Jump to content

The FrankenJets


Recommended Posts

A very unusual crossing of the Jets new and old occurred for a hot second in 1977. As many know the Jets transitioned from the Namath era (which had already been altered slightly) uniforms to their new look in 1977. 

 

For some odd reason during the 1977 pre season the Jets wore the new helmet with the old rest of the uniforms. Not sure if they just weren't ready to roll out the new jerseys/pants/socks or they legit wanted to just change the helmet and helmet only and saw that it just didn't work.

 

The jersey/pants/socks they eventually settled on were pretty basic and spartan so it's not like they were working on anything revolutionary. The helmet I've always loved...the rest of the set was kind of meh. 

 

78p1atlnyj.jpg 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

A very unusual crossing of the Jets new and old occurred for a hot second in 1977. As many know the Jets transitioned from the Namath era (which had already been altered slightly) uniforms to their new look in 1977. 

 

For some odd reason during the 1977 pre season the Jets wore the new helmet with the old rest of the uniforms. Not sure if they just weren't ready to roll out the new jerseys/pants/socks or they legit wanted to just change the helmet and helmet only and saw that it just didn't work.

 

The jersey/pants/socks they eventually settled on were pretty basic and spartan so it's not like they were working on anything revolutionary. The helmet I've always loved...the rest of the set was kind of meh. 

 

78p1atlnyj.jpg 

 

 

 

 

This would be beautiful, I'd love to see a return of this logo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

This was in 1993. Throwback to the SB3 uniforms... except they have the wrong helmet.

 

boomer-esiason-qb-12.jpg

 

+2 more pictures

 

This was essentially the beginning of throwbacks for the NFL (I think the NHL's 75th throwbacks really started the idea in all Big-4 sports).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Giants did a similar thing in the 1975 preseason.  They wore their new helmets, with the capital NY, but with the old uniforms.  Below see that look compared to the full 1975 look.

 

Image result for 1975 craig morton   Image result for 1975 craig morton

 

 

What's weirder, in the preseason game against the Jets, only quarterback Craig Morton had a logo on his helmet; everyone else had blank helmets.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Giants did a similar thing in the 1975 preseason.  They wore their new helmets, with the capital NY, but with the old uniforms.  Below see that look compared to the full 1975 look.

 

 

What's weirder, in the preseason game against the Jets, only quarterback Craig Morton had a logo on his helmet; everyone else had blank helmets.
 

 

 

Back in the '80s, I used to think blank helmets were the norm thanks to Topps football cards :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:
15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

This was essentially the beginning of throwbacks for the NFL (I think the NHL's 75th throwbacks really started the idea in all Big-4 sports).

 

You can go a bit further, 1991-1992 NHL season when they original 6 throwbacks

 

 

It was the White Sox who invented throwbacks in 1990 by holding a "Turn Back the Clock" day, on which they wore 1917 uniforms.

 

download.jpg.1aece923d87308f89b582ed057dc58e6.jpg

 

20170414_013846.jpg.38310390917ceba601115316464e794d.jpg  041713-McDowell-01.jpg.b15f3cce477fb99e38f3ca174536623b.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2017 at 8:04 AM, Old School Fool said:

This was in 1993. Throwback to the SB3 uniforms... except they have the wrong helmet.

 

boomer-esiason-qb-12.jpg

 

161173073-leonard-marshall-of-the-new-yo 

 

brad-baxter-of-the-new-york-jets-carries

The NFL did not require that the helmets match the uniforms that were being presented. This is why some of the throwbacks weren't 100% accurate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2017 at 5:53 AM, MJWalker45 said:

They screwed up by putting black facemasks on. They should go back to those helmets with the current logos.

 

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually think the addition of black to the Jets uniform was one of the few BFBS situations that worked. I really liked those uniforms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree.  I have hated just about every case where black was added to uniforms since then, but it really worked with that uniform.

 

And just to be clear, yes, the green helmets are superior, but it's the logo that is really so much better.  The jet with the entrails behind it was perfect for a team called the Jets.  My guess is that, had they not won Super Bowl III, they may never have returned to the traditional look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

I agree.  I have hated just about every case where black was added to uniforms since then, but it really worked with that uniform.

 

And just to be clear, yes, the green helmets are superior, but it's the logo that is really so much better.  The jet with the entrails behind it was perfect for a team called the Jets.  My guess is that, had they not won Super Bowl III, they may never have returned to the traditional look.

 

I am now picturing a jet with entrails behind it... intimidating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.