down by gravity when the knees go up.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah I know when wearing some basketball shorts the part that kinda catches when you get low in a defensive stance is the part where the new slit is. Not sure if its for just some shorts or not, but I know Nike will have a very good reason for it.

1 minute ago, insert name said:

Look at this, no ads. I love it! 

That's certainly ideal.  But like I said about my Wizards earlier, I'm sure Thunder fans would gladly take on a jersey sponsor if it meant having the cash reserves to pay the luxury tax for as long as possible.  The infamous Harden trade was arguably motivated by their disinterest in (or inability to) pay all of those salaries at once.

3 minutes ago, DJT said:

Yeah I know when wearing some basketball shorts the part that kinda catches when you get low in a defensive stance is the part where the new slit is. Not sure if its for just some shorts or not, but I know Nike will have a very good reason for it.

Good point.  Perhaps the vent will help as shorts hike up -- especially now that shorts are indeed cut a little slimmer than they were during the '00s.

Archived