The FrankenJets

On 4/14/2017 at 1:44 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It was the White Sox who invented throwbacks in 1990 by holding a "Turn Back the Clock" day, on which they wore 1917 uniforms.

download.jpg.1aece923d87308f89b582ed057dc58e6.jpg

20170414_013846.jpg.38310390917ceba601115316464e794d.jpg  041713-McDowell-01.jpg.b15f3cce477fb99e38f3ca174536623b.jpg

The phillies also had "nostalgia" day starting in '91 (possibly to gauge interest in the forthcoming redesign). 

16171a_med.jpeg

There were a bunch of throwback games starting in 92 when everyone got in on the act. They wore these in SF that year:

giants.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a Jets fan, I never knew this combination of green helmet and Namath era jerseys existed, even for such a short little time. When the fauxbacks were used that one year in the 90's, the green helmet was so jarring with the Namath era jerseys. I think it was because there was such a stronger sense of the jerseys being associated with the Super Bowl and that those wonderful uniforms were dormant for such a long time prior to that. As much as I loved the initial change to the new-Namath era jerseys, I did feel sad about losing the green helmet. Now, after using the current set for so long (I believe this season may make the current set in use longer than the green helmet set) and seeing the uniforms become worse and worse and bastardized to every suppliers' templates and mismatched greens, I would totally welcome switching the helmets back to the green ones without ruining the 'Namath era look' of the uniforms. 

Also, please drop the forest and olive green stuff and go back to the kelly green!

On 4/14/2017 at 1:02 PM, gosioux76 said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually think the addition of black to the Jets uniform was one of the few BFBS situations that worked. I really liked those uniforms. 

I am with you.  I generally hate "just add black" and feel it ruined the Mets, Royals, Reds, Lions, Flames, and probably some others.  Green and white can be good, but for some reason, I really liked the black added to the Jets and I really cannot articulate why.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:
On 15/04/2017 at 0:38 AM, Jungle Jim said:

The jet with the entrails behind it was perfect for a team called the Jets.  

I am now picturing a jet with entrails behind it... intimidating.

I have been cracking up about this for a full day.  I imagine a Far Side strip showing a group of mountain goats with a gap in the group, and one goat puts his head up and says, "Hey, where's Ron?"

Anyway, while I was happy to see the Jets' classic logo come back, I now think the 80s helmet would be better.  Unlike the Giants' 80s helmet, which I hate, the Jets' helmet has a wordmark which is short enough to look good on a helmet.  And it goes well with the classic uniform.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Unpopular opinion here: I actually prefer the Jets with a white helmet than with a green helmet. I think the color balance is far superior with white lids, especially when paired with the current home uniforms - the white lids, white sleeves, and white pants perfectly balance out the green jersey and green socks. Given the contrasting sleeves, I think the white helmet looks far superior.

That said, I'd like a return to the old "JETS" wordmark on the helmet (in green, on a white helmet). I generally don't like wordmarks on helmets, but much like @Ferdinand Cesarano said, I think the Jets wordmark might be the exception that proves the rule - it's short enough to work as a helmet logo.

Though one other interesting idea I've had for a Jets helmet - what if you took the wing from the "JETS" wordmark, and just used that as a wraparound logo (a la the Seahawks)? I think it'd look really good, personally, and be the best distillation of the team name in logo form.

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The phillies also had "nostalgia" day starting in '91 (possibly to gauge interest in the forthcoming redesign). 

16171a_med.jpeg

That's more or less the exact uniform I wish they had gone with. Maybe cleanup the wordmark a little, and blue stars would be fine. But that appears to be a darker red than what they use currently, and would be less susceptible to giving off a pinkish hue when viewed from afar. Also, that's a far more attractive wordmark than the dated, bubbly font they currently use.

My ultimate preference would be for that wordmark/pinstripes in maroon - a bit of a combination of eras for the Phils. But the above looks fantastic and is ultimately superior to what they're wearing now.

Yep, it's superior in every way. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yep, it's superior in every way. 

. . . right down to the cap logo.

richie-ashburn-autographed-phillies-basemXMbN.jpg

. . . even if it doesn't match the P in the wordmark as well as the current one.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I thought the current set was a decent update to this look. The cartoony name and number font is what ruins it for me. Change that, and the Phils are fine, unless of course they want to go back to the 80's look, then I'm down with that too. 

Archived